0 comments

General

I was at the office, taking a look at her pic.

- She is really , really gorgeous. And we have been dating more than a year. I think it is time to make the so-awaited question - taking a look at my savings and

So I took my cellphone, and send her a message.

Would you marry me? – he asked her, so, she answered the question using another question : 

- Can you wait just a minute please? - hanging up the phone.

- Fine. I will wait for you – I answered to her , in agony for the wait, because most of us do not like to wait.

That, for sure, was not a difficult question, not even hard to understand.

But taking the fact that she had passed through a difficult time due to another man that literally abandoned her – can you believe ¿ - in the entrance to the church, full of well – dressed and snobbish people from the high society she used to hang around with - and , as a matter of fact, I used to hate them all as they were always asking me about the huge party for my marriage with her, the big house in a exclusive building, the brand new and modern car , and so many other things that normally hot me dizzy.

She would certainly be mad about it.

Or maybe insecure on what answer she could give me.

But I asked, anyway.

And I took a look at the watch: it was five o’clock.

- It is tea time – I said, going out, to look for some snacks and maybe a soda.

So I sat down in a cozy chair, full of colorful pillows and a charming song at the background, near a window, where I could see the people.passing by.

Suddenly, a man with a Mexican-style moustache, skinny-fit Jean’s and a really broad shoulder stopped just in front of the window where I was sitting .

At first, it was fun.

But then, after some minutes, I realized that the man was looking at me, as our eyesights crossed over. 

He was speaking something that I could not figure it out.

Pointing his thin and white index  finger at me.

- What the hell is going on in here? – I asked, while checking my messages and calls in my cellphone.

I have to apologize, but I have not really taken a look, as the man in front of me, started to walk towards me.

- Maybe, he wants some money – I thought, checking if I had some coins in my pocket.

- Good ¡ I found some ones – and I really was going to give him the coins.

But – believe me, please! – he just got close enough and – no way, cause I still cannot believe in it – kissed me, in my lips.

At first I did not understand what had happened, as it had never happened to me before. 

But when the kíes finished, I had to assume an obvious discontent and rejection ting behaviour, getting mad af him, fighting for my honor, going to the jail for my misbehaviour.

That was the normal and expected thing to do.

But he took my hands, and caressing it, he asked me :

- Would you marry me ¿ 

What? 

I could not believe it.

The macho side of myself swiftly but really abruptly wanted to knock him down.

- What do you think you are doing? – I asked him, rolling up my sleeves to get into a fight.

- What your girlfriend asked to do – he said that in such a calm and sweet way that it disarmed my macho side of my traditional educatio.

- So, it made think that I was so narrow and so closed minded person that I needed to think again all about my life.

I sat down at the same spot that I was sitting before .

- Well I said, I think it is time to forget  about the happening, and start all over again.

Was I wrong in my thinking? 

What was going on with the girl that I proposed marriage ¿ 

Why did she had to make a man to kiss me ¿ 

It was obvious that she this kindhearted and certainly gay man, had no fault in it.

The fault was mine, to worry about something trivial in other cultures. – yes ¡ they kiss in Russia, man, woman, everybody mixed up.

So, I realized that I was not tricked, but tested by that innocent girl, the gorgeous one.

Or not ¿

A sandwich had been served, together with a freezing soda.

I started to drink and to eat devouring all the food, in an animal instinct of confusion that took my whole mind for granted, as the guy was staring at me.

Ashamed, I asked him to sit down.

- O.k. , but you gave to invite me a drink and a sandwich as I had no lunch today, he asked me, smiling and almost happy.

- I know you did not like what I did, but I am an oid Friends of Carissa, tour gurlfriend, and I net her.

We discussed Kanouté the kind of person you are : shy, introvertido macho. These are the thing she loathes most.

But she wants to get married with you because she likes your talk your profession, your family, and your bank account - and he laughed at it, as it was ment to be taken as a joke.

- Was it a test ,? – I asked him, trying to acknowledge at least the basic information that was hidden between the lines. 

- Yeap – he said that convincing myself, using a straight boucek tone looking at my eyes, deeply and sincere amidst the bundle of confusion that my soul was in that moment.

I saw him, in a different way : he was not a gay not even a bad man. He was just a friend that was trying to help a girl

And, because of that, I think something has changed inside me  like a new way of looking at myself, a new way if thinking.

But..

Why was it needed to test me ¿ 

Was it a proof of love ,? 

Coukd she be sincere and ask me to change or perhaps to be another person, the person she was expecting for ¿

Was it her fear ,? 

After taking all that questions into consideration, I called her.

She did mor answered my call.

So, I texted yo her WhatsAp, with my definite answer, a single word that would change my life and hers  somehow.. 

- I will not marry you. You better not marry me.

That was my answer 

And I invited that guy to ho to the cinema that night.

I have finally found what I was looking for.

-

July 03, 2020 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.