0 comments

Desi Drama Romance

“I am better at home only, besides there is rarely someone my age there,” cried Chacha Ji from the far end of the house, “I have this habit of staying alone, you’ll please enjoy.”

Swagat gazed at his father not believing, and said, “It's alright dad, I will stay with you the whole time.”

 Chacha Parminder had been living in a village named Tautar about a hundred miles from the city. He had been living in the village his entire life, earlier with the whole family, and later with his wife Chachi Rama, after the children left to mind their own businesses. Chacha Parminder owned few acres of land in Tautar and an ancestral house with a large verandah that could accommodate his cattle, his tractor, a Neem tree, and a couple of khats (desi cots) for him and his friends’ evening chats.

He had spent a large amount of time like this as a man with freedom. His children Swagat with Shyama with their families would visit him once a while during summer or winter vacations. Children would have quite a time in the large house and make ruckus all around.

In Tautar too Chacha Parminder was known for his free will and jovial nature. His friends were fond of his bhangra (a Punjabi folk dance) at the parties. He was invited to most of the village festivities. People used to say that there is no life in the functions if Chacha Parminder is not there. When CHacha Parminder is making a dazzle, Chachi Rama would laugh and joke around in the corners for his weird ways commenting ‘you started again!.’ It was after Chachi Rama passed away due to internal cancer, that Chacha Ji felt much alone. He stopped going to the parties altogether, realizing that he had been doing all this for her, and now he just doesn’t feel like dancing and partying anymore. He kept himself busy with daily chores of feeding the cattle and tending to his fields. He was feeling old in a very short time, not that he was young at 80 but Chachi Ji’s death had taken a toll on him. His son Swagat asked him to move with them, and so he was brought to the city. It has been more than six months since he has moved to the city. His health had stabilized, but even being surrounded by children and family, he kept things to himself. Staying in a city house was not an easy task for him he longed for his house in Tautar and for the most part he longed for the sweet smile of his late wife.

“We will not listen Dadu, you have to come with us,” said Sweaty, younger daughter of Swagat. Sweaty was only five years old but she understood a lot about her grandfather. So she would spend her most of the time with him right from her homework to dinner. Sweaty’s elder brother Rohan who was already in his senior secondary classes mostly spent his time attending tuitions and school, but he too was very fond of his grandfather and wouldn’t miss a chance of hearing a tale from his dear old Dadu or Chacha Parminder. Chacha Parmender’s most of the time passed with the family, but whenever he is alone he would miss his old times spent with his beloved wife.

At last Chacha Parminder agreed to go with everybody to this reception party of one of Swagat’s colleagues. He had not been much outside in the last six months, since the time he had arrived in the City.  All boarded the car and reached the venue in about two hours. Children kept him engaged all through the journey. After reaching Swagat accompanied his father for some time and then got engaged with some of his colleagues.

It was a typical city-type function in an open farmhouse in the outskirts of the city. Chacha Parmender was looking at the lighting decorations all around when patted his shoulder from behind, “Oye Parminder! How come you are here you rascal?” Chacha Parmender turned around to see two familiar faces Shambhu and Akdu from the village.

His face lit up seeing them and he replied “Oye! Shambhu, Akdu, you two here!”, He was amazed to see them and instantly got up from his seat. “I just came here with my son Swagat, he is over there. But did you to get here, have you been following me,” joked Chacha Parminder.

“You will not change you old brat,” replied Akdu, “That’s my nephew’s reception. He has married Shambhu’s granddaughter. So many people from Tautar are here. I had been looking for you so long. There was not much whereabouts of you with anyone in the village. Also, I was doubtful that you would come so I told Swagat to call you this way. I am glad you arrived.”

In a few minutes, tens of people gathered around Chacha Parminder. He was jovial to see his village folks. They had all the chit-chats and laugh about. “We miss you bhangra a lot Chacha JI,” said Purshottam, another fine lad Chacha Ji had seen grow up. “Chacha Ji why not have a performance right now, please,” asked another one.

“I don’t dance any more friends,” Chacha Ji replied smiling at fine charming faces looking at him. His family including Swagat and his grandchildren Sweaty and Rohan joined everyone. Then Sweaty stepped forward and requested, “Dadu! Can you show bhangra just once for me..Please Dadu,” and she folded her hands.

Parminder was surprised to see so much love and excitement in everyone’s eyes that he agreed to dance. Within a few minutes, the dhol players who were playing beside the stage were called. Akdu and Shambhu guided the dhol players to play a certain type of folk beats, and the beats started. Everyone was already tapping their feet and waiting for Chacha Parminder to start.

Chacha Parminder was looking at how the atmosphere of the party changed to his likings. Akdo held his hand and forced him to get up and dance. The moment he started everyone started clapping to the beats. Within moments everyone joined in and started to enjoy. It was after a great many days that Chacha Parminder stood up to perform his loved dance. Chacha Ji was looking all around when he was almost shocked to see a lady smile in the crowd. His tears of happiness floated his eyes to see the image of his late wife Rama, standing right in the corner, blushing and saying “Bless you, my love. Keep dancing the life away!” In the next moment, there was no one in that corner.

May 14, 2021 16:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.