0 comments

Adventure Drama

Juliet woke up in a soft, warm bed lined with heaters. The white starchy blanket curled up around her toes, and when she looked to the side, Tsar, her parrot, cawed beside her. When she looked to the other side, a row of maids stood, waiting for her to wake. Her handmaiden, Dani, gently took off her night clothes and before Juliet could get a smooth breath, the corset and cinches were strapped tightly around it, constricting her lungs. “Dani, darling, can’t I leave it off?” she asked. Dani, shaking her head, replied. “Princess, that won’t be. Your Mother and Father request such.” Juliet huffed and picked up her blue, flowing skirts. “One moment, Princess!” she exclaimed, rushing over with small steps. Dani was her most trusted confidant, and they shared everything together. “You forgot your amulet.” Juliet thanked Dani with a smile as she clasped the gold chain with a hanging emerald around her neck. 

Juliet pattered down the velvet covered stairs and slid her hand on the banister, longing to slide down it as she used to when she was a little girl. She halted her thoughts at the sight of her stone faced father, who looked at her emotionless. Juliet was pretty sure that he had no heart at all. The lapels on his jacket were straight and his shoes were shined so clearly you could see yourself in the toes of the shoe. She dipped down into a low curtsy, the fluff from the dress jiggled erratically. Smiling up at her father, she stood dutifully behind him, her hands folded in front of her dress’s soft blue ribbon. She stepped carefully down the slippery floor and sat in the chair that she almost sank in. Juliet pressed her slippers on the carpet to prevent her from falling off. The maids twirled around and placed down a banquet, indeed. Bread rolls lay stacked into towers and cider was poured into silver-like goblets which were in odd shapes. King Roland twisted his mustache and looked down at Juliet, who expected a smile from him. He looked up and down, scanning her dress, than rang a small bell. Juliet sighed as Dani rushed into the dining, room, hurrying behind Juliet’s gold rimmed chair. “Yes, Your Highness?” she questioned, her face pale. “The seams are becoming too big. Stitch them up at once.” Dani bobbed her head up and down, and asked, “Your Highness, should I fetch the Princess?” Juliet crossed her arms, not liking the fact that they talked about her like she wasn’t there, but she knew that it wasn’t Dani’s fault. “Yes. She needs to be slimmer, anyways.” he said, chuckling slightly. Juliet stuffed a cream filled bread roll into one of the secret pockets in her dress and was dragged away by Dani, who was furiously removing the corset to let Juliet breathe.

Sitting on her bed, Juliet let out a full sigh, the corset removed and Dani’s small hands whipping the light thread in and out, tightening the seam. She munched on the roll, and layed flat on the bed, smushing her up do. “I hate this life,” she moaned to Dani. “Your Highness this, your highness that, why can’t I just be a normal teenager!” Dani sighed and pulled Juliet upright, measuring her waist then cutting a seam string a foot shorter. “You do know that no one pities you, they believe that this life is heaven, like those old kings, having servants pluck grapes into their mouth.” she mimed the scene, and Juliet giggled. “If only…” she muttered. Picking up a large book, she flapped through the pages until she reached a marked page. “Aha! The Seer!” She motioned Dani over and pointed to a location on the far end of the kingdom. “Here it says, ‘the seer can grant any wish, big or small’ I would wish to not be a princess again! ” Dani tussled Juliet’s hair and flopped down on the bed. “Juliet, that is your mother’s book from when she was a child. You truly believe a book of myths? Besides, being a princess means you get good food, and you know where you sleep. You would give up that?” “My mother believed in it. The Seer You don’t believe in the Royal family’s thinking? Are you a hagin?” Juliet retorted. Dani mulled over the book, then sat up off the bed. “Right, I should remember my place.” she said. “Dani,” Juliet started. “No. It’s alright, Your Highness. Here, try on the new dress.” 

The rest of the morning Juliet was attempting(failing, really) to talk to Dani again, afraid she had lost another friend. Once, when she was 9, a girl just like Dani, her name was Kendra, had become friends with her. But one day Juliet had said, “You do this because I’m the Princess.” That friendship ended quicker than the lighting of a candle. She noticed Dani, stitching up a petticoat behind a textile, and ran to her. 

