Daydreams

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

10 comments

Fantasy Sad Fiction

From the beginning of time, there has always been one thing.

Darkness.

But with darkness, there was a counterbalance.

Light.

Many beings were born from these light and dark deities, but the youngest is the one that tells this story. Her name is Muse.

Flora is mothers favorite. She is so kind and compassionate. According to our mother, Flora is so perfect and treats every one of her siblings so nicely, and we should all follow her example.

I would treat my siblings nice like her, but the thing is, I've tried that, it doesn’t work. 

Mother always says if you are kind to others, they will be kind back. I don't know what universe she lives in, but that is clearly not the case. Ire always yells at me to get away from her, and Fable always tricks me somehow. Then Nightmare toys with my fears of dad, taunting me. 

Why would I ever want to be nice to them? They all hate Flora for being so perfect. I am just glad I am too young to venture to earth with the rest of my siblings. Then I have to be paired up with one of them to go help another insufferable human. 

What's up with that? 

Why do we even bother?

But enough about my annoying family, I haven't even got through half of my siblings. I want to tell you about myself.

I am Muse.

I am scared of my dad, my mom doesn't care about me, I am the youngest of our clearly imperfect family, I have dark brown hair like dad and bright blue eyes like mom. I have rounded eyebrows like Flora and a small nose like Ire. My eyes are large like Fable's and the other features my siblings have, I do as well. 

The only thing I have to myself is my power. My specialty. It isn't even a good one like Nightmare's. 

I have the ability to delve into humanities consciousness and twist whatever dream they are having. I can also inflict daydreams, causing humans to become distracted. My dad sees this as a disappointment, our entire purpose is to aid humans to become the best selves they can be, I guess this is why he and Ire don’t get along. 

And to make things worse I can't control my daydreams,and oftentimes they wind up being darker than intended. 

I can’t control it, I’ve told him countless times, but mostly everything is my fault. Everything is blamed on me. I'm the youngest, "I don't know any better" Flora says. I hate her.

Fable, Ire, and Nightmare don't care, and neither do any of my other siblings. I hate them all. I hate Mother for not paying attention to me, and I hate dad for how he has made me feel. I hate being insignificant in their eyes. That's why I'm leaving.

Our very existence is to aid humanity. I don’t see why we should. They are all imperfect, messing up every single day no matter how we help them. No one can see what I do. They are all blinded by hope. Only I see the true nature of humans.

So as I pack my things, I decide.

Why not aid them in their true nature?

It would make my job all to easy.

I take one last look at my home, and then I leave for earth. I will never be tormented by them again.

It feels like eons later. It probably is.

But finally I’m here. 

All these people are walking around, a few screaming into their cell phones, some sipping things from the plastic mugs Flora hates so much. 

I don’t look like them. Rather I focus my gaze on a single girl. She wears a pink tutu and her mother walks slightly in front of her, talking into a phone. 

I reach out in my mind.

Hello. I say, to her tiny brain.

The little girl looks up. She heard me.

I’m in your mind.

A look of panic overtakes her expression.

You needn't be frightened.

Who are you? The little girl asks. The little ones tend to accept it easier than adults. They are so eager for magic. Once I give them a bit of it…

I send the girl an image of me. No one can see us winged people, not in real life. They must use their imagination.

You’re very pretty. She tells me. Are you an angel?

I am an angel of sorts. Tell me, what is your name?

I’m Christine.

That’s a very lovely name. Now, Christine, would you like me to tell you a story? 

Yes please.

I do as the girl asks as her mom tugs her along. Her own mother seems to care about her more than mine ever did. Has anyone even noticed I’ve been missing?

Once upon a time, there was Darkness. He was my father. I decide to tell her about me. Why not?

Then Light was born. She was my mother.

Darkness was always chasing light, trying to snuff her out. He didn’t like sharing the universe with anyone, with her. But once he caught her, he fell deeply in love. Light returned his feelings and together they brought more deities into the universe.

I am the youngest of their children. I am Muse.

My siblings didn’t like me, and so I left to help the humans.

You came to help me? Christine asks.

Yes. Christine, can I ask you something?

Of course. Is her innocent reply.

Do you trust me?

Yes.

Then do as I say, will you?

Yes. She says again.

Let go of your mother’s hand. She does as I ask and I smile to myself. No step into the street.

She does as I say, unwavering faith.

Careful Christine, I say as the sound of traffic becomes all too consuming. you shouldn’t let you mind daydream.

But the little girl doesn’t answer me back. And her mother’s scream are the ones that fill the air, cutting through the sirens.

It’s just the truth, humanity is imperfect, they aren't careful enough with their lives. They are always getting into trouble, one day after another. Why should I waste my time on one soul, when they will mess up again? No one in my family understood my side. But now I have brought it to light, and the truth shines upon us all.


April 30, 2021 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Cole Lane
03:47 May 06, 2021

Muse is the most amazing thing it brings us inspiration and ideas and creativity, I love that you gave her a voice! Kudos!

Reply

Charli Britton
11:02 May 06, 2021

Thank you!! I will be sure to read some more of your stories. I have been a little behind lately.

Reply

Cole Lane
13:24 May 06, 2021

Thank you Charli, I appreciate it! But really, no worries, don't feel you owe a read back. I just love to see how other writers spin a prompt. It gives me ideas (stealin' ;)) for future short stories, POV and writing styles. There is so much here!

Reply

Charli Britton
13:46 May 06, 2021

Yeah! I completely understand that. Right back at you. :) I don't feel like I owe you, I don't really work that way, but that doesn't stop me from doing what I want!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A B
14:46 Sep 10, 2021

Really great but a gut wrencher at then end the poor little girl. Great story though

Reply

Charli Britton
20:01 Sep 10, 2021

Thank you. Heavens how long did it take you to read my stories? Did you read all of them? Kuddos to you!

Reply

A B
20:15 Sep 10, 2021

Haha yeah I found your account and just kept reading cause they were so good you really have a talent!

Reply

Charli Britton
20:48 Sep 10, 2021

Thanks so much!! That means a lot!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Essa Morah
06:51 May 09, 2021

Being a frequent daydreamer I enjoyed reading this. The ending was totally unexpected.

Reply

Charli Britton
14:08 May 09, 2021

Thank you. I am a big idealist as well and this was so fun to write for me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.