0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

"I can't believe we are arguing over this!" Quinn said, with her arms crossed with her shoulders slumped as they made their way towards a graveyard after midnight. "You awoke it, even after your sister warned you!" River shouted. She was a little shaken, she had been bitchy but she had never heard him scream. She wonder if it was due to the curse. Is this why her old friends avoided her? Unable to control her attitude. There was a pause in her steps, it was her grandparents house, it was in shambles, window panels wailing, the gutter barely clinging on and the door still creaked opened.

"I remember when this felt like a lifetime ago," Quinn sighed looking at the destruction that had never fully been recovered. "Come on," River said grabbing her hand. Quinn paused in her tracks as she squinted at the house, she felt a smile come across her face. "What's got you looking like that?" River said shaking his head. "Maybe this place was never that bad," she said trying to clasp his hand that he swatted away. "You realized that now," River "You need to focus right now," River said standing next to her. 

River didn't say a word as he lead her away from the house of memories that once haunted her, she had allowed the awful moments to over shattered the ones worth remembering. She could smell her grandma's perfume of honeysuckles filling the air and her grandfather's laughter echoing through the halls as she and her sister ran up and down the stairs.

"How long have you've been a medium?" she asked as she noticed the night sky stars twinkling above them. "Does it matter?" he scuffed. "Guess not, it's a nice night." she smiled. "It's kind of cloudy." he grimaced looking at the clouds forming as they made their way towards a graveyard. "Doesn't mean it can't be nice," she said. "It's kind of just bleh," he said. She was getting irritated, how could he stand her if she was always like this? Was it her sight or was it her perspective they exchanged?

"How am I going to get them back?" she asked noticing her grandma's gravestone covered in honeysuckles. "Did you do that?" she asked kneeling down at the headstone. "Every summer, I leave something to keep them at peace." he sighed. "After we get my sister and her boyfriend who's not her boyfriend back, I need to fix that place up." she said. "You know your sister isn't straight right?" he asked. "Nonsense," she replied. "Is it? When's the last time you were active in her life before now?" he asked, taking a seat on the muddy ground, looking up at her. "Can we talk about this later?" she asked. He rolled his eyes and sighed. "You need to close your eyes, imagine where they are pulled them back." he said. "Not Free.94?" she joked. He didn't cracked a smile, his eyes were cold and his tone defeated. "Fine but this is ridiculous, I'm supposed to just close my eyes and be able to grab my sister and her boyfriend that's not her boyfriend from the past?" Quinn sighed.

"Oh and important you can't see your grandparents," he warned. "Why?" she asked as she took a seat next to him. Was she smiling? Why was she smiling, this was serious. Is this how River coped with every stressful event. "It creates a mess, don't do it." he said. "River, what happened to your fiancé?" she asked, with instant regret watching his face turn red.

"She fucking cheated on me! You're right everyone sucks, there is no good in anyone, so why bother," he snapped. "I don't know, what am I waiting for?" she asked. "In about ten minutes the moon will be in a clear sky and you can go," he said.

******

Eliza ripped the keyboard and smashed the computer in front of them. Riley went quiet as Eliza hovered above them. "Explain how I play on insecurities. We have fatso and a sissy in my sights. Not much to play on." She scoffed. "If there's nothing to play on, why keep this up?" August shouted as she looked at Elizabeth lopsidedly. "Because you both have said something interesting on our first encounter," she answered as she smiled with her red lipstick bright and her slender and petite figure overshadowed them.

"Like what?" Riley asked, clinching August's hand. Eliza rolled her eyes. "You know a lot about my husband's affairs," she said. "You know about them!?" August shouted. Eliza covered her mouth immediately. "It's not something I want to be publicized." She answered. August bit her hand, and Eliza slapped her. "Bitch," Eliza said.

"If you know about it, why let it go on?" Riley said. "You two asked too many questions, nighty, nighty." She answered as she stuffed a facecloth into his nose. August kicked and pinched him, hoping to get movement as she squirmed away from the impossible. "Oh dearie, you can fight or you can accept," Eliza said, pinching August's chubby cheeks. "I'll always fight," August sneered. "Good, I like my victims spunky," Eliza said, laughing.

"Riley, wake up!" August shouted, feeling defeated as deadweight sat on her wrist. "I guess I'll never get to say goodbye to my family...… wait, my grandparents are still alive...… but I'm not born yet.... this is torture, fuck you Eliza." August speculated aloud. "You're not born yet?" Eliza chuckled, with a grin that caused August extreme nauseous. August had believed she had keep her thoughts silent but as Eliza kneeled down and grabbed her face, staring her directly in the eye. She was trying not to squirm, something told her ghost Eliza was more tame than human Eliza.

"What are you going to do to me?" August gulped. "I'm guessing he's not born yet either," she chuckled with her cherry red oval nails digging in to her skin, she could feel a puncture as a slight stream of blood ran down her face. "I don't see how it matters," August spat. "I like your moxie, to bad I'm going to have to crush it." Eliza said, as August tried not shake but her body was compulsing against her will. "Tell me how old are you?" Eliza asked. "None of your business!" she snapped. "A typical young person response, I'm going to guess twenty-two, twenty-three." she said. "25," Riley mumbled. Eliza's face was glowing at that number, as August sat there trying to maintain an eye-contact of no fear. "You're a witch, aren't you?" August guessed. "A medium is going to lecture me, absolutely not." Eliza answered. "A medium?" August questioned. "You're a Simmon, and because you're here means you can't be born, what a pity." Eliza said. "What are you talking about?" August asked.

"See, the longer I keep you here, the harder it'll be for you to return to your time line," she smiled as her nails went further in. "I must say I respect the tenacity of attempting to stare me down," she added, finally releasing her nails, August felt like a nail gun had been drilled down into her cheeks as the tiny bit of blood still ran down her face. "Let him go, at least." August said, twitching her shoulder in his direction. "No," she said. "You want me not him," August pleaded. "I can't separate soul mates, I don't mess around with that." Eliza said as she licked the blood from August's face. That made August finally twitched and jumped in her seat.

"We're not soulmates," August protested. "And my husband isn't screwing the housekeeper and the pool boy," Eliza scuffed.

July 04, 2022 13:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.