2 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

  Crisp autumn leaves fluttered down from the dying trees, coming to rest on the damp ground.

Occasionally they stumbled over my blood-red heels or drooped atop the never ending train of my dress. 

 This dress was my favorite of those that I owned; a blend of gold and white fabric, intertwined in a gorgeous display. 

  With each step I ascended, the weight about what was about to be done pressed heavier upon my shoulders. 

*Queen. Queen. Queen.* I thought, drilling the title into my head. *Queen. Queen.*

   My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps crunching through leaves.

 I looked up and saw a Woman figure approaching. 

Her russet brown hair glistened as it fell across her face and shoulders.

 She wore a long, black coat with crimson stripes down its sleeves. In her hand she carried a large, dark wooden box. I knew that this was the box holding the Heart of the Forest. 

  The woman stopped when she reached me, gazing at my face before speaking to me.

 “Your Highness." She said quietly. "Are you ready?"

I nodded, a few strands of hair falling over my eyes.

The woman placed the box on the ground and knelt before me. Before I could begin to wonder why she did so, she pulled out the lid and took hold of the Heart.

With one swift tug, she yanked the Heart from the box. As soon as it left the container, the Heart began to glow. It radiated an intense light, casting shadows around us like we were standing inside a cave.

  My lips parted as I stared at the object, my pupils dilating. “It’s truly gorgeous.” I muttered, unable to take my eyes off it.

The woman nodded absentmindedly, her dark curls bouncing. “It is, though I recommend you don’t stare for too long, your Highness.”

I gave a slight nod.

After a moment, the woman held it in front of her chest and began to recite a spell. Her voice echoed throughout the forest, rising higher and louder with every word.

As the last syllable of the incantation left her mouth, I felt a strange sensation run through my body. It started at my toes, travelling up my legs until it reached my heart. My skin tingled as if someone had poured icy water over me.

Then everything went black.

***

Darkness enveloped the world around me, the only thing visible being the Heart of the Forest hovering above my head. I couldn't see anything else.

The feeling of coldness that I'd experienced moments ago was gone, replaced by a warmth that filled my entire body.

  A gentle breeze brushed against my cheeks as I searched my surroundings. Darkness. 

No. Not darkness.

Something else.

 I realized then that the light wasn't actually illuminating my surroundings, but rather the Heart itself. It emanated a soft blue color, casting a warm glow over the surrounding area.

  There was no sign of the woman who I assumed must have been the Lady of the Forest. Wherever she was now, I didn't know.

I slowly turned in the direction that the wind blew, taking in every detail.

At first I saw nothing, just a vast, empty space. Then the light from the Heart lit up the area and I spotted something. A small lake, its surface frozen as if it were covered in snow.

But there was no way that this place should be devoid of life. This land was home to many creatures; both human and beast alike.

 I stood, walking towards the shoreline.

 When I got close enough, I noticed that the ice was riddled with cracks and fissures, as if it had been broken and repaired countless times. The image reminded me of the Heart.

  I continued to walk, stopping once I reached the edge of the lake. There was a single person sitting on the shore, their back to me. They had long, black hair that flowed to their waist, and a pair of piercing green eyes that gazed out onto the still waters.

 I crouched down, leaning forward slightly to make myself appear smaller, trying to hide behind a tree trunk.

The person glanced my way, turning to look directly at me.

I froze.

 They were beautiful. There was no other way to describe them. Their features were delicate yet striking. Long, lustrous locks of black hair cascaded over their shoulders, framing a pale, porcelain complexion.

  Their eyes were large and bright, like emeralds.

She was wearing a simple dress made of white silk, cinched at the waist by a golden belt. She sat upright, her hands resting in her lap.

 I walked forward slowly, my eyes never leaving the Woman. “Who are you?”

 Silence. 

The silence continued until the Woman spoke softly, her voice almost a whisper. “Come.” 

 I hesitated, part of me longing to return from this darkness. 

It’s too late.

 I approached the Woman and sat beside her, crossing my legs as I stared into her eyes. 

“Look into the water.” 

Her voice had a certain ring to it that had chills running up my spine like hitting cold water. 

 Regardless, I turned my gaze to the still water and sighed, watching as it moved ever so slowly in a peaceful manner. 

“Trust. Keep eyes on water.”

 I fought the urge to glance at the Woman and kept my gaze locked on the water, staring into It’s depths. That’s when it happened. 

The subtle hiss before teeth latched onto my neck, digging into the skin as I groaned and tried to struggle away. 

 Dark hair draped over my arm. No, not mine.

My hair was a light blonde.

  My eyes found another pair, staring back at me with a strange hatred. 

Almost like emeralds. 

The heart!

  I gasped and shoved my foot against the Woman’s chest, scrambling to my feet and running towards the heart which I found hovering in the air with it’s same glow.

 Footsteps, screeching, waves, humming.

Then as my fingertip almost reached the heart, nothing.

The eerie silence returned and I felt nothing.

 I can’t see anything.

Feel anything.

Hear anything. 

May 23, 2023 04:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Graham Kinross
00:30 May 29, 2023

That’s a chilling tale. Great story, Juniper. Keep it up. Maybe you can write about what happens next? Is the MC dead? Seems like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. D. Lair
17:04 May 28, 2023

Such a great first submission! I was left wanting more and looking forward to reading future stories from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.