17 comments

Drama

They say we still have heavenly skills for a while after we are born; unfortunately, they don’t last long.

This is called “the tragedy of growing up”: as we get old, we lose our heavenly abilities since we tie up ourselves in this world and its physical life.

Nevertheless, God’s deeds surround us, it is all up to us if we see His deeds as blessings or as curses…

My parents used to consider themselves “modern” citizens. Among many other modern ways of thinking, God was an old fashion creature who was required to be extinct (humans love to murder, it’s in our nature, at least, we’ve made it and accepted it as our nature, to kill other humans or to let them die -which is the same as killing, indifference is a killer too-, to kill other species, to kill ideas or even to kill things -hard to believe!). Consequently, I was not raised as a religious or spiritual person, and it was OK not knowing the truth (or pretending not to know); a truth that has been said for ages.

I didn’t know about it before I died. I used to be as normal as you or, as far as it matters, like any other person, because I chose to be and to believe that.

Please, allow me to explain myself, so you can understand my point.

This morning, I woke up a bit late because of my fault: I forgot to charge my cellphone last night, as a result, there was no alarm sound to wake me up this early morning; however, my biological clock alarm did the task. It was just a bit late, but humans who live in large cities always exaggerate everything that happens to us. Thus, I rushed my whole getting-ready routine; and, somehow, I succeeded! I got into my car, ready to go to work; as a matter of fact, I was feeling all right! I turned the radio on, and everything was all set to start the day!

However, my mind kept me in a state of alert. By precipitating things, I made my brain collapsed (a stroke) causing, after a while (after the touch of a sincerely interested hand holding mine and after some sweet redemption words), my heart to stop; to give up on life. As you already guessed, I perished in front of my car’s steering wheel some minutes ago.

And THAT was the beginning… to understand how life and Heaven work.

From my last heartbeat on, everything was in slow motion. This effect comes because our spirits move faster than our bodies, way faster! All our senses become one, much neater and sharper. With my death, I was able to really sense the world’s dimensions, around us. I’ve felt alive!

The first thing I saw, after I died, was a beautiful baby’s face, she was able to see me and to see all of them doing their work. I am sure of that because I’ve noticed the baby smiles at each of them every time they approach her, wave at her, or pass by the baby stroller. I can also tell because her four-year-old blonde brother sees them too (I can see his eyes following their movements) while sucking his thumb. Both of them still keep their heavenly skills.

During my last minutes of life, I was able to kind of stopping my car. But it still moved for some meters, slowly; fortunately, Michael pushed an old lady hard enough for her to finish crossing the street safely. She turned to thank her rescuer, but nobody was behind her. She could have sworn somebody just pushed her to save her life!

At the end, unfortunately, my car pressed a man’s left leg against the rear bumper of the car in front even though Gabriel made his right leg stumble, for him not to be in my car’s way. At least, Gabriel tried hard, he was genuinely trying to save many others. This man could have lost both legs!

As my car was in the middle of the street, all of a sudden, the driver behind me couldn’t slam on the brakes and crashed against mine causing the car behind it to jump over both cars, hers and mine. Chaos broke out. The flying car’s direction was diverted by the hand of Raphael avoiding a tragic end: the death of a group of girl scouts who were selling cookies. It landed next to them, at an old lady’s feet. The old lady had a breakdown and collapsed, she fainted. Uriel arrived immediately to console her. Uriel held her hand and blew his breath on her face. She smiled.

When a physician, who was at the accident scene, came to check on the flying car’s driver, Jegudiel was already there to take the driver to his eternal home.

There are always some dark people who take advantage of others’ suffering. This chaos wasn’t an exception. There was a dishonest man who wanted to get some benefit from it, he was about to break into a store to steal whatever he could (the store staff came out to see what was going on); nonetheless, Selaphiel sensed his bad intentions and put his right hand on the man’s chest, whispered something in his left ear and the man changed his mind. As a result, the man started helping others.

I was touched when I also witnessed the noble Barachiel playing with two little cousins because their moms, who were sisters, were crying as a consequence of all this commotion. No detail was worthless; every work was charity and an act of love for your neighbor, and any act of love is always sublime and a society’s ideal. Unfortunately, many humans have forgotten how to cultivate virtues.

Everything went back to normal after a while and the last thing I was able to notice was Jerahmeel’s work: he helped the wounded to feel better and never left their side (he even got in the ambulance).

And you may wonder what my end was like…

Well, during my last moment as a living creature, the driver of the car in front of mine, got out of his car. First, he helped the man I ruined his leg by putting him on the sidewalk. Then he immediately tried to rescue my dying body. When he realized so (because he saw my death coming), he held my hand and asked me if I was a believer. I didn’t even understand what he was talking about. So, when I asked him what he meant, he told me about a superior love waiting for me if I just believed in that omnipotent love called God, who will cleanse all of my sins. And so I did. The man explained I was about to experience this love and its beauty in Heaven.

Finally, my heart stopped beating and I passed away. I believe I was accepted as one of His children because I am being covered by a peaceful light. I am sure there is something wonderful waiting for me in the afterlife, to me, a new beginning.

July 02, 2021 19:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Ramona Taylor
20:39 Jul 16, 2021

Enjoyed this hopeful story. Just one thing I’d like to call to your attention: instead of “the man I ruined his leg…” the man whose leg I ruined .., seems clearer. Also, “my mind kept kept me in a state of alert”, could be state of alertness, or simply my mind was alert. Or perhaps you meant a state of anxiety ?(as alertness doesn’t seem likely to cause a stroke) Overall a good story.

Reply

21:11 Jul 17, 2021

Hi Ramona! THANK YOU so much for your feedback, I'll make the required changes in my story right away, excellent help (well, at least, in my original document, not here since Reedsy doesn't allow authors to edit their stories once the week is over). I'm glad you liked it. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:12 Jul 17, 2021

Hi Ramona! THANK YOU so much for your feedback, I'll make the required changes in my story right away, excellent help. I'm glad you liked it. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Giovanni Profeta
18:04 Jul 15, 2021

Interesting story, well played Henry.

Reply

15:45 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you, Giovanni Profeta, I'll keep trying. Take care.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ola Hotchpotch
01:26 Jul 15, 2021

It was clever of you to use names of mythical angels instead of human names in your story because we hardly ever see anybody helping the different . But I have also read that angels cause harm because they have super ego and are very arrogant.

Reply

15:28 Jul 16, 2021

Hi Ola! Thanks for your nice comment and feedback. I guess everything has its good side and bad side, you're right. I guess we need hope rather than harm. Now, you have a prompt to write about. Take care. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alizah Muhammad
23:01 Jul 14, 2021

Great story, beautiful ending.

Reply

15:24 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you, Alizah. So kind of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J Brooks
19:28 Jul 14, 2021

I love this!!!

Reply

19:45 Jul 14, 2021

Hi J Brooks! Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
03:00 Jul 11, 2021

Great story!

Reply

18:59 Jul 11, 2021

Thank you Charlie Murphy, very kind of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Babika Goel
03:14 Jul 04, 2021

Nice work on the last moments.

Reply

17:32 Jul 05, 2021

Thanks for your nice comment. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
07:40 Jul 03, 2021

If piece, I must confess. Some of the Angels name you mentioned i am hearing for the first time. It is find work. I has this work on religion over here: medium, check them out.

Reply

17:41 Jul 03, 2021

OK, the names do exist, you can google it. Thanks anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.