2 comments

Contemporary

"There you are," muttered Rick as he found his old toy hippopotamus that he received from his parents at his fourth birthday. Mr. Pounds was Rick Moore's childhood favorite toy that had seen him through countless adventures, joyful moments and heartbreak. Now that Rick was married with a son who was turning four, he decided to pass Mr. Pounds the hippo onto his son.

"You will have new adventures with Junior. He will love you as much as I do. He loves hippos," Rick said to his old friend as he went to his bedroom to wrap up the toy. Rick was anticipating the look of pure delight on his son's face. A few minutes later, Rick had the wrapping paper, tape, and scissors ready to go. As he started to wrap the toy, Rick heard his wife and son pull up in their dodge van. Thinking quickly, Rick picked up his phone and sent his wife, Sue, a quick text. "I'm wrapping up my gift to Junior in our bedroom. Will be done shortly." A moment later, Rick saw that Sue had responded with "Gotcha. We will be down in the living room when you are done."

Rick smiled, and continued to wrap up the toy. Five minutes later, Rick stood smiling, because he was looking forward to his son's birthday party the next day. He picked up the gift and put it on the top shelf of his closet for overnight. A moment later, Rick left the bedroom and went down to the living room. The moment Junior saw Rick, his face lit up. Junior stood up and walked over with his arms stretched over his head. "Daddy up please," Junior said. Bending over, Rick picked up his son and asked, "How was your day, Buddy?"

"Good, Daddy. Guess what! I four tomorrow," replied Junior.

"Really? You are four tomorrow? What do you want for your birthday?" Rick asked.

Junior said, "Crayons, hippo, and chocolate cake."

Rick smiled because he was glad he was giving his son one toy he wanted.

Throughout that evening, Rick and Sue got started on putting up the decorations for the party. They had a couple of people confirmed for coming over mostly some family that was in the area. A couple of cousins, both sets of grandparents, and his aunts and uncles that lived nearby.

Once the decorations were done, both parents were ready to put Junior to bed. They had a couple of last minute things to get done and needed Junior asleep.

Sue went and tucked him in while Rick went to the grocery store to get the ice cream and the chocolate cake.

Once he got back, Rick put the ice cream and cake up so they were set up for the party.

"The next thing to do is to mix up the juice, pour chips into the bowl, and order a pizza for everyone," Sue said. "Thanks honey, for going out to get the cake and ice cream."

"Anything for our son. I'm just glad it wasn't difficult to go get. I'm excited about tomorrow," Rick responded as he yawned. "But for now, I will go to bed."

"That is a good idea. I will be going that way myself. Working at a daycare is tiring."

The next morning around ten, visitors started arriving for the party. Uncle Chris, Aunt Joan, and their twins Aiden and Jeremy, Grandparents from both sides came in. Ron and Stephanie arrived. Through all the commotion and multiple conversations, it was near impossible to keep track of everything going on. At ten thirty, Sue announced "Time for Presents!" The whole family went quiet as Junior started opening his presents. He received a couple of coloring books, a complete art set, several stuffed animals. Rick waited until the other presents were opened before he brought out Mr. Pounds.

"Junior," Rick said. "I have a special gift for you. I received this when I was your age, now I think it's time you had it." With that said, Rick passed his gift to Junior who tore it open enthusiastically. Once he saw it, Junior exclaimed, "I waited my whole life for this! Thank you Daddy." Everyone was happy and smiling at this.

Rick said, "His name is Mr. Pounds. He had a lot of adventures with me, now it's time he went to you. Have fun with him." Everyone was enjoying the heartfelt moment of the hippopotamus being passed down to the next generation.

Suddenly, Sue said, "Time for cake and ice cream!" After a chorus of Happy Birthday, everyone was served cake and ice cream. By the end of the day, everyone was tired. Junior was still carrying Mr. Pounds around and took him to bed.

"Everyone had a good time today," Sue said. "You surprised everyone by passing Mr. Pounds down to Junior today. I heard your parents say something about being glad you did. They didn't know that he survived all these years."

"It was something that I had wanted to do since we first got married. I planned on passing him down to our first child when they turned four. I'm just glad that Junior likes hippos. I imagine that my parents probably thought he wore out or lost over all the years I've had him."

"That's sweet and special. I had no idea you were passing down one of your treasures you had growing up."

"It was time to give my son one of my treasures from my childhood. You and Junior are my other treasures."

Sue said, "That's sweet. I do want to say that I am constantly amazed by how loving you are. I'm glad that I married you six years ago."

Rick replied, "Same. You have been an incredible mother to our son. I strive to be the father he deserves."

"You are already there. You have shown the two of us that you are doing everything you can to help us prepare for a decent life."

"Thanks dear. I must say that sometimes, I feel like I just come up short. I am glad that you feel like I am doing well as your husband and father to our son."

"I wouldn't trade anything for the world. But for now let's get some sleep. I found my old easel from high school and plan to pass it on to Junior in a couple more years."

"That sounds good. Good night dear," Rick said.

September 30, 2020 03:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:06 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark D
05:07 Oct 08, 2020

Cute story Charles. Very sweet and endearing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.