Tusks and Dagger Fifty-Nine: Witch Side to Choose?

Written in response to: Write about someone who is stuck between two opposing sides and can’t decide which one to choose.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

Nightshade:

Cauchemar paced behind me, his robes dancing with every stomp. Running his hand through his hair, something was eating at him. Ice crept out from underneath his feet, a blast of ice causing me to leap into the air. 

“Get me Lottie! I am too weak right now to get her myself!” He roared thunderously, picking me up by my throat. “Poison her. I need her gone to take over what belongs to me! Go to the silver castle and say you need help. Poison her once you have her trust. If you fail I will kill you like I did to your family. Go!” Throwing me out the window, a whistle escaped my lips. My trusty ride scooped me up, the silver broom carrying me through the sky. The lilac tail danced in the breeze, my gray Victorian dress doing the same. The silky material hugged my petite body, my five foot height would cause a problem in a fight. My lilac eyes scanned the skies for any trouble, the train chugging underneath me giving me pause. Why was I doing this? Right, I didn’t want to die. Blowing my silky gray waves out of my face, something was eating at me. Part of me didn’t want to do this, every breath growing shorter. My heart felt seconds from beating out of my chest, my tears blurring my vision. A gust of wind knocked me off of my broom, branches cracking as I crashed towards the ground. Landing on a rock, the crack of my ribs frightened me. Rolling onto my back, an ivory haired woman with wolf ears towered over me. Her dragon arm held my broken broom, sobs wracking my body. That broom had been my mother’s, her kind eyes scanning me up and down. Tossing me over her shoulder, her fluffy tail wagged with every step. This must be Lottie, guilt mixing with excitement. My target had found me, her soft voice increasing my guilt. 

“I am Lottie. You look like you need help.” She chirped cheerfully, carrying me into a silver rose garden. Several people greeted her as she carried me through the front doors of her castle, a young kid skipped up to her side. Something in his behavior spoke of a mother-son relationship. Laying me down in some sort of medical wing, an ivory haired man rushed in. His mismatched eyes narrowed in my direction, a lump forming in my throat. Colorful feathers floated off of his jacket, the young boy looking eager to help me out. How could my boss hate them so much? Grappling between what to do, one of his shadow birds hovered outside of the dome protecting the castle. Hanging his coat on a hook, the white haired guy approached me with a bag of tools. Focusing on his right inky eye, his unsure smile threatened my plans. Working on my broken ribs, he leaned in real close. 

“I don’t know what Cauchemar is up to but I am going to find out. I am Soma by the way.” He hissed with a suspicious expression, a lump forming in my throat. “I made a promise to protect my majesty no matter what.” Standing up straight, he donned his natural smile. Chatting with Lottie, the kid hopped onto the bed next to me. Resting his hands on his lap, his simple ivory blouse and black pants combo did not speak of royalty. 

“My name is Darwin!” He chirped cheerfully, leaning forward with an even bigger smile. “My mommy is the best.” Soma spoke sharply with him, Darwin popping to his feet. Bouncing after him, Lottie stayed by my side. Weaving a silver string into the handle of my broom, she hummed as she worked. One tug had the wood coming together seamlessly. Resting the repaired broom against the wall, her palms pressed together. 

“What is your name, dear?” She inquired with a broken smile, her trauma hiding underneath her twinkling eyes. Waiting patiently, for an answer, her slender finger tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear. Tears welled up in my eyes, my mother having had a habit of doing this. Soma came back in with a tray of tea, someone calling for Lottie. Rushing out, he poured me some tea. Sliding me over a cup, his cup steamed near mine. Ripping off my worn boots, all my poisons spilled to the floor. Pressing his lips into a thin line, the shadow bird outside went nuts. Pointing to the poisons with a sneer, he kicked them underneath the bed the moment Lottie entered back in with a bright smile. Her brow cocked at Soma’s strange behavior. Another person called for her, her fingers playing with the hem of her emerald wool dress. Excusing herself once more, Soma scooped up the evidence. Dropping the poisons into the bottom of the nearest trash can, a snap of his fingers had flames devouring them. My hope died with the flames, his intense gaze resting on me. 

“What is your name?” He demanded hotly, folding his arms across his chest. “Don’t bullshit me!” Pulling a chair close to me, he sipped his tea to assure me that he didn’t put anything in it. Sitting up with a grunt, the shadow bird fluttered off. A quiet fear hid in my numb gaze, surprise rounding my eyes at his hand cupping mine. 

“Why are you being so nice?” I choked out oddly, his features softening. “I am Nightshade, a poison witch. I can grow plants that aren’t poisonous. I was sent to assassinate Lottie by poisoning. That jerk killed my family and enslaved me. Please don’t kill me like he would.” A throat cleared, our faces paling at the sight of Lottie tapping her foot. Huffing with disappointment, her lips pressed into a thin line. 

