MDCXCIX and counting

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Historical Fiction

Joachim halts at the edge of the gangway. This is the moment of final decision. He has already officially committed to several years of service as a mercenary soldier for the VOC (United Dutch East Indian Company), which will take him away from Europe for a long period, if not for the rest of his life. However, if he backs down now, he may be able to get the contract cancelled or even flee back to Germany.

Such a retreat is not an attractive option. Although circumstances had much improved since the end of the Thirty and Eighty Year Wars, some 50 years ago, and most citizens of his hometown had prospered since then, life had taken a terrible turn for the worst for others. Earlier this year, driven by who knows what motives and intrigues, the City Council of Lübeck had decided to expel all Jews. His father had been spared, having no Jewish blood himself, but because of a Jewish mother-in-law, his son was deemed too contaminated to stay.

“…but I am only 25% Jewish and three-quarters pure German,” he argued with officials, “and my grandmother even converted to Christianity when she married Opa.”

His grandfather, who had regularly traded with business people in nearby Moisling, had met and fell in love with the daughter of Lithuanian Jews, who had fled the Cossack pogroms in 1656 and were allowed to settle in Moisling, though not in Lübeck itself. Although there had been some malicious gossip (and later, cruel mockery aimed at their daughter, Joachim’s mother, as she grew up in Lübeck), Joachim senior was permitted to bring his bride to town. By the time Joachim junior was born in 1680, people seemed to have forgotten the Jewish connection.

His grandmother’s discussion with him, about her family (whom he had secretly visited in Moisling) and her former faith, had always been discreet. It was anybody’s guess who has recently rekindled up this old bigotry. Yet, there has never been a shortage of people harbouring fresh jealousies and old resentments, strategies against rivals in love or business, deep-seated prejudices and racial hatred. 

The fact is that, in this year, 1699 anno Domini, there are people who did not wish the young cobbler to stay, whether because he was successful in his trade and thus threatened others’ progress, or due to his easy and open relationship with his grandmother’s despised people, or whatever other motivation.

His first instinct was to put as much distance between himself and the city who has rejected and ejected him unfairly. For this reason, a journey ‘to the other side of the world’ engaged his interest. Spurning German trading companies, he made his way to Amsterdam where the VOC, one of the first and most successful companies ever, had their headquarters. His intention was to enlist as an artisan (“They surely needed competent shoemakers in the many outposts in Africa and the Far East”, he reasoned).

The only openings, however, were for company soldiers. Supported by the Dutch Government, the VOC was in many ways an empire in its own right, with its own military forces, as well as the government’s tacit blessing on some international ‘piracy’ (as long as it was aimed at enemies of the Netherlands). As for the capture and colonisation of patches of other continents, they believed them divinely sanctioned. Did not the company bring comprehensive enlightenment to those lesser nations? If the conquered did not see it that way, and many did not, time and experience will eventually open their eyes to the truth.

If not wholly in accord with the VOC’s dogma and policies, Joachim nevertheless joined up as a company soldier, it being the most efficient and affordable way to cross the ocean to a brand new life with endless opportunities. Now, on the brink of the onset of his life-changing journey, he hesitates.

His thoughts go back to Lübeck, near where he was born in the village of Lenzen, and has spent all of his life until now. He calls up an image of comely Anna, who has given him every indication that she loved him too (and may be willing to marry him). Everything changed with the proclamation of the edict and his shock and disappointment when she sided with her father, not only in approving the expulsion of Jews in general, but also in declaring him unfit as future husband. If she had an ounce of loyalty, they could have married and start a new life in a more tolerant town nearby. He was not a practising Jew after all. Her rejection, on the heels of the city’s purge, leaves a bitter aftertaste.

It is the memory of his father’s tears and those of his sisters that make him hesitate. Having married good (and racially pure) German men, they somehow, unfairly but fortunately for them, escaped the brunt of the edict. The realisation that he would never see them or his nieces and nephews again, pull at his heart. He could return to Germany, but to what fate? His business has been seized and his name tainted. His future in his fatherland looked bleak.

As he put his right foot on the gangway, he halts again, his thoughts now drifting away from these bitter histories to an anticipated future. At this point, he is not certain where he will eventually settle: Batavia in Java, Indonesia, Hollandia Nova (Western Australia) or even in Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa. The company may deploy him at any of their various garrisons abroad, or bring him back to Europe. He may of course take matters into his own hands and dessert his post in the colony of his choice. If caught, punishment will be severe. He will just have to wait and see.

