Could it Be?

Written in response to: Write a story where ghosts and the living coexist.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Suspense

(This was a planned writing as I mentioned in my last post. Like and follow for more!)

In all my life, both living and dead, I had hoped that staying on the planet alongside all my peers would be fun. To see the world as a ghost, live forevermore. I moved into my neighbors home, Harold's home. But, as a ghost living in a real person's home, it was not often that we interacted.

Now, ghosts are supposed to do all the scarring. But I'm like a regular person. Sometimes I think it's funny, if I notice a bad person, I haunt them. Sometimes I appear from nowhere if I feel like scarring somebody, for laughs. But otherwise, no. Anyways, my story starts one night. when I was fast asleep.

Tap…Tap…Tap…Tap

Why, the rain tapping, rapping at my window came, I jolted upright. Why, I had nightmares all night. Just a normal occurrence I thought to myself. But yet, I felt uneasy. Why, it was not normal for me to have nightmares. Just silly of me really, thinking it could be real. But no. Tap…Tap…Tap… The noise continued. I look out of the curtain and saw rain. 

“See! Why, just my thoughts. No issues. It’s fine.” I kept my curtain open, and I lied back down, rolled over and went back to sleep. 

But, oh, my nightmares grew worse and worse. Tap…Tap…Tap… I jolted upright again with a start. This time I saw a shadow! I screamed from fright! A big, shadow, that was pointy! Something must be wrong! I turned on my light and looked back out my window, but no. There was nothing there but the rain. Just the rain and some clouds. I stayed up longer this time, for I was sure that I was just seeing and hearing things before, but now, with the shadow…no, no.

“See, just being silly, nothing can be there. Nothing is there. All is well.” I turned my light off again and lay back down and soon, I was sleeping again. 

But this time my nightmares returned. The tapping grew to be part of it. All I remembered was the tapping, I answered, and there was…well, that was when I woke up again. I couldn’t bear to see what was coming for me. The danger that lurked behind that door. So, simply, I rolled over and rested my head and fell back asleep. 

Yet, my nightmares were relentless. I tried to stop them, but I could not. The next time that I awoke, It was a knock that startled me out of my troublous fearful dreams. It returned moments later. Knock. Knock. Knock. Cautiously I opened the door to find…darkness. Rain, and darkness. “Just the rain. No trouble awaits me,” I said, but I was starting to question it. I closed the door, but made double sure it was shut, and went back to my bedroom. 

I did not sleep. I could not, not anymore. I was tired, but I could not bring myself to do it. And I saw the shadow. And heard all this tapping. And hoped, prayed, tried to do anything not to scream. I was now pacing, when I heard another knock, and I went to the door. When I opened it, it was not just the rain that awaited me. It was not just me going crazy. It was not just some shadow, no, it was the figure that had made the shadow. I was sure of it. It was large and dark, just like what I had seen. 

It was a very tall man. I screamed and ran away, I tried escaping out of the backdoor, but the figure had followed me. Run. Run! RUN! I went with all my might, not caring about my shoes or anything, but it felt like the figure kept trying to talk to me. I ran further and further into my backyard. I screamed, but my backyard was just wilderness. I was going to die, at the hands of the shadow! 

I realized that I started crying, and I had no clue where I was going. I was running to save my life. My feet hurt, everything hurt, after the brush and thorns had hit and scraped my skin. But I couldn’t stop. Anything to save my life.I would hear their shouts, and I kept going. They were yelling, shouting, to get me to stop.

“Stop!” I’d keep running. 

“Slow down!” I’d run faster. 

“Please!” But no, I would not stop or slow down. If I did, who knows? They might hurt me, or worse. After this chant of yelling at me, and my name too, I came to recognize the voice a bit more. It was male. I could swear I knew the voice. It was almost familiar, but as I kept going. I was not about to stop and see who it was. I was going to be safe. Perhaps they had been plotting it, getting closer to me, but I did not realize! They grew shorter in breath, and was audibly hoarser and hoarser. I had stopped screaming, it hurt to do so anymore. My cries were not going to save me.

And then I stumbled and fell over a root. And my tears poured harder, as I knew my fate was upon me. I wept, and I know got a better look at my demise. A man, in jeans, all dirty and sweaty from running. Wet from the pouring rain, just like me. I tried to scream, but I had no more voice really. So I stared right at them. It was my end. It…It was…It was…my neighbor? 

“Harold? What are you doing up so early? Why are you out here? Why were you chasing me? Are you ok? What’s happening?” Harold comforted me. He said he heard my screams from the middle of the night and decided to check on me after I wasn’t screaming so much anymore. I must’ve done it in my sleep. He took me back to my house, and I was forever grateful that he had been there. 

October 20, 2023 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.