4 comments

Drama Fiction Horror

Night at the Crypt

Suzanne Marsh

Jack Baptiste was casually toward the group of tourists. It was almost Halloween, in fact it was a day away. Jack watched two of the tourists more closely, they looked like easy prey. They appeared to be brothers, so much the better. He had something in mind, a ploy he used every Halloween, it guaranteed him at least an extra five hundred dollars. He strode over toward the two young men:

“Hallo, my name is Jean Baptiste, I am a great great grandson of Marie Laveau. I know that

you visited her grave on your tour today. She is in Saint Louis Cemetery I. Since tomorrow

night is Halloween, would you two like to make a bet with me that you can not spend the '

entire night in the cemetery sitting next to Marie's crypt. Sometimes, she comes out of

her crypt to grant wishes.”

Matt and Mark, did not even hesitate to answer:

“Yeah, we'll do it. We could use the five hundred dollars.”

“Good” replied Jack.

June 15, 1881

“I know it is my time” the elderly woman shrieked. “I, Marie Laveau promise that anyone

who comes to my crypt, places an X on it, turns three times, yells their wish I will fulfill it.”

Her eyes fluttered shut, the death rattle began. Most feared Marie, her reputation as voodoo queen was well known. Her daughter Marie Laveau II, held her hand. She thought of Marie as she was, young and beautiful, long black hair, light skin, her Mama. She thought of how her Mama taught her about herbs, that heal, herbs that sicken and even kill. She learned at her Mama's knee how to cast spells. Now as her Mama lay dying, she would now be the voodoo queen. She knew that her Mama, had written down many things in her journals, that would aid her now. The sun set as Marie Laveau I passed from this world to the next.

Halloween 2020

Matt and Mark Hammer knew they had done with stupid things but agreeing to visit the crypt of Marie Laveau on Halloween night; on a dare, was no doubt the stupidest stunt yet. Matt, was deep in thought as the two young men returned to the tour group. Their parents would never allow them to spend Halloween night at a crypt in an old, no doubt haunted cemetery. They would have to sneak out. He thought about what he could do with five hundred dollars, well two hundred and fifty. This was going to be an easy money thing. Tomorrow the tour had several stops in the New Orleans area before returning to the hotel. Matt, knew the easiest way to leave the tour group would be somewhere near the cemetery, the last place o Ann their agenda for tomorrow. The tour guide took them back to the hotel that evening, suggesting Antoine's one of the finest restaurant in New Orleans. The Hammer family changed into their evening ware. The tour bus took them to Antoine's, they noted that the building was a flamboyant pink, it had black wrought iron rails. They entered the Antoine's where they were greet by Garson. The tables were in the Emerald Room. Very elegantly appointed dark mahogany wood tables and chairs. Snowy white line table clothes. The silence of the dining room was deafening to the two young men. Once dinner was ended the tour group returned to the hotel.

The suite was down the hall, from their parents making their exit easier. Matt, was quite adept at sneaking out at night. The plan was simple, just put pillows under the covers then the boys would leave. That was the easy part, they still had to walk to the cemetery, scale the wrought iron fence. Then the had to find the crypt. Matt and Mark watched television with their parents. Ten o'clock came too soon. The said good night to the parents, heading toward their suite. They stuffed pillows into place. Each took a back pack with snacks. The quietly snuck past their parents suite, onto the elevator and out a side door. They headed south toward Saint Louis Cemetery one. As the rounded the corner, there stood Jack Baptiste:

“Come with me, there is a place you can enter the cemetery without being seen.”

Jack walked briskly as the two boys attempted to keep up. Jack, opened a creaking gate on the opposite of the location of the crypt. He hustled the boys along as they moved closer to Marie's crypt. Jack pointed to a large white crypt, with the name Glapion etched on the door. The had been told to bring an offering if they wanted a wish granted. Jack, informed the boys that he would be leaving shortly, in the same breath he warned them that Marie would no doubt reveal herself tonight, she did every Halloween. Leaving Matt and Mark with that thought he hurried toward the gate they came in.

Midnight was indeed the bewitching hour for Matt and Mark. The wind became cold, swirls began to circle the boys. Matt quickly grabbed the gifts for Marie from his back pack. A ghostly apparition appeared to be walking toward them. The long black hair flying about its face hiding its features. A boney hand stuck out as Mark handed the swirl the gift of sweet ginger root. Then he yelled his wish:

“My wish is we make it through tonight, no ghosts flying around.”

Matt, was next, his gift was a branch of rosemary:

“My wish is a curse be placed on Jack Baptiste for the evil he is purporting.”

The wind swirled toward the crypt. The boys sat down near the crypt, the bet was they had to stay until day break no matter what happened. The swirl opened the crypt door and floated into the crypt; closing the door behind it. The two brothers hugged each other, this was like an Alfred Hitchcock move gone wrong. They huddled down on the ground next to the crypt. Once again the wind picked up and a swirl went past them.

They knew if they waited long enough that Marie Laveau would no doubt appear. Shortly a tall, beautiful mulatto woman strode toward them. The boys could not take their eyes off of her. Her smile was warm and tender like a beam of light. The closer she came the more she faded into the shadows. Her hands caressed their faces, suddenly the hands became bones only; the beautiful face turned into a mask of horror. She walked away, the shoulders stooped. She disappeared into the night. The boys, remained where they stood, watching, wondering what else could happen.

Dawn appeared suddenly. The fog came with the dawn of the day. Jack Baptiste seemed to appear out of no where. With the look of the grim reaper; he handed the boys five hundred dollars.

The boys scrambled back to their suite, only to find their Dad standing in the middle of their room:

“okay, so where have you two been?”

Sheepishly Matt informed him about the bet with Jean Baptiste: they had spent the entire night in the graveyard next to the crypt of Marie Laveau. Would they do something so foolish again, asked their father. They both yelled:

“You bet we would.”

October 29, 2020 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Lovely story!

Reply

Sue Marsh
20:06 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you Haripriya, I am so glad you enjoyed it. Sue

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ramon Martensen
19:02 Nov 06, 2020

Hi Sue, What an interesting story. I like how you ground folklore into today's world. It's a good premise. Maybe it can use some work on the pacing. Build the tension from the moment they enter the graveyard. They can maybe slowly start to notice things that make them suspicious. Other than that it's a great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aemilia Urban
15:48 Nov 06, 2020

Hi. I enjoyed the story - it is a great idea with a lot of potential. However, it was hard for me to follow the text sometimes. Especially the interpunction wasn't always correct and I think if you look at some tips on using commas, it would make the text cleaner. Don't let that discourage you, overall you did great. Aemilia

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.