0 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Coming of Age

For most of Man's history, and throughout most of civilization, it was thought that the only life in the galaxy possibly the universe came from Earth. Although there was a great deal of debate over whether or not there was life off of our giant blue marble, very few suspected that the day we would come to find Extra Terrestrial life, that it would be found so close to us.

    

Earth, unlike all other planets in our solar system, has but one orbital. This orbital our very own moon is thought to have been created by a collision between a large planetary body and our Earth, and while most evidence supports this claim, it is still speculative. Our moon is like a large grey stamp in the sky, and while many a man have traversed on it, we have only seen it as a place that is barron and void of all life. It was believed to be inhospitable by all credible researchers and those who disagreed still thought one thing to be true. Whether or not the moon can have life, we know it does not have life. It's a statement that was accepted by just about everyone, and those who thought otherwise, whether it be "truthers" or something of the like, they still had no way of knowing for certa

in. It was just a hunch. A lucky one.

When I was very young, I’d sometimes dream I could float. Not fly, but float. I’d push off with my feet and find myself floating, maybe a foot or so off the ground. Then with my knees bent, and my body tilted slightly forward like one of those Segway scooters, I’d move forward at maybe around five or so miles per hours.

The feeling was absolutely exhilarating! I mean I was floating like a helium balloon! Can you imagine how that felt? It was shear magic! What also was magic was jumping off any height and, instead of falling like a rock, I’d drift down like a balloon that had lost some of its lift.

Later, as I grew older, my floating speed increased, so that by the time I was in middle school, I was actually flying . . . at least, in my dreams, anyway.

But then things began to change for real.

One day, I was running through some woods towards an open field of grass and weeds. I had my dusky brown Alsatian "Bruno", running along side of me. Coming upon a huge rock that was pointing up and out of the ground at an angle, I ran up the rock and went to jump off. Instead of crashing to the ground, I found myself floating like a feather down to the grass and dirt below.

“Holy cow!” I exclaimed, my entire body vibrating with disbelief. Standing there stunned, I repeated, “Holy cow! Holy cow!”

Then turning to my dog, I said, "Bruno, did you see that?” He just looked at me with those little black eyes of his, having no idea what I was talking about, but I sure did.

“This has got to be one of my dreams!” I said out loud. “It has to be! In real life, people don’t float!”

In order to make sure it was a dream, I turned and kicked the rock really hard. Ow! That hurt!

Holy cow, I thought, my head spinning! It isn’t a dream! But that can’t be? No, no, no, it has to be a dream! It has to be!

Unable to believe what was happening, And suddenly I found myself in middle of the something strange. on the silver grey planet with purple trees around guess what! I tress passed a orange lime pond and thought about why it might be happening. Was I suddenly turning into some kind of super hero? Had a radioactive spider bit me? No, that was a really stupid idea . . . but then there was one explanation that actually could be the reason, even if it didn’t make any sense at all.

“Mom!” I said as I entered in the store. She was at the Grocery corner peaking asteroid beans .But how can it be possible for a dead person. She had her back to me. “You’d always said that you are my real parents—were you lying to me?” I couldn’t ask my father, because they both dead in a plane crash four years earlier.

She didn’t turn around, but I could see that she had stopped what she was doing, and just stood there, “Mom, am I an alien?” And "where are we?" I asked her.

This time, she did turn to me. She looked nervous and changed. “Mom, tell me. Is that what I am?”

Turning back to the seller, she pull off her basket. Then facing me once again, said, “ Wanna try smoothie? We need to have a talk.” No kidding, I thought!

“First off, why are you asking me this?”

“Because of what just happened to me,” I said, as I stood up. Then pushing up with my feet, I stayed floating in the air.

Mom’s eyes got bigger than two doughnuts. “Oh, my God!” she said. “It’s beginning!”

“What’s beginning?” I asked, as I dropped back down to the floor. Somehow my body knew just what to do.

Mom sighed. “You weren’t born in the local hospital like I told you.”

“I wasn’t? Then where was I born?”

"You born in Moon ...this is your origin but when you were of five days we forced to leave our home for your worth sake with a note.”

“You mean like Superman?” I asked incredulous. She nodded. Feeling both sad and all kinds of icky, I asked her, “What did the note say?”

“It said not to alert the authorities, but take good care of your child in alien planet "Earth". But Your father and I, were scared about some changes from past that when our child reaches puberty, certain changes will take place. It also asked us not to be panic.”

Changes? What other changes, I wondered?

Looking at my mom, I asked, “So tell me about what you thought might happen?”

Looing at me with sad eyes, she replied, “Your father and I had no idea what to do next.”

I exclaimed "I am not a human anymore?"

“So I could become anything,” I said excited. “Maybe even a super hero titled Supergirl?” Mom shrugged. The idea sent shivers of excitement all up and down my body.

Not only did I continued to wonder today why from Earth I had come from, but also what other abilities I might get? I didn’t have long to wait to find out.

Very quickly, the floating changed to actual flying. Not only could I fly, but also control how fast and high I could go. My body changed, too. I suddenly got really, really strong like Supergirl. But what I hadn’t expected was how fast I could read and remember things. I felt almost like a human computer, sucking up all kinds of information as fast as I could absorb it, which was why I didn’t have to go to school any longer to learn stuff. Everything I read, I remembered.

So she wouldn’t get into trouble, mom told fellow aliens that I can travel Moon for the weelends . They believed her. The one thing that bothered me, though, was that, although I was becoming like Supergirl, I wasn’t growing any faster than before. I still looked just like a kid in middle school, which was why I had to be really careful around other kids my age.

But I wasn’t a kid in middle school any longer. I had become a brainiac who could do all kinds of things, like leap tall buildings with a single bound, or fly around the world, if I wanted—and I did, but not to see the sights. I wanted to stop bad things from happening. Watching the news on TV and the net was making me more and more angry. That’s when I made my decision to seek out and stop bad people from doing bad things.

Of course, mom wasn’t happy with my decision, but Papa do and after I proved to her that I couldn’t be killed, she let me. I even took 'em on a couple of my trips. They loved it. But what Mom didn’t love, and neither did I, was when the feds showed up and threatened both her and myself if I didn’t do stuff for them. It took some heavy and very painful persuasion by me before they agreed to let me choose my own targets.

Since then, the world has been feeling a lot more Godly these days.

November 13, 2020 13:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.