So I Married My Stalker

Submitted into Contest #5 in response to: Write a story about two unlikely people falling in love.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Despondent, depressed, discouraged: Harold felt all those "D" words since his wife passed away. The art gallery disliked showing old paintings but his heart wasn't open to creating new ones. The gallery owner called again last week, "Harold, when can we expect a piece from you?"


           "Don't start with me Lou." Harold's voice monotone through the cell phone. He couldn't muster enough energy to modulate it.

           

           "Harold it's been over a year since you lost Jean. Don't you think it's time to move on?"

           

           "To what? Lou. What exactly do you want me to move on to?"


           "The gallery has a showing in a couple weeks. We would love to showcase a new painting of yours."


           "I'll think about it." Harold mumbled ending the call.


           Lou's words nagged at Harold. Being a semi-religious man, Harold looked at the ceiling. "Well God, if you're there, help me find inspiration."


           Harold flipped open his computer. Hoping the gallery catalog might spark his creative juices. The square box in the corner of the screen said he had a message. The message read, "Thank you for painting the snow covered Victorian village. It is beautiful."


           His eyes went to the picture of the woman who sent the note. Cindy, she was blond with big green eyes, probably a few years younger than him. He smiled then messaged her back, "You're beautiful."


           Cindy regularly checked her messages. Today was no exception. She had a note from the artist she'd messaged a couple days earlier. She read it then read it again. "Oh brother." She thought.


           Another message came from him. "Can we talk sometime?"


           "No, I'm not interested in dating."

           

           Harold read her note. The woman intrigued him.


           "Are you married?"


           "No, I'm happily divorced."


           "What kind of a man are you looking for?"


           Cindy rolled her eyes. What was wrong with this guy? Didn't he get the hint? She wrote, "I am not interested in dating anyone but if I was he would have to be easy to talk to, kind, loving, a great communicator, and respect me as a person but again I'm not interested."


          "You're in luck I have all those qualities." Harold pulled out his paints and a clean canvas. He found his muse.


           Cindy told her coworkers, "Guess what guys? I have a stalker."


           "What? Is he dangerous?"


           "Not so far. He's more annoying than anything."


           Vibrant colors brushed across the canvas waiting for the scene to unfold. Harold's hand flew with excitement as ideas cemented in his mind. He needed to meet his muse. Love already coursed through his veins. He didn't know her but soon they would be together.


           "How's your stalker?" Cindy's coworker asked the next day.


           "He keeps calling and telling me stories for hours on end. I can't get a word in edge-wise and he's boring me to tears."


           "How did he get your number?"


           "I asked him that. He said it was through the art gallery but I don't remember giving them my phone number."


           "Sounds a little creepy to me."


           "I know. If he calls again, I'm going to tell him to leave me alone. I'm not ready to be involved with anyone."


           Cindy glanced at her phone as it buzzed. "I'm taking you on a date Thursday so be ready to go by noon." Signed Harold.


           Maybe if she went out with him he would leave her alone afterward. Cindy sighed and messaged him back, "One date."


           Harold excitedly prepared for their date. Cindy had said "one date" but if things went well he hoped for more. Cindy impressed him. She was attractive, creative and she could cook. She was the one for him he just knew it. Harold's hand shook as he reached up to knock on Cindy's front door. He stared at her as the door opened. She was more beautiful in person than in her photo. Cindy smiled. Harold nervously rambled on. Once they were in the car, Cindy evenly said, "Harold, take a deep breath and calm down. I'm here. We have time together so you don't need to tell me your whole life history right this moment."


           They stopped for sandwiches but Harold couldn't sit across the booth from Cindy. Having her looking at him made him uncomfortable. He sat next to her instead. After lunch, they perused a local art museum. Discussing the ones they liked.


           "Harold, have you done any new paintings?"


           "No, my wife passed away fourteen months ago. I was devastated by the suddenness of losing her. I haven't functioned well on my own."


           "I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Now you feel you're ready to date again?" Cindy questioned.


           "I'm not ready to date anyone. Just you."


           "Why me?"


           "I was led to you."


           "What do you mean you were led to me?"


           "I told God I needed inspiration and there you were. You are my muse."


           Cindy nervously laughed. "What is up with this guy? Maybe he is a creeper after all." She thought.


           Harold called her every evening after work. He talked of marriage and sharing their life together. Cindy finally was happy and in a good place after her divorce. She liked her life the way it was. She neither wanted nor needed a man complicating her tranquility.


           One evening Harold called super excited to talk to Cindy. She interrupted him asking if she could speak first. He sighed but let her continue. "Harold, I don't want you to call me anymore. I don't want to get married so please stop calling and leave me alone."


           Silence followed by more silence.


           "Harold, are you still there? Did you hear me?"


           "Yes." He simply said. His enthusiasm waned. "Please do me one favor before you make your decision final. Will you do that for me?"


           "What is the favor?" Cindy asked.


           "The art gallery is showcasing local artists Friday night. Please come as my guest."


           "I will be there." Cindy promised.


           Harold grabbed his phone. "Hey Lou, is there still room to showcase some of my work?"


           "You have a picture for me?" Lou asked pleasantly surprised.


           "Not just one." Harold chuckled.


           Friday night at last, it hadn't come quick enough for Harold. His future depended upon this showcase. He let out a huge sigh of relief when he spotted Cindy looking gorgeous in her navy blue dress.

           

           "Hi" he greeted her.


           "I'm here as promised."


           "I have something to show you." He grabbed her hand pulling her to the other side of the room.


           They rounded the corner. Cindy stopped short gasping for air. Her eyes devoured each picture. Five new pictures hung together. She was a part of each painting. Cindy saw herself through Harold's eyes. She saw beauty and love displayed for all to see. How could she turn away from him now?


           The next morning they planned their wedding.

           


September 06, 2019 14:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.