1 comment

Christmas Holiday

Mrs. Pelton, the 4th grade teacher, said: “It is 10 days before Christmas. This is your last week of school. We will be working on small projects and one of our projects will be talking about someone you miss and haven't seen for some time. Each of you will write a short story about that person.”

Billy had to think about that. He said, “I know!  I'll write about Santa Claus: my Uncle Bob.” He started writing his story:

This story is about my Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob is my mom's oldest brother. He played Santa Claus for many years. He always said he was Santa Claus' Helper. A couple of weeks before Christmas he would get ready. He loved to visit all the children at the Children's Hospital and give them little gifts. I don't think he ever thought about himself; he always thought about bringing joy to everybody else. And every year he would be in the town's Christmas parade passing out presents.

I love my Uncle Bob. Every Christmas Eve. He would come by in his Santa Claus suit and bring presents for the whole family. But, he stopped coming last year because he moved into a nursing home. Occasionally, my mom will take me and my brother and sister to see him. We do see him on Christmas Eve, but it's just not the same. I surely do miss Uncle Bob and our tradition.  He looks mighty sad. I wish I could do something to make him happy again. He has been a wonderful uncle.

I miss sitting in his lap and telling him what I want for Christmas. When our family used to go to the mall at Christmas time, we would see him and wait in line. We haven't done that for a couple years now. I think I was five the last time we visited him in the mall.

My dad says he doesn't think Uncle Bob will be with us too much longer he's not in good health. My Mom doesn't like to talk about it. But, I sure do wish he'd come visit us this Christmas. I miss him so much. End of the story.

Billy turned his story in to his teacher. The next morning, Mrs. Pelton handed back everybody’s story. His had a big star on it with an A-plus. He was so excited he couldn't wait to show it to his mom and dad when he got home from school.

Mrs. Pelton asked if anybody would like to read their story to the class. Billy sort of looked away because he did not like reading in front of the other students.  

Mrs. Pelton walked around the class to see if she could encourage a student to read their story. She asked Debbie: “Would you like to read your story to the class?”

“Oh no,” she said. “I cannot do that.”

She asked Tommy: “Would you like to read your story in front of the class? Tommy would not answer, he just put his head down.

The teacher said: “OK Tommy you don't have to read. Billy, would you like to read your story in front of the class?”

Billy replied: “I'm a little scared to. I don't like reading in front of the class.

She asked: “Why?”

“I don't know,” he replied.  “I just feel funny standing up there with everybody watching me”

“Oh,” she said.  “I understand. How about if you turn around and look at the blackboard and read your story? Can you do that?”

Billy said: “Yes, I think I can.”

He walked up to the front of the class.  He turned his back to the class and started to read. As he was reading his story, he noticed that the classroom was very quiet.  He thought to himself they must not be listening. He stopped for a second and turned around and everybody was looking at him.

The children told Billy to keep reading the story. So, he did and when he was finished reading, everybody clapped. They thought it was a wonderful story. “What a great uncle!” someone said. “I wish he was my uncle too!”

Tommy felt very proud. It was the first time he ever told a story and the first time he read out loud in front of his classmates. They didn't laugh at him and they liked his story.

Billy was excited to get home to tell his mom and dad. He got off the school bus and ran into the house.  

“Mommy, guess what?”

She said: “Billy you are so excited. Did you get a good grade in school on your story?

“Yes, mommy, I got an A-plus.”

“Fantastic, Billy. You must have told a good story.”

“I did, mommy, and I had to read it in front of the class, and I didn't get scared.  At first I was a little bit, but Mrs. Pelton said I could look at the blackboard with my back to the class and read it, and I started off that way but then it got so quiet. I was wondering what all the other children were doing. So, I turned around and all the kids we're looking at me and it scared me a little bit, but then they all said finish the story, Billy. They all liked it. I read the story and finished it. And all of them were clapping they all liked my story.”

“That's wonderful! Can I read your story?”

“Of course you can, Mom. But would you mind reading it after dinner at the table so the whole family can hear it?”

“I would love to.”

Everybody else came home and the three children helped their mom set the table. As Billy’s mother was brought dinner to the table, she told everyone: “I have a surprise for all of you after dinner.”

They all were eating their dinner and talking about their day. Dad asked Billy how was school today.

“It was good, dad,” he said.  “I wrote a story. “

“Oh, interesting. Can you tell me what it was about?

“Sure, Dad after dinner.”

Dad asked the other children how their days were, and mom too.

Mom said: “When we clean off the table, I'm going to read Billy’s story to you.”

They were all excited. They could not wait to hear it.

“I can't believe my little brother wrote a story,” Jeff said, and his sister Mary said, “He does have a good imagination.”

They were finished cleaning up after dinner and mom started to read Billy’s story. Once she had finished, she started to cry.

Billy said: “Why are you crying mommy?”

She said: “Because I think it's such a beautiful story. Thank you for writing it.”

That evening when everybody was settling down to bed, Billy's mom told his dad that she was going to e-mail his teacher and see if she can get permission to take Uncle Bob to school on Friday. He could dress in his Santa suit and bring a small gift for each of the children in class.

Billy's dad said, “I think that will be a great idea! I'll even take off Friday and pick him up and help him get into his costume. Just let me know what time. Once you get it approved, I will be there.”

Mrs. Pelton thought it was a great idea and would make all the arrangements. Mrs. Pelton called the parents. They loved the idea!  

Wednesday afternoon, Billy’s mom went to visit Uncle Bob. She told him about the story Billy had written and really wanted him to be Santa Claus’ helper again. She told him she had set it up for Friday at lunchtime for him to come to the school dressed as Santa Claus and pass out gifts to all of Billy’s classmates.

Uncle Bob couldn't believe it. He hardly saw anyone anymore and he never saw any children at the nursing home except family members. He was very excited. He couldn't wait for Friday.

Friday morning, Billy’s dad purchased the gifts and had them wrapped. He put them in Uncle Bob’s big red bag and went to the nursing home.

When he arrived, Uncle Bob was beaming with joy. He was so excited that he was going out to the school and helping Santa Claus one more time. Billy's dad helped Uncle Bob get dressed. They got into the van and off they went to school.

When they arrived at the school, all of the children were watching. “Santa Claus, Santa Claus,” some of them started to say. “You came to our school today!”

Billy's dad came back and got the sack of toys and Uncle Bob went off to the classroom. All the children in the classroom were surprised when Santa Claus came through the door. They all started jumping up and down.

Mrs. Pelton explained, “Class, this is Uncle Bob from the story that Billy wrote. He is here today to give you all a present.”

Billy was so excited his Uncle Bob was Santa Claus again. His wish had come true. He was so happy that Uncle Bob was happy too.

Santa Claus was given a list. He called out each child's name, spoke with them for a few minutes. They gave him a big hug and he gave them each a present.

It was the end of the school day and Uncle Bob stayed at the front door and spoke to every child in the school and ask them what they wanted for Christmas. He was having a wonderful time, all because his nephew thought about him. And he thought nobody was ever thinking about him anymore!

Uncle Bob was inspired by his nephew. He came to their house on Christmas Eve. He arranged for transportation himself. When he rang the doorbell, he had a sack of gifts just like he did his whole life for the children, because he loved bringing joy to every child.

November 24, 2022 19:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wendy Kaminski
00:53 Nov 30, 2022

This was heartwarming all the way through - thanks for a sweet read!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.