0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

It's Raining Chocolate Gold Coins

I awoke early this morning to the sounds of something beating hard against my rooftop. I arose from my bed to see what was going on. I pulled my curtains back from my bedroom window and peered outside. To my dismay, I saw falling from the heavens an abundance of gold coins. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had to rub both my eyes to make sure that I was not dreaming. There were gold coins all over the rooftops, cars, yards and in the streets. People were coming out of their houses screaming and laughing. Many of them looked confused looking around wondering how this could have happened. They began running trying to catch the gold coins as they fell to the ground. A small child sitting inside her stroller, opened up one of the coins that fell into her lap. She pulled back the gold covered foil uncovering a round piece of milk chocolate inside. The quickly popped the whole chocolate coin inside her mouth.

“Yummy,” she said.

I still couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was watching in amazement at the people reactions to this magical event. I put on my coat and slippers and stepped outside. There were coins all over my front porch and inside my potted plants. I picked up one and pulled back the gold covered wrapper. I slowly took a bite and closed my eyes. The sweet taste of milk chocolate melted inside my mouth. There were people taking pictures and even videotaping the magical event with their phones. The sky above was a light color of orange and gray. Thunder roared and lighting flashed in the sky. The chocolate gold coins poured from the heavens harder than before. The winds blew strongly making the trees sway from side to side. It continued to rain chocolate gold coins all that afternoon. Yards covered with gold coins aligned to whole Sunset Valley Ridge Community. My front and back porch was covered in chocolate coins. I went into my closet to get out a large box. I got my broom and dustpan from my kitchen. I opened my front door and began sweeping up the coins putting them into the box. My next-door neighbor Mr. Blanchard stood on his porch scratching his head. He notices me watching him from the porch and waved.

“I have never seen such a thing.” said Mr. Blanchard.

“Me neither,” I said.

I watched as he went back into house. He came back out with a huge five-gallon white bucket and began cleaning off his porch too. It was Friday afternoon, the children in the neighborhood were all running around picking up the coins putting them inside their pockets and bags. Some of them were taking hand full of the coins throwing them into the air. Sunset Valley Ridge was a small, quiet town. The last big news that we had in the town was of Big Roy Peterson getting drunk running naked down the street screaming that he was being chase by a werewolf. People were talking about this for months after it happened. This magical phenomenon will be talked about for years and years. There were local camera crews and police all around the block. Our mayor Steve Warwick even made a special appearance in our small community. He walked around and talked to many of the neighbors about the gold coins. News anchor personnel went around talking to the neighbors about how they felt about seeing the coins raining down from the sky. I sat in a swing on my front porch watching all the commotion taking place. I didn't feel like being on the news, so I went back inside my house. After everyone was gone, the streets were clear of people. All that remained was the trillion piles of gold coins that covered our entire block. I washed the dishes and warmed up some left-over chicken soup from last night supper. I clicked on the TV to channel seventeen news. They were talking about our community and the mysterious gold coins falling from the sky. After watching for a minute, I saw that they had filmed a glance of me sitting on my porch in my swing.

“Got darned,” I said.

I had gone back into the house to keep from getting filmed and they got me on film anyway. After investigating the source of where the chocolate gold coins, they discovered Riesen Chocolate Factory had exploded early that Friday morning. The explosion caused trillion of chocolate covered gold coins to be expelled into the air causing it to rain down all over the small town of Sunset Valley Ridge. There was nothing left of the chocolate factory. The owner of the factory Mr. Randy Riesen went on the news saying that he was sending a cleanup crew to clean up all the chocolate coins. The mystery of why it rained chocolate covered gold coins was revealed. I had a huge box filled with chocolate covered coins that sat in a corner across my kitchen. I began to wonder what I could do with all this chocolate. I couldn't give them away to the neighborhood kids because I'm sure they picked up their own. I decided to keep a few and put them inside an old shoe box that I had in my closet. The rest I would give to the cleanup crew that was schedule to come on Monday. My tabby Precious had awakened from her slumber. She sundered over to where I was sitting on the couch and lay down next to me.

“You missed some excitement my dear,” I said.

Precious was a curious little kitty. I stroked her fur as she lay beside me. I got up from the chair and pushed the box of chocolate coins into a nearby closet. I didn't want her getting into the chocolate and become sick. I took my chicken noodle soup out of the microwave and began eating it. Precious pranced across the room to her milk dish and began taking a sip. The moonlight shined brightly in the night sky. It was quiet in our little community tonight. I'm sure everyone is resting well. The children are filled to the gills with chocolate gold coins and our town got a spot on the evening news. For a moment we all believed that something magical had taken place right in our little community. Even though the real cause was revealed, the reason of what caused the explosion to take place is still a mystery to this day.

February 24, 2024 15:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.