0 comments

Historical Fiction Romance

Winnie Freiberger descended from hard working German stock who rose to local prominence in the dry goods business after arriving to Texas during the Adelsverein migration of 1845. The spirited student was as headstrong and quick-witted as they come. Yet, she could still charm the dew off a honeysuckle while holding her own during debate competition. It so happens, she won quite frequently while working towards a bachelors degree at Southwestern in Georgetown.


She was a rarity on the debate circles since Texas was still quite a chauvinistic place and she was often ridiculed by her male counterparts. She might never be given the chance had her equally headstrong mother not been active with the Texas Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.


Her mother saw to it that she was given every opportunity to be who she wanted. Her father? They didn't always see eye to eye but let’s just say he didn’t feel coerced to oppose her.


While unheard of, most who knew Winnie speculated based on her achievements and moxie that she might eventually go into law upon graduation. The rumor mill ratcheted up a notch after the passage of the 1919 Sex Disqualification Act paving the path for women in law. It’s something she certainly considered though her mind was still primarily focused on her studies and debating.


Winnie had to keep focused and sharp on her studies if she were to keep up with the incessant overtures by Frank, a young man she found easy on the eyes. But he was her opposite and she was unsure about him.


They met while he bussed tables for Scholz Garten back in Austin. Frank worked for them upon return home from medical discharge during his time serving in the Army during World War I. The corporal lost partial eyesight and a couple of small toes from a mortar blast during the Somme Offensive, but he never lost his optimism and congenial manner. For the most part, he was polite but somewhat reserved and was usually all business when dealing with civilians.


Winnie often frequented Scholz Garten when she and her roommate would go back home to Austin every couple of weekends. Her parents lived just west a few blocks away in the Judge’s Hill neighborhood.


However, her home was so chaotic with her younger siblings running amok that she’d seek the quieter solitude of a corner table tucked away from foot traffic when she needed to study. Her parents didn’t mind her escapes, particularly since her father’s cousin Wilhelm was the day manager there.


“Still got your head buried in books I see,” said Frank as he passed her by with dishes loaded of half eaten sauerkraut and Bockwurst.


She ignored him at first, but he remained persistent. He thought of her often ever since Wilhelm introduced them one afternoon a few weeks back. It was hard to ignore the wavy blonde hair, dark blue eyes and her slightly offset smile accented with ruby red lips.


Smitten, he’d always find a way to route himself towards her general area. “So, what are you studying today?” he asked.


“If you must know,” she answered, “I’m doing research on a term paper I’m working on.” She felt a bit flush because she thought of Fred as a strapping young man with striking chiseled features. She heard of his wartime exploits and found it to be appealing though she wasn’t quite sure why since she was a known pacifist. But she had to reminder herself to avoid flirtations in order to stay focused.


“What’s the topic?” Fred asked.


“Do you really want to know?” Winnie replied with a smirk. “Fine, I’m writing about the social functions of education as it pertains to the perpetual social inequality of women in educational administrations. Want to help me write that thesis?”


“I’m sure I could, but I don’t believe you’d like my take stance,” he said though he was unsure why he said it. He meant to use humility as he often did in most cases. Heck, he didn't know the meaning of half of what she said. Deep down he was intimidated by her intellect though admired it.


“You go on right ahead, table 14 is beckoning my presence.” He grinned and walked away with a slight hint of warming hives prickling his skin just behind his ears.


After a couple of seconds, she turned her head to see if he was still in sight. Alas, he was gone, and she paused for a moment with a satisfying smile before resuming her reading. Fred didn’t come back around prior to her going home.


A couple of weeks passed by and she returned. Like clockwork, she headed back to Scholtz Garten to her usual spot at her usual time soon after the lunch crowd began to disperse.


As hoped, Fred knew she returned. He passed by the front entrance where he could smell the lingering hint of her sweet rose-scented perfume still wafting in the air.


He thought to himself he would use his typical pleasantries to greet her this time to avoid further embarrassment. As he approached the corner, his gaze was fixed on the back of her head when he slipped on some spilled bacon-soaked cabbage that sat on the hard floor. He tried to grab her chair to avoid a full fall but instead grabbed a couple of fingers of her hair tugging it hard.


“Gahh!” she yelled and stood right up, “Fred Jones! What’s wrong with you? Are you so inept you can’t use your toes and feet like most men?” She knew her reaction was harsh although she was rather pleased to see him. “I swear, Fred. I thought you were trying to scalp me.”


“I’m so sorry, Miss Winnie!” explained Fred, “I was actually trying to tie your hair into pigtails because it just seemed like it needed it.”