“You should have said that from the start. What is he sending to kill you?” She sighed dejectedly, her eyes falling on the shadow bird back outside of the protection dome. Bowing my head in shame, it hurt to break her trust. Walking over to my side of the bed, she plopped down next to me. Lifting up my chin with her finger, panic rounded my eyes. Tears splashed onto my face, her level of trauma was quite clear.  

“I am not mad at you. I need to know what is coming.” She continued warmly, her friendly smile easing my nerves. “I vow to protect you.” Sudden sobs wracked my body, her arms clutching me close to her chest. Every emotion burst from its dam, my tears soaked her shoulder. The last time someone held me like this was my father, her hand rubbing my back. How was she like both of my parents? I admitted that I was going to poison her and she chose to embrace me. Laying me back down, my ribs screamed in protest. Rising to her feet, Soma rose with her. Whispering orders into his ears, his grimace spoke volumes. Approaching me, her steady fingers slid on my worn boots. Helping me to my feet, her arm draped over my shoulder. Our height difference was comical, Soma tossed me my broom. 

“We need you to draw out the monster.” He uttered simply, Lottie ruffling my hair as he opened the window. Climbing onto my broom, the plan sounded insane. Hovering off the ground, Lottie climbed on behind me. Snaking her arms around my waist, cool air lashed at my cheeks as we zoomed through the sky. Her real smile never left her face, Soma tossing her scythe out the window. Catching it in her palm, she tucked it into her belt. Trees flashed beneath us, half of them crashing to the ground. Thanking me with a pat on the back, my cries fell on deaf ears as she leapt off my broom. Unfurling leathery wings, a salute alarmed me. Small arms curling around my waist alarmed me, Darwin appearing out of nowhere. His hair danced in the breeze, his eager eyes shining with adventure. 

“My transportation spell worked. Want to watch my mother fight with me?” He sang jovially, pointing to a cliff close enough to see everything. Flying down the cliff, his boots hit the rocks in seconds. Picking a pair of rocks, he patted the other. Something was dark in him, his aura holding a tinge of danger. Plopping down together, his hand curled around mine. Lottie looked like a ball of light bouncing off the giant shadow bird, fresh guilt hitting me. 

“I wanted to warn you not to harm my mother. I could smell the deceit on you the moment she carried you in.” He continued with an earnest smile, dropping my hand. His seriousness woke up something in me, the silver vines curling around the bird. 

“I didn’t plan on it from the moment she rescued me. I was fighting it for a while but I would have already done it. How foolish can you be to pick up any injured stranger?” I returned in disbelief, his fingers drumming on his lap. “The rumors are true then. Everyone that has their town blessed has nothing mean to say about her.” Lottie flipped through the air, her scythe striking its heart. It’s skin bubbled, Darwin summoning a shimmering dome around us. 

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did you two become like mother and son?” I questioned with my naturally crooked smile, his face lighting up. Maybe there was something more to Lottie than I knew, his hands cupping mine. 

“She bought me!” He announced with glee, my face falling into a bewildered look. “I know it sounds bad but she blocked a hit from my father and cursed them all to rot in Hell. Ever since then, she has been raising me. One time, the God of Death took me over and she begged me not to die. We have been training ever since. She gave me siblings to take care of. Not one person is more amazing in this world.” True love glowed in his eyes, the bloody guts bouncing off of his dome not fazing him in the slightest. It made sense now, she bought him to save him. Instead of harming him, she showed him a world of light. A bloody hand grasped the edge of the cliff, Lottie pulling herself up. Smothering Darwin in kisses, his laughter twinkled in the air. Shaking the guts off of her body, the body decayed to ash. 

“Do you want to see something?” She offered sincerely, holding out her hand. “Sorry about the blood.” Cuts lined her arms, her scythe bouncing off her leg. This must be an anxious tick, the queen working through what to do next. A train whistle echoed in the distance, Darwin climbing onto her back. An ornate train chugged to a stop, a tall eighteen year old man waved for her to come on. Climbing into a private car, she motioned for me to sit. Snapping her fingers, any mess dissolved to reveal a clean dress. The conductor sprinted back to her, his big smile growing wider. 

“How’s it going, Emmie?” She asked with a bright smile, his body smashing into hers. Letting her go, they broke into a pleasant chat. Who else loved her? Darwin bounced up to me, his kind smile stealing my heart. How was he so happy when I could see the trauma on his aura? 

“They are best friends.” He explained with an even bigger smile, his tiny body plopping down next to me. Humming to himself, the train chugged to life. Trees flashed by the window, childlike wonder brightening my eyes at the tracks laying themselves down. Staring numbly out the window, it had been my mother’s dream to ride this train. Silent tears stained my cheeks, small arms curling around my neck had surprise rounding my eyes. Darwin buried his head into the nape of my neck, his golden heart slowing my tears. 

