0 comments

Mystery

It was Niagara Falls 2010. It's a small town everyone knows everyone.

People are really polite almost all the time.

Every morning I go down to the coffee shop at the corner to do my work.

I always saw the same people. We became friends. Then on weekends I would stay home with my dog. I just went out to shop and walks.

I liked staying home. Getting everything organized from the past week.

I live in a one bedroom apartment. Well condominium building. It's pretty quiet most of the time, you can here the neighbors taking out garbage.

I've lived here for about a year now. I don't go everywhere here I stay away from the casinos. So do most of us that live here.

I sit and type at the coffee shop for two hours each day. I'm writing an biography I'm a ghost writer.

I get different projects.

A month ago I put an ad, in a local website to look for a roommate. It's too quite around here most of the time. I got a few responses then one day I got this man. I had so many people inquire I didn't care anymore. We have a set of rules and were both sucking to it. It helps with the rent in case I don't get paid on time.

That way I don't have to get stressed out. It's nice to have company aswell other than my dog. Luckily he works weekends works out great.

About a year went by. Every thing was working out just fine. It wasn't anything with the roommate. Strange things started to happen. I would go to the coffee shop and my drink would be paid for. I would go home and there would be a broken cup. It's wired. I had a boyfriend years ago. I wonder what's going on.

I guess you can say I have a haunted pass. He tries to find me every now and then. That's why I'm here in Niagara Falls. I can basically write anywhere. At one point I had a restraining order. Every thing seems okay for a long time. I'm probably just over thinking. I hope .

I heard something dropped I jumped. My roommate was out of town tell Sunday night. Noone else is coming by.

I sat down and tried to forget everything. Oh my there's a car out side. I've never seen here before. How wired I was thinking.

I phoned my roommate to say I think I'm going out of town aswell. I'll be back Tuesday.

I booked a hotel in Toronto for tell Tuesday. I'm alittle scare that someone is following me again. I have a couple old friends from school. I wouldn't mind meeting.

I gave them a call they were both free.

Thank goodness. I keep checking my back. Looks like that car didn't follow me here. I probably was just being paranoid.

I checked into the hotel and everything seemed okay. Still checking my back every five minutes.

Meet my friends the next day. We went to the spa and had dinner. I decided to go back home. Once I was clam.

That was a fun weekend. Just in time for my roommate, Donnald to come back aswell.

"I'm surprised to see you here"

Yeah just stayed the two nights and came back. I was getting stressed out. "

"Is everything ok?"

"Yes of course thank you!"

It happened again another glass broke and that car is still there.

The roommate asked again.

"Are you sure everything is okay?"

Well kind of. It was for a long while.

Now I'm scared really scared."

Wait the door rang.

"Can you look please I'm too scared."

It was just some flowers left near the door.

"Your scared of flowers?" The roommate said.

"No no of course not. I have to be honest and tell you I have a haunted pass. For the longest time everything was okay. Honest about five years now.

Until you went away. I guess I was being followed by my ex boyfriend. He's nuts totally of the wall. I didn't no how to end it so I ghosted him. He wouldn't take no for an answer. I had no choice."

"Oh that sounds horrible."

"For a long while it was. I have a restraining order. I guess after five years I forgot they expire. That's why I left aswell. I noticed that car the minute you pulled away. "

"Thank goodness your back."

"Should I be scared to?"

"No just me he's really off the wall.

Should we call for help no not right now. It's not an emergency yet."

"True."

"Just keep the lights on all night so it's not dark if you don't mind. Do you have a small light for the room?

"Of course I do."

I couldn't sleep all night. I heard the wind. I heard the rain. I heard people coming and going from the building.

Its horrible I can't sleep.

My pass is on my mind. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm scared this guy is crazy.

Okay breath, not working.

Maybe I should call the authorities.

They came in about two hours.

I explained everything I could remember. That was so tiring.

The two officers went behind where the car was. They did alcohol test. He was really drunk. Off to jail again.

They asked if I wanted the information?

Then they remembered they had everything on file.

I can't believe I totally forgot about my past. I must have blocked it out. I really forgot. If they renew the restiraing order I better write it down.

I feel better now going to rest. I'm going to make some hot tea and take a hot shower. Im going to wear my favorite pink pajamas. I'm going to sleep tell the morning. I no I'm safe now.

To be honest I thought he forgot about me aswell. I guess I was mistaken.

The end

By Ellen Urowitz

July 23rd 2020

Inspired by prompt haunted pass until the end.

July 23, 2020 23:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.