6 comments

Romance Mystery

Marie didn’t know this house.

The door behind her had cracks down the front, and the floorboards beneath her squeaked once she flattened her sandals against the grain. There were small dust particles floating in the sunbeams by the living room, but there wasn’t a layer of grime on any surface. It was as if someone had just come through the house with a duster, leaving little time for the remnants to settle to the floor.

Marie shut the door with her right hand and looked around for anyone to greet her. A few days ago she had received a letter in the mail requesting that she meet at this house at 3 o’clock on Friday. There had been no name attached, no mention of why she needed to come, but there was a small watermark on the bottom of the page that read RM. Marie was beginning to think she’d gone to the wrong address when she noticed the same initials carved into the wooden mantle above the fireplace in the living room. Huh, she thought just before a man in a checkered suit rounded the corner.

“So sorry to keep you waiting,” he said, walking right up to her and holding out his hand. “You’re Marie Caldwell?”

“Yes. Who are you? What’s this about?” she asked, producing the strange letter from her coat pocket instead of shaking his hand.

“My name is William Langsby.” He strode to the window and looked out. “I’m an attorney at Howard and Ryland Law, and I was asked to read Mr. Madden’s Last Will and Testament.”

“Who--”

“I know Mr. Madden may have had his own attorney appointed for such a task, but seeing as we were unable to find any records besides--”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Langsby. Who is Mr. Madden?” Marie interrupted.

“Richard Madden.” William turned around. “Madden?” Marie shrugged and William raised his eyebrows. “You mean you’ve never met him?”

“Should I have?”

“Well you’re related aren’t you? Why else would you be included in his Will?”

“I’m what?” Marie was taken aback. She had definitely never met this man or been inside his large, old house.

“Well it says it right here.” William rushed around the couch to show her the papers he held, dropping the formal tone. “Mr. Madden’s Last Will and Testament-- and your name is right here: Marie Caldwell.” He paused, “You are Marie Caldwell, right?”

“Yes! But I’ve never heard of him before. I’ve never even been to a Will reading, which is the last thing I expected to do when I got this letter in my mailbox.” She rested her hand on the sofa, and then changed her tone. “You mean to say that I’ve been given something of his?”

“According to this, yes,” William nodded. “Should I go on?”

“Is that my call to make?” Marie laughed and plopped down on the couch while the lawyer stood above her.

William cleared his throat and read. “The Last Will and Testament of Richard Thomas Madden hereby recognizes Marie Lou Caldwell as a beneficiary. In order to receive the contents bestowed, the beneficiary must be willing to complete the following tasks as requested by the deceased...”

“Tasks?” Marie asked herself-- not loud enough for William to hear.

“...Then and only then will the earnings be allowed to impart to the beneficiary. If the beneficiary refuses to engage in the enclosed tasks, all assets of the deceased will be voided to give away, and go defaultly to the state.” He took a breath. “These are the tasks which the beneficiary must complete: See the world from 5000 feet.”

“What?” Marie sat up a little, looking at William.

“I have no idea. That’s what it says.” He shook his head. “I’ve never seen a Will like this.”

“Can he really do that? Withhold stuff from me until I do what he asks?”

“Yeah. No one ever has, but everything is up to the deceased.” William scratched his head. “There’s more: Should the beneficiary complete the tasks, and present credible testimony of having done so, they will be allowed to assume all assets bestowed.” His eyes skimmed the rest of the paper. “After that it continues into specifications.”

“So if I want to get whatever this man left me-- assuming he did mean to leave it to me and this isn’t a mistake-- I have to do what, again?” She couldn’t keep her hands from shaking a little.

“See the world from 5000 feet,” William read, while Marie stared blankly at the wall. “The notes don’t specify.”

“This is crazy. This guy is crazy. I don’t even know him and he wants me to do something for him so I can get some random coffee table or lamp or something from his collection? I mean, what do his kids have to do for the house?” she joked before standing up.