“You don’t have to worry anymore.” He promised sweetly, his body settling on my lap. Stunned by this little boy, Lottie had raised him well. Watching the shifting scenery, roars and balls of flames had us poking our heads out of our windows. Dragons flew in the sky, an island of dragons had me gasping louder than I ever thought I could. Hissing to a stop, Peony waved to a giant dragon with shimmering onyx scales. Jumping out, tears flowed freely from her eyes the moment she buried her face into her snout. Dragons surrounded her, Lottie greeting them all with her real smile. Waving us over, the train chugged away, Darwin spinning up to his mother. Dragons of all kinds brushed their snouts against my cheeks, my hand scratching behind my ears. My mother scolded me when I was a child every time I brought  up dragons, tears of joy cascading down my cheeks. Rough tongues licked my tears away, the queen dragon clapping her claws together. Giving me space, everything from the clear water to the colorful flowers stole my breath away. 

“Welcome to the realm of the dragons.” The beautiful dragon spoke gracefully, tapping the top of my head. “If you keep this place a secret, then you get to become an honorary dragon.” Surprised that I could understand her, it must be my language skills that were taught to me as a child. Touched by her kindness, my hands curling around her claw. 

“Sounds great.” I effused with a crooked grin, her claw tapping my head. “Maybe I can stay here to hide.” Lottie glanced up at Mina, her shoulders shrugging. Taking a step back, she pulled my broom from behind her back. Strange symbols covered the wood, a special layer of protection over the handle. Presenting it to me, my fingers curled around the wood. Tears welled up in my eyes, her hands crossing. 

“Mina would have to permit you. They could benefit from you. There is fertile ground all around you. Don’t grow any poison.” She returned sweetly, her head cocking to the right. “Your broom can never break again. Take care of it.” The train whistled in the distance, her eyes flitting between Mina and me. Mina tapped her claw on my head, the sad smile on Lottie’s lips had my heart shattering. 

“I will protect her. I promise.” Mina assured her, tears welling up in her eyes. “It would be lovely to have a human around to help me out.” Lottie sulked over to Mina’s snout, her palms rubbing her scales. A sadness lingered in her eyes, her tears dripping down the scales. 

“That’s my girl. Mina would be proud of you. Take care of her for me.” She sobbed softly, her fingers scratching at her scales. “I have to go. Darwin, say goodbye.” Smashing his body into mine, he buried his head into my shoulder. Glancing up at me with wet eyes, the train whistle covered his words. Leaping onto Lottie’s shoulders, they climbed onto the car. The train chugged away, leaving me with Mina. Lowering her eye to my level, her crooked grin gave me hope. Scooping me onto her back, her claw laid my broom down.

“I'm going to show a different way to fly.” She promised in a motherly tone, hot air lashing at my cheeks as she took off into the sky. Shooting into the clouds, my broom could never take me this high. Rising to my feet, my hair fluttered behind me. Feeling the fluffy cloud against my skin, freedom never felt so wonderful. Her hearty laughter boomed like thunder, her body rolling over. Catching me on her belly, we hovered in the clouds. Different elements of many colors illuminated the clouds, my breath hitching.

“So beautiful.” I choked out with my brightest smile, happy tears flowing from my eyes. “I love it here.” Sobbing uncontrollably, her claw wiped away my many tears. Throwing me in the air, she caught me with her head. Holding onto her horns, air rushed around me as she landed next to the glistening water. Baby dragons pounded over to me, all of their tails wagging. For the longest time, I had dreams of living among dragons. Kicking up a coconut, they watched as I bounced the brown fruit palm to palm. Their eyes followed it, a playful chuckle tumbling from my lips the moment I threw it into the distance. Bouncing off to get it, an idea came to me.  Picking up a rock at my boot, my fingers kicked up a discarded dragon claw. Carving in a protection spell with the exception of Lottie and her friends, the dragons gasped as a cloaking spell came over a thousand foot radius. Shoving it into the trunk of a red tree, fresh tears flowed from my eyes at the dragons building me a home out of rocks and leaves. Clutching my hand to my chests, my father would have loved to see these magnificent creatures. Sinking to knees, the dragons surrounded me. Smothering me in licks, it was hard to stay sad. Letting them comfort me, a couple of them laid cooked fish at my knees. 

“I love you so much!” I wept with mixed emotions, taking a bite. Eating whatever meal this was, their tales made me feel better. Spending the rest of the day with them, I stumbled into my rock home. A couple of the baby dragons followed me in, my heart happy that they climbed onto my comfy bed next to me. Clutching them to my chest, the tears returned. Remembering my father and sister’s smiles, it all hit me at once. Something fluttered on my broom, a sad smile dawning on my lips. A tattered picture of my family greeted me, a snap of my fingers bringing it over to me. How did Lottie find this? I had been looking for it, my tears hitting the picture. Thanking her silently, a rough slumber swept me away.

March 14, 2024 18:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.