Sending up a prayer to the God of his forebears, Joachim raises his left foot too and step unto the plank, cross over and jump lightly upon the deck of Liefde (Love), a huge, brand new ship of the VOC, hoping it will live up to its name. Leap of faith, part one, is done.

Three months and a week later, after a safe and relative speedy journey down the West Coast of Africa, Liefde enters the harbour at the Cape. Staring at the magnificent mountain, known as Tafelberg (Table Mountain) Joachim falls in love with the place. He does not know what charms the other destinations may offer, but one can do worse than this.

As it happens, the decision is being made for him. The garrison had lost four men – one killed by a lion, another presumably by Hottentots, while two died of fever. He is one of four from the 166 soldiers on board, assigned to stay behind. Whether his superiors have done this out of dislike for him as German foreigner, as a secret favour and reward for good conduct or per chance he will never know, but the step earns his approval.

He finds the life at the Cape quite pleasant, in general. Of course, there is the infamous South-Easter wind, which can blow a man off his feet, winter rainfall that provides some cold and miserable days, balanced by many beautiful sunny days to cherish. With friends, he climbs to the top of the surrounding hills, even once to the very top of Table Mountain. He joins hunting parties and is amazed by the variety of unique plants and animals of Africa.

As young as the colony is, it already has a cosmopolitan population typical of such trading posts. Although most of the inhabitants are Dutch, there are the odd Germans, French Huguenots (fleeing on account of their Protestant convictions) and even English visitors and immigrants – and Jews, to whom he feel drawn, even if only out of sentiment. Malay slaves have been imported in their hundreds from the East.

Despised by many of the Europeans, the indigenous Khoikhoi (or Hottentots) fascinates young Joachim. Perhaps inspired by his knowledge of the Jews’ painful history or his own banishment, his heart goes out to a people, who had lived here for who knows many centuries in relative peace, suddenly faced with invasive forces with foreign habits and powerful weapons. He is intrigued by their simple way of life, treading ever so lightly on earth and living in harmony with nature. The contrast with the make-and-break approach of the Europeans could not be illustrated any clearer.

In time, he has fulfilled his obligation to the company and becomes a ‘vrijburgher’ (free citizen). He opens a cobbler’s shop, which happens to be in high demand as shipments from Europe take months to arrive (if at all). Cow leather could be acquired from the butchers, but there are skins of numerous wild antelope, even rhinoceroses and crocodiles, that he can lay his hands on – and which can be turned into very durable and practical footwear. Why, he has made a decent pair of boots for WA van der Stel, the governor, from the skin of a hippopotamus his Excellency has shot himself. Things are looking up.

For the second time in his young life, Joachim falters, this time on the steps of the local church. Soon his young bride, Elsje, will arrive on the arm of her mother. Fourth of eight sisters - with only one brother (aged 8) - Elsje is only seventeen! Her father, who had died the previous year, started out as a big game hunter, with a contract to supply meat for The Company. In time, he settled down and became a farmer. Now his widow, only 37 herself and with nine children between ages 3 and 22, can only cope with family and farm if she either marries again herself or marry of her daughters, of whom four (five at a pinch) qualify. Thus will Joachim, following closely on the footsteps of three other young men, be drawn into the busy family and the family’s business.

No wonder, our young bachelor hesitates. To tumble from his free and single state into a family of 14 members - and Dutch ones too! They will expect him to provide, not only his labour for the common cause, but also a batch of heirs himself.

“Too much, too soon?” he wonders.

Then there was the dream as well… As if looking down a lengthy corridor, Joachim saw a drama unfold with many players: Khoikhoi, Asian slaves, Europeans and later black Africans. He saw them battle each other: black on black, white on white (red jackets and farmers’ cloths) and black on white – rivers of blood. He observed a changing world with roads and sky-high buildings, masses of people and many things he could not recognise… and through it all, he saw himself and Elsje – or their sons and daughters? – navigate their way through time and space… towards an unknown future.

In his dream, quite near the end, a white-haired and bearded old man looked up at him and winked, holding up one thumb, and smiled, conveying without speaking: “Relax, all in all, things will work out!”

Glancing around, the street, the distant vision of the sea, the mountain – last avenues for escape, he sighs. Then Joachim lifts his foot, clad in soft elephant skin, treads on the sill, enters the church and… walks the plank.

April 16, 2021 17:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.