Midnight in the Library

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

21 comments

Happy Fiction Friendship

Like all things, libraries have secrets. 

It was a bright, full moon night. Stars twinkled and visible in the great city’s midnight blue sky. It was in the large children’s room of the Uptown Library, with shelves that reached the ceilings and grand staircases that spiraled up into the glass ceiling that the characters came to life. 

“Raps! Are we clear?” Robin Hood’s abnormally loud voice carried to Rapunzel’s shelf and made her jump. 

She smiled to herself and gazed longingly out the tall window which perfectly framed the moon in all her beautiful glory. The last car had pulled out of the lot at least twenty minutes ago, o0but Rapunzel had been so enamored with her book she forgot to tell everyone. “We’re clear, Robin.” Which he replied in filling the large room with his voice, announcing that the humans, the real tangible humans, weren't coming back for the night. Beneath her hundreds of characters crawled, leapt, or simply walked out of their respective books. 

In one corner of the room, where a big red rocking chair sat, story time was taking place. It was the Big Bad Wolf’s turn to read the book and he chose The Three Little Pigs, he was very good at it too. He could do impressions of the three little pigs and he made great commentary. They all laughed until their stomachs hurt and teased each other mercilessly. Little Red had joined them because over the years they each found it very difficult to not get bored so they banded together and became the best of friends. 

In a table next to them, Goldilocks and Little Bear sat playing poker. He was surprisingly good and had won three hands already. “I think you’re cheating!” Goldi announced. This happened every night and all in good fun. 

“It’s not my fault you’re so bad at playing. Your poker face is terrible.” Little Bear retorted. Goldi laughed, but when she realized he was serious and teasing her at the same time, she threw her cards in his face. 

“How about you play five pick up?” She grinned at him.

“So do you fold?” Goldi rolled her eyes. “Say it, say it!” Little Bear crawled onto the table and advanced on her. 

She rolled her eyes again. “I fold.” Little Bear cheered. 

“Oi! You two, mind quieting down? I’m trying to read!” The purple haired mermaid waved her book at them. They both gave her apologetic looks and went back to arguing, this time in whispers. 

Across the room, a fighting match was taking place. “I will best you this time, my friend!” Long John Silver crowed, jabbing his sword at the large green dragon in front of him. 

“Like you do every night, Silver?” The dragon raised a scaly green brow and blew a small stream of fire at the man. 

Long John deftly dodged the fiery breath, but his parrot, Captain Flint, flew from his perch on John’s shoulder and landed on a nearby shelf, all the while squawking, “Nope, nope, nope, nope.” 

“I bet three carrots, Emmy’s going to win.” Peter Rabbit hopped up beside Mother Goose on her shelf. He took a chomp of the carrot in his paw and pointed it at the dragon. 

“You’re on.” Mother Goose agreed, holding out her wing to Peter’s paw. They shook, or at least the best a rabbit and a goose can shake ‘hands’. “I thought you were at your long distance jumping competition.” She said. 

“It was canceled by bad weather in The Wind in the Willows.” He shrugged and took another bite of the carrot. 

By the bathrooms, two fairies and a witch argued. 

“Westy! You’re hogging the bathroom again!” Beauty whined. “We--” She gestured to Dance. “Signed up for it and you are taking all of our time. See? It’s on the sign up sheet.” 

The Wicked Witch of the West sighed and pulled her reading glasses out of her robes. “I have another--” She glanced at the clock on the North Wall. “Another thirty seven seconds. Back in a bit. I need to perfect my apple pie recipe for Queenie! We have the Villains’ Society an hour.” She attempted to close the door, but Dance flew in between the crack. 

“Do you have to do whatever you’re doing in the bathroom? Particularly this bathroom?” She flew into the witch’s green face. “And what is it with all of this smoke?” Grey clouds floated out of the door and gently filled the room with the smell of freshly baked pie. 

“Well, unless you want all of this smoke, you are complaining all over the room, I suggest you find another bathroom. Good day--night, whatever--Ladies!” She plucked Dance out of the air and threw her out the door, sending her tumbling straight into Beauty. 

“Wha--”

“C’mon Dance, she isn’t going to come out. We might as well find some other bathroom to do our Spa Day.” With that they flew off.

At the checkout station, Aurora stood checking out books to the Seven Dwarves. Dracula stood to the side, clutching a worn copy of Pride and Prejudice to his chest. “Is Snow free tonight?” He asked, his accent making the words sound like, ‘Vis Snov vree tonight?’. “I was hoping to have a dance or two.” 

