0 comments

Romance Holiday Happy

It all started with gelato.

Lanterns lit up the street and laughter filled the air. Music enveloped the crowds with a cheerful melody. Audrey let the grin spread on her face, ruby-red lips toward the sky as she dipped her head back. 

The stars smiled down on her and the night air felt lively, sending an excited chill throughout her body. She did it. She was finally here. After months of wishing, hoping and thinking she had given in. Audrey had packed up and gone to Italy, leaving the boring metropolitan that she had always known.

Her scarlet heels clicked on the pavement, wobbling as she dodged waiters and tourists with cameras held to their faces. She stumbled slightly on a pebble, crimson sundress flowing around her. 

Audrey steadied herself before strutting on through the crowd, gawking at store signs and smiling musicians who let out a cheery, ‘Ciao, bella!’ 

Overwhelmed by the beauty and the feeling of just being alive, Audrey continued down the busy street, fairy lights strung on trees and conversations being shouted from all directions. She narrowly avoided a small child before stumbling again, arms flailing and losing her balance.

Until she was caught.

Audrey felt hands on her waist, palms gently landing on her hips. She was clutching the softness of a well-loved leather jacket and was surrounded by the musk of oak. Audrey carefully adjusted herself before looking upward at her saviour.

The world seemed to melt away as she glanced at his full lips; pink and pouted. Her eyes trailed up to his perfect nose and then to his voluminous eyelashes that brushed against his cheek with every blink. Then she met his eyes; rich, chocolate-brown that warmed her up inside to meet her green ones.

‘T-thank you,’ She whispered, still lost in the deep pools of honey. A wide smile spread slowly on his face, revealing dimples that entranced her.

‘You’ve got to be careful around here,’ he replied, the sharp British accent leaving her breathless in shock and attraction. ‘You never know what’s gonna trip you up.’

Audrey let out a giggle at this, not particularly because it was funny but because he said it in that adorable voice of his and his face made her feel wobbly inside. She stared at him for another moment, unsure what to do or say.

Audrey slowly pulled away from the man, though her hands yearned to linger. She offered a hand out for him to shake. 

‘I’m Audrey,’ she said with a seductive smile, voice more confident than before. The man takes her hand and kisses the top of it instead, the warmth of his lips heating up her cheeks.

‘I’m Sam,’ he replied, still leaning down and staring at her intently. Audrey slowly lowers her hand, which takes great restraint. ‘Why don’t we go get some gelato or something, for the shock?’

Audrey’s face lit up. Her first night in Italy and she had already met a handsome stranger who was interested in her - her! And he wanted to take her out for gelato. She nodded in response, to which Sam entwined his hand in hers.

He leapt forward, pulling her behind him and stopping when she stumbled forward. Sam then lifted Audrey up into his arms, which made her squeal and then laugh with delight. Audrey clasped her hands around his neck, laughing along with him as the two headed down the street.

Stracciatella, mint chocolate chip, red velvet, pistachio… all flavours were devoured throughout the night as the couple shared stories and laughed, trying not to think about how little time they have together. How they will never be able to make it work.

But after the gelato, came biscotti. Then came waffles in Brussels, macarons in Paris, chocolate-covered churros in Madrid and apple strudel in Vienna. Then, finally came Victoria sponge with lashings of cream on their wedding day.

Audrey hears the front door shut and the sound of shoes hitting the wall. She just has time to turn her head before she is crushed under the weight of two small and excited children, clinging onto her for dear life. 

Audrey laughs as they chatter excitedly, smothering her in kisses. She shares a grin with Sam as the children release her from their grasp and toward the family dog. 

‘Put your coat on,’ Sam says, making Audrey look at him with bewilderment. ‘It’s Valentine’s Day!’

Audrey laughs. ‘We’re too old for that.’ 

The front door opens and closes before a young woman walks into the kitchen, tucking strands of curly hair behind her ears.

‘Sorry I’m a bit late!’

Sam hands the woman a sheet of instructions before holding his arm out to Audrey, who takes it with a smile. 

‘I haven’t got any makeup on,’ She weakly protests, to which Sam groans. He pulls Audrey out of the door and opens the car door for her, which makes her chuckle. 

They drive through the quiet suburbs and out into fields for what feels like hours. Audrey watches the crops dance in the wind and the smell of manure fill the car. 

‘Where are we going?’ She asks, to which Sam replies with a grin. 

As the sun goes down, smudging candyfloss clouds across the burning sky, the car drives on. The smell of salt wafts in through the window and Audrey can hear laughter. She bolts up excitedly, her neck craned for the view on the horizon. 

Bright lights and signs come into view, announcing the seaside roller coaster and the sale of hot dogs and fries. The smells bring excitement to Audrey, who sticks her head out of the window. But the car doesn’t stop.

The crowded boardwalk stretches beside them until it ends behind them, the laughter fading into the distance. Sam smiles at the expression on Audrey’s face as the car turns into a little alcove on the clifftop. 

Sam stops the car and Audrey gets out, shivering gently as the breeze hits her face. Their hands entwine, wrinkled and worn from years of living. Gravel crunches underneath their feet and the quiet sound of waves lapping against the shore; mixing into a hushed beat. 

Then a small wooden hut comes into view with bright flashing letters hanging from the doorway. Fairy lights are strung along the balustrade, twinkling merrily. Through the mint-green window panes, Audrey can make out the interior. 

As they get closer, Audrey gasps and delighted tears fill her eyes. The word ‘gelato’ flashes in a cheery font, inviting them inside. From the bottom of the stairs, she can see the pink and white checkerboard floors and the mauve plush seats surrounding old-fashioned silver tables. 

Sam grins at the wide smile on Audrey’s face and the twinkle in her eye. He leads her over to a table in the empty store as a waitress rushes over with a tray of gelato cups and a smile on her face. 

The waitress places the cups on the table wordlessly and Audrey takes a look. A thick and creamy scoop of gelato fills the cup, smothered in rainbow sprinkles and a large chocolate heart. Sam lifts his first gelato cup and they ‘cheers’, just like they did on the first night they met. 

Stracciatella, mint chocolate chip, red velvet, pistachio...

And she fell in love all over again.

February 17, 2021 06:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.