“Dani! I didn’t mean it! Please!” she begged.

 Dani stared at her.

 “Just because you are the Princess doesn’t mean you treat others like dirt under their feet! I am not a hagin!” she scolded. 

Juliet bit her lip and looked at her crossed feet sorrowfully. 

“I know, Dani.” she said. 

Even though Dani and her were the same age, she respected Dani more than anyone, even her own father. Juliet felt that she had become selfish and privileged because she was living a life of royalty, when people like Dani were suffering at their hands. “You know what, Juju?” Dani said, calling her by her nickname.

 “Let’s go find that Seer.” 

The two tramped down their secret room and opened the fragile book.

 “Are you sure you want to not be a princess anymore? I mean, where will you go? There truly is no place for you.”

“Well, there is a place. The Seer can reverse roles. I can be you..”

“And you will be me?” Dani questioned. Juliet nodded, a smile appearing on her face. 

“You do know that a Princess is what everyone wants.” she remarked.

“Yes, but they don’t know how pressuring it is. Do you want to be me?”

“Well, I won’t know how to wear such a pretty dress,” motioning to the blue dress Juliet wore.

“Our memories will reverse, Dani. Are you ok with this? I can leave the castle and live with your family.” Juliet said.

Dani smiled. She knew that her family would miss her. 

“Let me visit them on the way, Juliet dear.” 

With that, the plan was ready. Early next morning, Juliet woke silently, creeping over the maids that fell asleep in the chairs next to her bed. A black attire on, she snuck out the window and rolled down on her india-rubber legs to the bottom. Dani stood there, a rope and sword in hand.

“I haven’t seen this type of Dani before.” Juliet smiled. Together they walked on towards the village in the distance. Dani’s family was sleeping soundly in their home, but a light rasp on the door awoke them sharply. Opening the door, Dani squealed like a little girl of nine. Juliet wished she could join the reunion, but she knew it wasn’t her place to barge in. She twisted around the corner of the home, to spy a little girl peeking through the window. Taking out the center gem from her tiara, she handed over the silver lined ruby to the girl. The girl smiled and hid into the safety of the house once more. Dani stepped out, her face rosy with smiling, then they headed on.

They tramped for several hours until the two saw a crooked little house on the edge of the horizon. Juliet spied it first, then ran faster.

“Juju! Slow down!” panted Dani. The moment they reached the home, Juliet knocked on the door smartly. A stooped old man stood in front of them.

“Hello, Seer.” Juliet said, bowing. Dani mimicked the same, her bonnet flapping down over her eyes. 

“What you come here?” he asked with a strange accent. 

“Seer, we wish to reverse roles.” Juliet replied, motioning Dani closer to her.

“Ah.” he remarked. “Well, I need an offering.” he pointed a finger at Juliet’s treasured amulet. 

“Don’t do it, Juju!” Dani pleaded.

Juliet bit her lip. “I’m sorry, Dani.” she handed over the gem and the Seer smiled. “Perfect,” he crooned. He waved a bony hand around and whispered under his breath, 

“Vestidom, reversersum, caldifdrem, Vestidom!” he shrieked, disappearing in a sliver of smoke. 

Dani and Juliet stared at each other. Suddenly they both felt a sharp pain in their side, then a strange crackling in their fingers. The last thing they both saw was a blinding light. 

Juliet woke up. “No! Wait,” she said, confused. She stared at Dani, who was her, then down at her hands. They bore Dani’s!” 

“Dani, Dani!” she woke her. But Dani did not move. 

“Dani? No, no, no!” Juliet shrieked. The amulet lay in Dani’s hand. A note was in the other.

Dear Juliet, it wrote. 

I couldn’t have the Seer take away the amulet, so I offered myself to him. I do hope you understand. Come to my home, I told them what would happen. I love you dearly. Please come to my home. That is my final wish.

Love, Dani

Juliet couldn’t believe it! She sobbed for hours, sitting, holding Dani’s limp body now being nibbled by ants. Juliet wished that she would join Dani, but remembered her last wish. Ok,  she thought. Pulling the first leg up, she started the long trek back towards Dani’s home. 

April 09, 2021 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.