Go, Marvin. You Can Make It

Submitted into Contest #4 in response to: Write a story based on the song title: "You Can Make It If You Try"... view prompt

0 comments

General

Marvin, the mouse, scampered as fast as his little legs and feet could carry him. He had to get to the barn where his family and friends waited. A picnic in his honor to celebrate his “coming of age” was about to begin.

Short of breath, he huffed and puffed as he ran across Farmer Jack’s field toward the barn. “Oh, why didn’t I resist the temptation to go to the cornfield this morning?” he whimpered.

At least a foot high, the grass and weeds in the field next to the patch of planted corn made it impossible for him to run any faster. Soon, a short distance past the tree ahead on his left, the Farmer Jack’s ranch house and barn appeared.

As he attempted to pick up his pace, with no warning, the weeds and grass parted. Down, down, down Marvin went. After what seemed like an eternity, he landed with a thud at the bottom of a deep hole.

As he lay on his back, colored lights and stars danced before his eyes. It took a few minutes for him to realize what had happened and where he was. He turned over, stood, and looked up. His heart sank.

As tears trickled over his whiskers and nose, he looked down and murmured, I’ll never be able to get out of here. It’s too far to the top, Discouraged, he sat contemplating his dilemma.

“#”

Meanwhile, back at the barn, Marvin’s friends began to worry. Marcia, Marvin’s sister, turned to Marvin’s brother, “Melvin, I’m worried. Marvin wouldn’t be late for the picnic. He’s been looking forward to this celebration for weeks. Where could he be?”

“I’m afraid something has happened to Marvin. Let's go looking for him.” Marcia announced to the group of Marvin’s friends gathered for the celebration.

“Let’s form a line and walk across the field, calling his name.”

Melvin responded, “That’s a great idea, Marcia. Let’s do it.”

Marcia said, “Now, once we’re lined up, when I say GO, we all walk across the field, calling Marvin’s name. Wait a few seconds and listen for a response before you call out again. If you think you hear him, call out STOP.”

The group left the barn and formed a line, standing three feet apart.

When Marcia saw everyone was in line, she called out “GO.” They began to walk across the field, yelling Marvin’s name — five minutes, ten minutes, time ticked on. After walking for almost fifteen minutes, Marcia hollered, “STOP!”

Everyone rushed over to Marcia. Melvin asked, “Why did you stop, Marcia? Did you hear Marvin?”

“I think I heard something. Let’s all be real quiet.”

“#”

Down deep in the hole, Marvin thought he heard someone call his name. He listened, but all he heard was a bird chirping on a branch far up in the tree. No, you just imagined it, Marvin, ‘cause you’re scared, he thought as his whiskers twitched.

He stood and listened. Once again, he heard someone call his name. There was no mistake this time. It might even have been more than one voice. He couldn’t be sure. Hooray. My friends and family must be looking for me. They’ll rescue me. No wait, Marvin, if they find you, how will they get you out?

Dejected again, he sat back down and stared at the dirt floor. He tried his best not to cry.

Up above the group continued walking and calling Marvin’s name. This time the group bunched closer together.

Hearing them clearer this time, Marvin stood, looked up and hollered as loud as he could, “Hey. It’s me, Marvin. I’m down here in a deep hole by the tree.”

Marcia and the group stopped to listen.

Melvin said, “I think I heard him. Marcia, call out again. Tell him we heard him and to keep calling so we can locate him.”

“Good idea, Melvin.” Marcia began yelling again. “Marvin, we heard you. Keep calling out so we can find you.”

Hearing Marcia, Marvin looked up and began yelling, “I’m here. I’m here, I’m here,” repeatedly until his squeaky little voice was about to give out.

The group followed the sound of Marvin’s voice.

Marcia yelled, “STOP everyone. There’s a deep hole here. Marvin must have fallen in. Be careful. Let’s look over the edge and see if he’s down there.”

As Marvin looked up, he saw his sister Marcia’s face peeking over the edge, then Melvin’s face followed by the rest of the group. Everyone was peering down at Marvin.

He was so happy. He jumped up and down.

Marcia hollered down to him, “Marvin, are you all right?”

“Yes, I’m okay. But how are you going to get me out of here?”

“Don’t you worry, Marvin, we’ll find a way. Thank goodness, it’s still daylight. We’ll think of something.”

Then Marvin heard several of his friends, “Somehow, we’ll find a way to get you out, Marvin. Hang in there, buddy, Don’t you worry.”

Marcia and the group gathered a foot away from the top of the hole.

“Okay everybody, does anyone have any ideas how we can get Marvin out?” Marcia asked.

Deep in thought, no one said a word. Then Michael, a friend of Marvin’s, turned to Marcia, stood and raised his right front foot.

“Marcia, I think I have an idea. I remember seeing some rope all curled up near the barn door. Why don’t some of us go back and get it? It would take more than one of us to carry it. If we can bring it here, we could tie one end around the tree and drop the other end down into the hole. Marvin can crawl up the rope to the top. That would work, wouldn’t it?”

Smiling, Marcia responded, “Yes. It would. Thanks, Michael. Why don’t you and several others go back to the barn and get the rope?”

