0 comments

General

The knife in my hand felt cold, but not as cold as my blood that ran throughout my whole body. I was shaking, blood stained the carpet beneath me. The kitchen knife I held had wet blood dripping down into the sweaty palm of my hand.

Victoria wasn't quite dead yet, only passed out. But that would change. I would make sure of it. The blood was warm, and the stench made my nose burn. It smelled metallic.

Her limp body put a smile on my face that I couldn't control. I was scared of myself, scared of how much I was loving this. She had knife wounds all over her body, and her body was stained. Her breathing was slow and shallow, so I dug my knife into her chest, pushing deeper and deeper, slicing her open from her torso to her stomach, stopping her breathing completely.

I put her body in a bag, keeping it airtight. I hid the body in the closet as I cleaned up the blood. I washed my hands, checking my watch. '3:40' I read in thought. I dried off my hands and opened the dust filled closet. I grabbed the bag, dragging it over my shoulder. I shoved it in a duffle bag and walked out of the house, keeping my hood up and making sure nobody saw me. I stuffed the bag in the car's backseat and got in, pulling out my phone. I went on Google Maps and searched up "Swamp Falsehorn," the swamp I decided I was going to dump the body.

I drove for 2 hours straight, not stopping for gas until I made it to the town of Falsehorn. It was a half-abandoned town, hardly anyone lived there. Which made it the perfect place to dump a body. It was up in the mountains, and the view was beautiful. But I couldn't let anything distract me. I had to get this job done. My job as an assassin is the most important thing for me, because it paid a lot of money. I needed 12,500$ for my father's cancer surgery and I barely had enough to pay for my apartment and food, no way could I pay for the surgery while working my normal job. I parked in the empty parking lot which was a 1 minute walk to the shore of the lake.

The swamp was empty, presumably because the water was a murky green and the smell made me want to gag. The water was infested with crocodiles and the air was infested with mosquitoes. The weather was searing hot, and my body felt sticky from sweat.

I could understand why nobody really came, because despite the heat of the sun, it was damp and moist. It felt like when you're in the subway during the summertime, sandwiched between two hot, sweaty people. I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I took the body out of the bags and threw them into the water, where a crocodile swam close by.

I saw a few splashes nearby where I had dumped it, and then the water turned red. I smirked, throwing away the plastic bag and the horrible smelling duffle bag. I pulled out my phone again, dialing a number. The phone rang for 4 seconds until it answered. "Hello?" A gruff male voice answered. "Victoria has been taken care of," I said, and heard him laughing on the other line. "I would hope so," He said, and hung up. I sighed, and put my phone away, putting my hand on my forehead, and closing my eyes for a few seconds. I wished the ground would come alive and swallow me whole, I never felt guiltier in my life. If my dad knew this was the way I was getting the money, he would have chosen to die instead, which is why nobody could ever know.

I looked to my right, and saw a boy staring at me, complete and utter fear in his eyes. We locked eyes for half of a second and I knew I had to kill him. I sprinted at him and instead of running he froze up. I grabbed his shirt collar and tugged him towards me, pointing my knife at his throat. Before I could kill him, I heard a car pulling up. I instinctively put the knife back in my pocket, dropping him to the floor. A car door closed and a middle aged man- he looked about 40 with bald hair and wrinkles on his forehead and he had a gray mustache and beard- and walked over to where we were.

"Good day for fishing, eh?" He smiled brightly, holding a fishing rod over his shoulder. I was already making a strategy in my head, on how I would first kill the boy from before with a direct hit to the throat, and then get the man in the chest. She would then feed the bodies to the cro- "Yeah, but make sure to watch out for alligators!" The boy warned. Only then I noticed all his features. He had shining brown hair and amber eyes. He was taller than me, and extremely fit, so if he chose to harm me it wouldn't be hard.

The old man moved to a different part of the swamp, and once he was out of sight I grabbed my knife again. I tilted it in my hands, in case I had to stab him, it would do the most damage to him at the angle it was pointing.

He seemed to notice and chuckled a bit, putting his hands up innocently. "Don't worry, you can trust me," he said, still smiling. I couldn't just lower my guard because he was kinda cute... "Oh, and why is that?" I responded back. Something about him was just super suspicious. He froze up, and scratched the back of his head in thought. "Can-" he hesitated a bit. "Can you keep a secret?" He asked.

August 16, 2020 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.