0 comments

General

"Isla, we need you here to protect the civilians. If the building collapses, they may not make it out." calls Detective Alex Denia. I glance over at Eden as she slashes through Maxeen's fire blasts with her water whip, gauging if she needs my help.

Finally, I decide she's fine on her own and run to gather up the civilians.

"Everyone, get near me, now!" I shout, putting my hands together to summon my shield. Brilliant yellow lights forms a dome over us, shielding everyone from any stay fire or water.

I watch the battle between Eden and Maxeen, hoping Eden ends it soon. Maxeen was been causing chaos on the streets for months, and if we don't get her now, we may never have this chance again. Of course, I definitely didn't expect the confrontation to be so huge.

Eden grabs Maxeen's leg with her water whip and snatches it out from under her. The villain hits the ground hard. Before she can get up, Eden overwhelms her with a torrent of water. A blast of fire forces Eden to jump, giving Maxeen enough time to roll over and throw out her hand. A horrible wave of fire comes directly towards the building behind the civilians and I, destroying it and causing it to come crashing down on top of us. I wince as rubble begins to fall onto my shield.

"Isla!" I hear Eden yell. I look up at her and shake my head. I don't get to say anything before we are engulfed in the remains of the building.

"Everybody, quiet!" Detective Denia yells. The civilians hush and begin whispering fearfully. "Isla, are you ok?" he asks me.

I glance up at him and shake my head,"I... I'm not sure how long I can hold it." I admit, putting more strength into my arms as I hold up the shield. Fear passes over his face, but disappears quickly.

"I'm sure Eden will handle it out there and get us out." he says, tone so low I almost miss it.

"No... Eden wouldn't be able to move all this rubble on top of us. I'm not even sure how much is on us right now. I may be able to get it off, but it's risky and may do more harm than good... But if I don't try, we may suffocate in here." I tell him. He crosses his arms and looks around.

"Well, what do you have in mind?"

"Tell everyone to get as close to me as possible, but I need some wiggle room."

"Alright," he says, then turns around,"Everyone get over here. Get as close as you can, but leave a couple feet away from Isla!"

The civilians hurry towards me, the fear on their faces evident. I breathe in deeply, pulling the shield in towards me. I pull it so close that it begins bumping into the people around me, causing them to gasp. When it's as close as possible, I use all the strength I can to push it out. In a matter of second sunlight spills into the shield and rubble is sent out in all directions.

People begin shouting and cheering, running in all directions. I drop to my knees, sweat dripping down my face. I feel hands on my shoulders, shaking me.

"Isla!"

"Isla!"

"Isla!" shouts Eden, kneeling down in front of me,"Are you okay?"

I nod, struggling to stand. She takes my arm and helps me up.

"I haven't seen you do that move since high-school!" she says, patting me on my back.

"Yeah, well, it was a lot harder this time." I say, laughing tiredly, then looking around,"Where's Maxeen?"

"In the fountain." Eden says, pulling me away. I glance back enough to see Maxeen frozen into the remains of a fountain, raging at being caught.

"Let's just head back." I say, leaning onto Eden's shoulder.

"Mmm."

October 19, 2019 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.