Proud of himself, Michael grinned. “We’re on our way, Marcia.”

Michael turned, picked four out of the group, and they headed for the barn. When at last they arrived at the barn, Michael looked around.

Mitch said, “Okay. Where is the rope, Michael?”

As he looked around, Michael replied, “Give me a minute. I’m sure it was on the left by the barn door. I hope Farmer Jack didn’t move it.”

“Right place, wrong side, Michael. Here it is on the right. If each one of us lifts one part of it, we should be able to carry it back to the hole.” Mitch exclaimed.

They all gathered around the pile of wound up rope and attempted to lift it. “Oh man, this is heavy. I don’t think we’re going to be able to carry this to the hole.” Mitch offered.

“Wait here. I’m going back to the hole to get more help.” Michael said as he scampered off to where the others waited. Soon four more arrived to help. They stood around the pile of rope. When Michael gave the command to go, they did their best to lift the rope.

Huffing and puffing, “It’s no use,” Mitch said. “It’s too heavy.” He sat down with his head resting on his two front feet. Then he looked at Michael. “What do we do now?”

“Hey, I have another idea,” Michael said. “Why don’t we take the loose end of the rope and drag it across the field? The rope will unwind as we pull it. We can keep dragging it until the end of the rope is by the tree. Then we can tie it around the tree. All of us together should be able to do it. What do you say?”

Mitch stood and turned to Michael. “I think that would work. It will take some time to drag the rope across the field, but I think we can do it. No. I know we can. Thanks again, Michael.”

Michael grabbed the free end and headed toward the tree. Staying six inches apart, each one of the other mice grabbed onto the rope and pulled it along behind Michael.

As they progressed across the field, the rope unwound as they went. Marcia and the rest of the group stood watching. When they saw what Michael and the others were trying to do, the rest joined and helped pull the rope.

Marcia stayed behind. She called down to Marvin to encourage him and let him know what they planned to do.

After what seemed like forever, the group reached the tree. All of the rope lay on the ground around the top of the hole. With Michael leading, Mitch and several others looped it around the tree and tied off one end of the rope. They were ready to drop the rest of it down into the hole.

Holding the other end, Michael called out to Marcia, “Marcia, we’re all set to lower the rest of the rope down into the hole. Let Marvin know so he can move out of the way.”

Marcia called down to Marvin, “Marvin, Michael is going to drop one end of the rope down the hole. Be sure to stand aside, so you don’t get hit by the end.”

Marvin looked up and smiled, “I understand, Marcia, thanks.” He flattened his furry body against the side wall out of the way of the falling rope.

Holding the free end, Michael began to lower it. The rope fell as they all helped feed it down into the hole. Soon it stopped. The entire length of the line was now hanging in the hole.

Marvin called up to Marcia, “Is that all there is? The rope isn’t long enough. It’s too far above the bottom. I’ll never be able to reach it.” He sat down hard with his head down.

Marcia called down to him, “Marvin, don’t give up. You can make it if you try. Is there no way you can climb up to the bottom of the rope? Look around. How about digging holes in the sidewall to put your feet in and climb up to it?”

“Okay. I’ll give it a try.” Trying his best to be brave, Marvin sniffled as he responded.

Marcia turned to the group, “He sounds like he’s discouraged. We need to encourage him.”

“Times creepin’ by, Marvin. It’s gonna be dark soon. You gotta try.” Melvin called down to Marvin.

The group gathered close to the edge. “Marvin, we know you can make it if you try. You’re our hero.”

Hearing their encouragement, Marvin smiled. He drew himself up as tall as he could, reached up, and began clawing at the side of the hole. As he kept digging, several roots from the tree appeared and stuck out into the hole. Marvin climbed up on one of them and began digging again, revealing more root limbs. He continued until, almost out of breath and strength, he reached the end of the rope.

Up at the top edge of the hole, Marcia peered down and watched Marvin as he progressed. She passed along his progress to the group who were waiting anxiously behind her.

“Keep going, Marvin. You can make it.” Marcia called to him.

Marvin paused, drew in a deep breath, jumped, and grabbed the end of the rope with his four feet. He held on tight as it began to swing back and forth. His heart pounded, and his tiny body shook.

As Marcia passed along the news to everyone, a cheer rose from the field.

Once the rope stopped swinging, Marvin scrambled up until he reached the top of the hole and freedom. Melvin and Marcia reached out and helped him onto solid ground.

As Marvin hugged his sister and brother, another cheer went up from the group. “You did it, Marvin, you made it.”

“You guys are the greatest,” Marvin responded, grinning from whisker-to-whisker.

Smiling, Mitch said, “Well I don’t know about you, but I’m starving. There is a picnic of grain and Farmer Jack’s leftovers waiting for us back at the barn. I even scrounged up some leftover cake for the celebration. Let’s go.”

“Yea” the group cheered as they all scampered back to the barn.

“#”

The next morning as Farmer Jack walked across his field toward the cornfields, he noticed a rope tied around a tree. The rest of it hung down into a large hole.

“Hmmm,” he exclaimed aloud. “I wonder how that got there. I must remember to come back and fill in that hole. Someone might fall in.”

“END”


August 31, 2019 01:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.