“Sorry, Drac,” The dwarf at the front of the line looked apologetic. “She’s having a ladies’ night with Guinevere and I think the Little Mermaid…” 

“Oh,” Dracula frowned. He handed his book to Aurora and then smiled, “There is always tomorrow.” 

Two hours later, at midnight, a burning question was asked. “Will you honor me with this dance, Punzel, my dear?” Robin Hood held his hand out to Rapunzel. 

She considered saying no, her book was so interesting, but then he gave her his famous puppy dog eyes that she couldn’t possibly say no to. “Raps, please? Just one dance.” 

She gave him a look. “The last time you said that we were almost caught. But fine, I shall honor you with one dance. Catch me?” She pushed herself off the ledge and landed in his awaiting arms. They danced the night away, twirling and dipping in between the shelves, drunk on a happiness only love can give. Just before dawn they slipped back into their books, content smiles lighting their faces. 

So the next time you go to a library, with old dusty books and covers and characters that seem to capture your attention, remember this: the books are alive. 

April 23, 2021 20:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

19:24 May 03, 2021

Impressive. I am in love with this. Way better than mine! I do use a lot more fantasy violence, though, and we have different styles.

Reply

Alex Carmen
20:25 May 03, 2021

Thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erika Crowley
16:35 May 03, 2021

This was a fun take on the prompt! Very creative and enjoyable!

Reply

Alex Carmen
20:23 May 03, 2021

Thank you! I just read your story, The Librarian, and it was so good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ellyana Keys
14:09 May 01, 2021

This is so good. Fantastic job!

Reply

Alex Carmen
18:47 May 02, 2021

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I read the first line, and I was curious I clicked on the story. I read the first paragraph, and raised an eyebrow. I was intrigued. I went a little further, and smiled. I knew where the story was going. I like your take on the personalities of the characters, and like how you went from activity to activity so smoothly and naturally. I'm not usually one for lighter stories, but this one was an easy and fun read.

Reply

Alex Carmen
18:44 May 02, 2021

Thank you so much! I'm glad I made you smile and I'm happy you felt the personalities of the characters.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
06:25 May 01, 2021

Fantastic poem. Keep writing. Keep going.it was happy. Would you mind reading my work. “The book reader”

Reply

Alex Carmen
18:47 May 02, 2021

I just did and it was really good! Thank you for the kind words.

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:42 May 03, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ryan LmColli
14:22 May 11, 2021

Great story: Pls join this link... https://www.guilded.gg/i/6pR8goy2

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryan LmColli
14:22 May 11, 2021

Great story: Pls join this link... https://www.guilded.gg/i/6pR8goy2

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rheo Graham
14:24 May 04, 2021

Aww, Dracula wanting to read Pride and Prejudice to Snow White made me smile 😊

Reply

Alex Carmen
21:43 May 05, 2021

I'm so happy you enjoyed this! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Walinda Pollard
23:18 May 03, 2021

My eyes was bigger than the Big Bad Wolf! LOL your story was so slimular to mine. Minds do think alike. Loving it! Mysterious Guest is what I wrote. Continue to write more.

Reply

Alex Carmen
21:44 May 05, 2021

I read your story and you're right! How weird. I'm happy you enjoyed and thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
21:37 May 03, 2021

I really enjoyed your story. Thank you so much for writing it. It reminds me of a Looney Tunes cartoon that takes place in a bookstore after it's closed for the day. And I very much agree: books *are* alive. Just as libraries are alive. Anyone who says that they're dead has never opened a book for the first time and felt like they'd been pulled right into the story. Editing comments (even though it's too late to fix the online version, you can still fix the offline version): o0but Rapunzel had been so enamored ["o0but" should be "bu...

Reply

Alex Carmen
21:41 May 05, 2021

Thank you for the feedback. I'll change it on my personal document. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
22:30 May 05, 2021

You're very welcome (x2). I'll try to read more of your stories in the near future. The best thing about this website? So many stories to read, so little time to read them all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alex Carmen
20:02 Apr 23, 2021

So, it's been a while, but here's a new story. It's based on this puzzle: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-midnight-at-the-library-1000-piece-puzzle/34235098?ean=4005556819881 and I hope you enjoyed reading! Hope you have/had/are going to have a great day!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.