0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Happy

He was known as Spark. How or why that name applied was not known. However he had not a spark for studies: He had given up after passing high school. His father was a college professor and had tried to reignite Spark to study further, but the son remained rigid in refusing further study.

Spark was tall and handsome with a mod haircut of his dense hair. He had been a sports aficionado while in school. He now patronized a gym near his home. His time was spent between gym and home. His father’s friend had suggested that Spark could take up the job of a travelling salesman but Spark wasn’t interested.

Spark had many friends and he would help then in several ways. For instance his friend’s father had been transferred to another city and his goods were to be shifted. Spark stayed and supervised the packing as there was no one else to do it. The tenant of a house near his had an electrical problem and had called an electrician who never came. Spark was good at electrical work and set the fault right. Another friend had to carry heavy equipment for repair. Spark helped in carrying it on his scooter. As a result of his helping others, he was very popular. It was not a one way street: His friends would also help him equally.

Jose who lived near Spark’s house was a politician. He had now to stand for re-election and chose Spark to help. Jose got Shirley a young woman graduate to campaign among women. Shirley was good at computers and she educated Spark in using a laptop. She found he picked up the knowledge very quickly. Spark and Shirley worked night and day to canvas for Jose and he was re-elected by a big margin. Jose paid Spark and Shirley well for the trouble they had taken. He offered a job to Shirley in a government department and she accepted.

Jose spoke separately to Spark. “Spark, you’re a good worker and you could join my party. You could also climb in the political field.”

Spark said “Sir, I’ve seen political struggles and corruption in politics. I don’t think I would fit in.”

Jose said “Think it over. Consult your father. Then come back to me. Don’t reject my offer straightaway.”

Spark told his father about Jose’s suggestion. His father said “Spark you’ve already wasted a lot of time and haven’t settled in life. I know some of your friends and school mates are well-settled. It is not that you’re a dummy. On the contrary you’re intelligent and very hard working. Only fact is you have neglected studies. I have advised you many times about the importance of higher education, but you haven’t paid heed. Jose is a very influential politician with a lot of political clout. I feel you should listen to him.”

“Dad, I hate studies. I know home electrical work. Besides I’ve learnt use of a PC. Jose has presented me one. Can I not earn a living with what I have learnt?”

Dad said “The knowledge you have has a shelf life. Technology changes. Without in-depth knowledge absorbed by study you may be forced to live in poverty. Think it over.”

Then came covid. It came to Spark as well. He was found covid positive and was confined in his home and treated with various medications. After his isolation Spark had a change in thinking. He had actually felt he would die and was scared. In fact he had even started reading prayer mantras. Luckily he survived and his parents gave thanks for saving their son.

Jose again called Spark and said “Do me a favour. Attend the course on covid and more than that on the way it spreads. It would be only three days or so. Then I’ll use you to help people understand the seriousness of the disease and the way they should protect themselves.”

Spark said “I’m scared of medical treatments and hospitals.”

“I’m not asking you to go to covid wards where the seriously infected are being treated. You’ll get over the fear.”

“I don’t understand treatment procedures. My father had a problem and was treated by an orthopaedician who prescribed a certain medicine. The diabetologist said taking the prescribed medicine is not advisable. There are specialists like left nose etc as jocularly said, but there is no one who is supreme to prescribe. The whole system is in doubt in my mind.”

“You’re thinking about someone like the chief of defence staff coordinating all defence forces but such a person for medicine doesn’t exist as of now. There’s nothing to be scared about.”

Spark said “Alright. I’ll attend the course and start helping people to defend themselves against covid.”

Spark made his first visit to the non-covid hospital where the course was conducted. At lunch time he went to the canteen. One man asked him if he was a patient when Spark replied in the negative. The man said “My wife has been admitted here as she has suffered a stroke. The medical expenses are prohibitively high. All my savings are gone.”

Spark felt sad hearing the story. He went back and learnt about use of O2, concentrators and so on. The course specialist continued “When the man or woman is treated here, we give various medications. We provide O2. Some patients struggle a lot but finally die. I am a doctor and know that all human life has to end but the grief of the kin is extremely pathetic to watch. There is death in the middle of life.”

One participant asked “Doctor, is it true that the body of one who died of covid wouldn’t be given to kin?”

“You see we don’t want the infection to spread. The bodies of the dead will be cremated appropriately. A woman who lost her husband to covid was so overcome that she wanted to enter the ward and catch the infection to die but what about their 2 children? It is people like you who should go ahead and encourage the kin of the deceased to continue living. You will hear several accounts of sorrow. Of children who have been orphaned.  Of survivors not wanting to survive. Of the poverty stricken left without means. You should counsel them.”

After three days of hearing about covid and a week of exposure to the recovered, Spark went to Jose and said “I’ve been fully exposed to what happens if covid strikes. Not only covid. I want to assuage human suffering through disease. Please take me into politics. I’m resolved to help people. May be some day I could become a minister of health.”

Jose said “You’re sincere. Come into my party and I’ll give you all help. End vagrancy. This is a window of opportunity opening for you.” He thought for a moment and added “There is something personal I’ve been hesitating to talk to you about. Remember Shirley who campaigned with you?”

Spark nodded. Jose said “She has been very impressed with you about your sincerity and hard work. She is now working in a permanent government job. She is a distant kin of my wife. My wife said I should speak to you about marriage.’

“But sir, she is a graduate and I’m only.......”

“Overlook all that. You probably don’t know that I’m a graduate whereas my wife has also a law degree. You’re going to be a politician. You’ve no job now. Shirley can be your sheet anchor despite knowing your father would be leaving property to you. If you agree I ‘ll speak to your father about Shirley.”

“Please do as you think appropriate. I’ll take your advice in everything.”

END

June 09, 2021 12:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.