1 comment

Fiction Horror Mystery

       I got a text from my friend, telling me to watch this creepy video that was just posted on this website I wasn’t familiar with. It seemed sketchy though my impulses acted anyway. I plop my laptop on my queen sized bed and close my door, turning the lights off behind me. I need a good scare anyway, besides how scary could it be? I've seen the green inferno, it was more gross than terrifying though still my point was I can take the worst. 

     I get myself comfortable, laying down with my laptop on my stomach. I searched up the website as it had a black background with the video big and bold in my face. I scrolled up and down curious to see if there was any comment section or extra information to know. Nothing. I felt like I was stalling, my heart started to race. What if this was a bad idea? I went to my phone and texted my friend who sent the video but there was no answer for minutes. 

     I gave up on trying to save myself from this video and I clicked the big sideways triangle button. It starts with creepy music, old 60’s tunes. Then flashing images, all of different disturbing things. It was like watching the ring tape but it was real. I felt like I was being hypnotized, flashing lights of different kinds of insects and people I don’t recognize are on my screen.

   A good minute of images until a woman that was eligible to be in a nightmare with bulging eyes that look straight into your soul, her nose is small and button-like as her mouth was wide enough to put your whole fist inside. The teeth looked yellow and crooked. Her hair was long and black, it looked like hay and maybe felt like hay too. She was smiling at me, smiling at everyone who watched it. But it especially creeped me out when I got chills down my spine. Making eye contact with the woman in all black. One thing I noticed was bugs, it looked like cockroaches were coming out of her nose and mouth. I don’t recall seeing those before when the video first announced her. 

     The camera would slowly zoom into her mouth and then cut to a scene where it’s a playground with kids in bunny masks covered in red blood, then it cuts to a man walking down a sidewalk with oddly specific features. He was wearing a black top hat with a tuxedo that was all in white he was carrying a machete and smoking a cigar and managing to whistle a tune so specific it was like a birds song that was low tuned. 

         Then, it just stops. I froze, my jaw dropped. It left me speechless, what the hell was that? Surely something I’ve never seen before on the internet. I close my eyes then my laptop. I breathe in then out. I open my eyes. It’s normal, of course it would be normal it’s just a stupid video trying to get a scare out of me. It was late at night, and I decided to get to bed. I get up and put my laptop on my dresser. I yawn, putting myself back into my cozy bed and fall fast asleep. 

       When I wake up, I wake up in cold sweat. I gasp for air as I lift my upper body from my lying position. I must’ve had a nightmare, the video I watched last night replayed in my dreams. I get out of bed and decide to take a shower after all I do have disgusting sweat on my body. 

     Hoping in the cold shower, I stand there, the hot water hitting my face. I freeze, my heart jumps out of my body. I hear something, something familiar. It was a whistle behind the shower. I freak out, sliding the shower curtain open. Nothing. I guess I was imagining it. I close the curtain and finish up my shower pretty quickly due to the fact I feel like I’m not alone. 

      I’m back in my room, wrapped up in a towel as I lean down to grab the handle of the bottom drawer. I hear my name behind me, I quickly turn around basically jumping forward almost bumping into my dresser. There was nobody there, it was so strange and creeped me the hell out. Should I call the police? I agree to my question and would walk over to my phone dialing 911. I hold the phone up to my ear as it was ringing for what felt like minutes before a woman picked up the phone 

“This is 911. What is your emergency?”

“Yes hello, my name is Annabelle and I would like to report someone in my house.”

“I’m sorry, I’m unable to hear you at the mo-..”

There was static in her voice, then the phone just hung up. I decide, if I can’t call the police I’ll just remove myself from my house. I get dressed as I haven’t already, and quickly dash out of my house. Before I reach my hand out to the front door handle I hear something running behind me. My skull jumps out of my body as I swing the door open and close it behind me. I dash next door to my neighbors house. I frantically knock on their door. No answer. I curse under my breath knowing I’m in danger.

   I walk over to the town that is next to my neighborhood and I calm down, not enough to be stably okay though I feel safe. I try to find the police station though when I go to the spot it’s not there, only what has replaced it, an ice cream shop. I was confused, because I passed this street 2 days ago to run a couple of errands and there was the police station right there.

       I walked inside there, I have no idea why but it was like something was lightly pushing me to the door and to the handle. It made a little ring as the door was pushed, I slowly and cautiously walked deeper inside. I didn’t notice it until now, but I was twiddling with my fingers the whole time I was inside. Though when I look around, I see something. There were kids, but the kids that were in the video and in my dream. White bunny masked kids covered in red blood. I sweat, and gulp, what the hell was going on?

     I want to run away, I want to leave, but my body won’t allow me to. It was attached to this place like glue and sparkles. I walk up to the counter, my mouth goes wide open in disgust and surprise and all of these emotions that were surrounding my body right now. That woman, her eyes were staring right at me and her smile was disgusting. You could see her rotting teeth. I wanted to vomit, my stomach was doing summersaults. 

“What can I get for you Annabelle?”

She knew my name? I didn’t answer, I shook my head slowly and backed away. 

“No…I have to wake up. This is a dream? This has to be a dream right?”

I say out loud. I close my eyes, I count to 10.

1….2…3…4…5-

I say them out loud, then I hear a voice the same voice but she was saying.

“Ma'am are you alright?”

I raise a brow, I open my eyes one by one. I look at the woman. She is different, with blonde hair instead of black hair. Her eyes were small and sunken. Her mouth was small and oval shaped. She looked…normal. I then look around the ice cream shop. It wasn’t an ice cream shop, it was the police station. I look back at the woman, and smile.

“Um ma’am? You have bugs crawling out of your mouth. Do you need help?”

I was confused, and was really concerned. I run to the bathroom and look in the mirror. I look at myself. And see that…

I was the woman in the video the whole time.

July 23, 2021 19:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ashton Newland
18:59 Aug 02, 2021

Ooh! I liked this. Fun little horror story! Great descriptions on scenes, visually tantalizing, but I did kinda want more descriptions too. I only noted a couple spelling errors (I notice them in my own submissions too), but nothing that distracted from the story as a whole. Looking forward to more.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.