What did he just say? He was beside himself. What was it about her that made him react so differently? During the war, interactions were all business. It was “Yes sir!” this and “Yes sir” that. Extra commentary would result in harsh punishment.


But all discipline and decorum seemed to go out the door when it came to her.


“I never!” she said. “Why, I should have you fired if I didn’t… well, umm…” Winnie lost her train of thought as she could see how embarrassed he was with his flush face and downtrodden eyes. She thought it was endearing despite the commentary.


“Be more careful! I may have to remember this moment after I become a lawyer and sue you for attempted manslaughter!”


“Manslaughter? But you’re a woman,” said Fred. “Wouldn’t it be more like beautiful ladyslaughter?” He couldn’t believe he just said “beautiful.”


He decided it was time he mustered up the courage to ask her on a date. This was his big chance. “Listen, I’m truly sorry. But when I see you, I… well, uh... you see, you bring out the worst in me. Why do you do that? I don’t get it! I guess you’re too good and uppity to understand accidents. Why, if I didn’t know better, I’d…” He stopped himself from proceeding further.


Winnie froze in horror since she was not expecting that response. She stomped off to find her cousin Wilhelm and finally located him in the kitchen.


She was so upset she started shouting and Fred could hear her from her table. He heard his name during the ruckus and decided to head into the kitchen himself. While walking, he was quickly formulating his next words so he could save face and smooth things over with Wilhelm.


“Look, I’m tired of this. I don’t need it. Wilhelm, either she goes, or I go. This isn’t right! Who do you believe? Your hard-working loyal employee or spoiled brat cousin?” said Fred. “Do you really think I’d attack her?”


Both Wilhelm and Winnie looked at him in disbelief. Wilhelm frowned and didn’t need to say anything. Fred saw it in his eyes and said, “Fine, I’m out of here. Just give me my check and be done with me.”


Winnie left back to her table with head down and tears streaming from her face. She thought to herself, “I got him fired. A handsome veteran who I should be thanking. He just lost his job over flirting with me. Why can’t I say what I mean?”


She sat at her table and glanced back towards the kitchen and heard nothing. A minute or so later, Fred slowly walked out the door with check in hand and headed out the front door.


He was no longer mad but walked slowly away with a sheepish look. He didn’t dare glance at her.


She felt awful.


A few seconds after he walked out the front entrance, she mustered up courage. She was going to go up to him and apologize. She stood up and quickly made her way out the door.


“Fred Jones! Stop right there. I have something to say,” she said loudly. Fred stopped and stood still. She went up to him standing just a foot in front of him. He took a deep breath to calm himself from the verbal thrashing he anticipated.


“How is this going to work if you can’t handle a little grit from a small spunky gal like me? Are you going to do this every time our children are whining and I’m too busy to handle it when I’m away trying a legal case in the capitol? Because I tell you, I’ll not have it! I’ll not! I’ll beat you with the flat of my hand until you whimper like an ol’ hound dog that just got stuck by a porcupine. Do you understand me?”


She then stopped admonishing him and stood there with widened eyes and a terrified gaze. She couldn’t believe the words that poured out of her mouth.


Fred looked up in disbelief looking into her eyes. The whole world went blank as did his mind.


He kissed her.


He couldn’t believe he just did that; it was the first time he kissed a woman before.


She didn’t pull back. She embraced it. It only lasted a second but felt like an eternity. She put her arms around his shoulders and kissed him right back.


“I didn’t mean any of what I said, Winnie. I get so flustered around you because I can’t get over how beautiful and smart you are. I never met a woman like you. One minute I’m a quiet man going about his business and the next, all I can think about is what I want to say but it all comes out like, well, I don’t know."


He paused momentarily looking up towards the sky and then continued, "I just keep reminding myself of Ephesians 4:29. Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. But I guess the devil got holt of me for all the things I done and saw during the war. I, I just couldn’t stop myself no matter how much I try. I'm so sorry.”


Her surprised expression quickly turned to a smile. As a good Methodist, she was impressed at his Biblical knowledge and knew in her heart he was a fine man. She grabbed his hand and started walking assertively pulling him along as if she were walking a dog.


“Walk me home Fred. No gentleman lets a lady walk home alone. Didn’t you learn any manners? Now, just don’t let daddy see you holding my hand when we get near or you’ll truly experience the devil first-hand. And don’t worry about Wilhelm. I’ll have a talk with him tonight. Mama invited their family over for dinner.”


She continued dominating the talk all the way home and he just listened and smiled the entire way as he knew in his heart, he won the battle he was meant to win.

January 12, 2021 15:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.