0 comments

Drama Romance

My lucky day?

A short story by Leon Meyer. September 2020.

“Really? Must you? Tonight of all nights!”

“Don’t worry Love. Just a few quick shots. I promise. It’s only four in the afternoon now, and the weather is perfect. Eight is still four hours away.”

“But what if you get caught in the traffic? Or get side-tracked? You arty-farty people are all the same. Once you get caught up in things, time doesn’t matter anymore.”

“I’ll be on time, I promise. See you at eight. Ciao for now.”

As I return my cell phone to the console, I imagine Doreen’s face in a scowl and smile. She’s a career woman. Hardly has any time to enjoy life. Rush here, rush there. Always on the run. That’s my Doreen. Me, on the other hand, I live a free, independent life. Photography is a hobby, and I’m always on the lookout for new places to take that perfect photo.

After parking my old Subaru, I sit for a few minutes to scout out the old abandoned four-storey building in front of me. This used to be a bustling hotel years ago, perched on the cliff overlooking the sea. It’s been standing empty since ten guests were massacred here three years ago. After its owner died recently, the family sold it to a developer abroad who wants to restore it to its former glory. Good luck with that one, mister. The local people won’t touch it. They believe it is haunted and should be demolished.

Of course, I don’t care about that stuff. I live for adventure and a challenge. I don’t believe in ghosts anyway. I take my camera and get out of the car. The weather is perfect; I should be able to get a few nice shots of the inside and views from the top floor. I love photographing abandoned places, and I feature them on my website. My website already has many followers. Although Doreen says it’s a silly hobby, I’ve seen her checking out my site now and then.

After taking some photos on each floor, I end up on a balcony on the fourth floor. The view from there is magnificent. I’m just in time to see the sun touching the horizon. I know about the green flash that is sometimes visible for a few seconds as the sun sinks below the horizon, but it’s always eluded me. I’m hoping to catch it today. As the sun sets, I start taking a sequence of photos. And lo and behold, I manage to get one showing the green flash. Wow. Mission accomplished. I’ve been trying to get that shot for years. Must be my lucky day. I check my watch. I better rush home if I want to be on time for our appointment. Doreen will not forgive me if I’m late.

As I amble off to the staircase to make my way down, I notice the elevator. The down button beckons. I might be lucky. I push the button. To my surprise, the doors slowly open and the light inside is on, albeit somewhat dim. Wow, this is certainly my lucky day! It seems that the power was never turned off. Despite that little voice in my sub-conscious that tells me to use the stairs, I enter and push ‘G’ for ‘Ground’. The doors gently close and a whirring noise above says we’re in business. The descent begins. Third floor… Second floor... And then it stops with a bump. The elevator light flickers and dies.

“Holy moly. This is not good.” I hear myself thinking the words out loud. I reach for my cell phone. Oops. It’s not in my pocket. Of course, I left it in the car. What a dumb move. Nobody knows where I am, and I can’t even call anyone. Doreen will surely kill me this time! She’s always so punctual and organised, and prim and proper. And I’m the opposite. A free spirit, never on time for anything, disorganised, laid back. Would a combination like that ever work, I wonder? A bit late for that Pal; should’ve thought about that before. Stop brooding Pal and get going.

For a few moments I just stand there, undecided. Maybe I should do what the heroes do in the movies—push open the doors manually and climb out. Easy, no? After a few attempts and a struggle, the doors slide open a little but refuse to budge further. Just not enough space to squeeze through. Okay. Plan B. Climb up through the roof of the elevator. Easier said than done, I’m no Bruce Willis. I try the doors again. They budge a bit more. We’re between floors. I manage to squeeze through onto the ledge of the first floor. Those doors are also closed and won’t slide open no matter how hard I push. I climb back into the elevator. By this time, I am angry, sweaty, and dirty. It’s getting darker by the minute. Soon I won’t be able to see anything. In pure frustration, I jump up and down a few times, yelling at the universe for getting me in this predicament. Suddenly the light comes on and the elevator starts moving again. I reach the ground floor and the doors open. I fly out at the speed of light and run outside to my car. My watch says the time is too close to eight-o-clock to go home first. The best would be to rush to the venue sweaty as I am and hope for the best.

At precisely one minute after eight, I rush through the doors where our wedding rehearsal is to take place. “Sorry I’m late,” I shout as I enter the room and take in the scene before me. Doreen is sobbing, her parents are trying to console her, and my mother looks at me with daggers in her eyes. Doreen finally looks up at me, her eyes puffy and red. As I walk up to her, she shouts, “Don’t you dare touch me! The one time I wanted you to be on time you bungle it. Like you always do! I can’t do this anymore! And I don’t want to hear your excuse this time!” With that, she slips off her engagement ring and puts it on the chair beside her. I am totally stunned, speechless. Her parents scowl at me as they lead a sobbing Doreen from the room.

My younger sister, who is already happily married, hugs me and whispers in my ear. “Believe me, big brother; you are better off without that woman. I never liked her anyway. She is too demanding and high maintenance. This might very well be your lucky day.”

Her words ring in my ears. “Yes, I think you have a point, it is my lucky day.” 

September 08, 2020 20:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.