“Oh, no, Ms. Caldwell. I guess I didn’t make that clear… The Will isn’t addressed to anyone else.” Marie could barely register what he was saying. “You’re the sole beneficiary of Mr. Madden’s estate.”

~~~

I have to do it, don’t I? Marie thought, while washing the dishes in her kitchen sink later that night. She lived alone in a small apartment in New Hampshire. The drive back from the house had only been a few minutes, but it felt miles away.

A plate slipped from her hands, back into the soapy water, and Marie slammed her fist onto the counter. “I have to!” Bubbles flew up and stuck to the window she could see her reflection in. “I mean… He left the money for me.”

Suddenly Marie was getting a phone call. She quickly wiped her hands and answered it. “Hello?”

“Hi, Marie?” It was the lawyer.

“Yes! Mr-- uh--” Marie stuttered.

“Langsby. But call me Will. Listen, I’ve got an idea about how to collect on the estate.”

“Okay,” she smiled, deciding this had to mean she was supposed to do it.

“Well first I was thinking you could take Mr. Madden’s private plane, but then again the document did say you’d have to see the world from 5000 feet. Wouldn’t really see much but clouds from that height,” he laughed. Marie grinned, anxious yet excited. “So I did some research, and I found out that hot air balloons go to that height. He’s asking for a bit above average, but a balloon will be able to do it.” Will paused, waiting for her response. “...Maria?”

“Oh-- Yeah, that-- that sounds good.”

“Are you okay with that?” There was a pause as he listened intently. “I can think of something else--

“No, it’s okay. It’s just that I’m pretty scared of heights. Like, really… Terrified.” She ran her fingers through her hair.

“Hey, we’ll be able to do it,” Will said, thinking to himself: What kind of guy demands this as his dying wish? “This is the best way that I can think of.”

“Mm hmm. I know.” Marie rubbed her temples and then added, “Hold on. Did you say ‘we’? As in you’re coming with me?”

“The Will said it needed credible testimony. And I-- being the reader of the Will and a lawyer-- thought it made the most sense for me to come along. Plus, it’ll help the both of us. I need time off work and you need help conquering this fear!’

“Oh no, there is no conquering,” she told him.

“We’ll see about that. I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning.” And before Marie could answer, he’d hung up.

~~~

“Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Seriously, don’t look down, Marie.” Will was holding her hand-- well, more like she was clutching his-- as they began to lift off the ground. She hadn’t known what to expect when Will had hung up on her last night, but Marie definitely didn’t think they’d be going this far. A plane flight and a taxi cab ride had taken them all the way to New Mexico where the Albuquerque Balloon Festival was taking place. Will had taken care of everything: The plane tickets, the navigating, and the balloon itself. (This being a festival, they had to pay extra to rent one.)

Still, Marie didn’t quite know why he was here with her. Sure the Will and Testament had said something about a testimony, but he didn’t have to solve the mystery of the 5000 feet for her. Not to mention, all the fees it had taken to get here! Marie felt like she could throw up from that alone. She made a mental note to pay him back once she got the estate, and wondered if he was this way with all his client’s beneficiaries.

“Will, I don’t even plan on opening my eyes.” Marie laughed through clenched teeth.

“Well, you have to at some point.” Will squeezed her hand. “But I guess you can close them until we reach 5000 feet.” She nodded.

The balloon was already high enough for them to feel a chilling wind. Marie bit down on her tongue and tried not to focus on the loop-de loops her stomach was doing. Will sucked in a breath and couldn’t help but smile. There was no better way to get out of the office, especially since he had such a beautiful girl’s hand in his. He gazed at her for a moment, watching strands of her dark hair getting blown back and forth until the wind settled into a gentle breeze.

“Can I ask you something?” Marie used her other hand to brush her hair behind her ear.

“Sure.” Will shifted closer.

“Do you do this kind of stuff a lot?” She still had her eyes shut, but her muscles were beginning to loosen.

“I used to.” He tapped his fingers on the basket edge. “Not so much now.”

“Why?”

“Work. Meetings running late. Trying to make partner at the firm. You know: Life.” Will shifted his weight, causing the balloon to move a bit more than he anticipated.

“Oh jeez!” Marie stumbled.

“Sorry!” He took her other arm and she opened her eyes. “Gotcha,” he said softly. They were close enough that Marie could look at Will without seeing too much sky. “Just keep your eyes on me and you’ll be fine.”

She nodded. “Okay. So you used to do this stuff?”

“Yeah. Yeah I did.” I guess my favorite was skydiving.”

“Skydiving?” Marie allowed herself to loosen the grip around Will’s torso she’d fallen into. She slid her hands more comfortably into his.

“Yup,” he chuckled. “It’s for the rush, you know?”

“Not really,” she smiled.

“Right. Okay.” Will started lightly swaying their arms back and forth, concentrating on keeping their balances. “Well my friends and I used to save up for jumps. We would go every St. Patrick’s Day.”

“St. Patrick’s Day?”

“Yeah! Because it’s not a big holiday, and it’s right after coming down from the high of the fun ones. St. Patrick’s Day... It needs skydiving!” He swung their arms up in exclamation and Marie laughed. Then his eyes glanced to the left. “Oh wow.”

“What?” And before she knew it, Marie was gazing into a sea of colors.

They were like fire. Bright, bulging, yellow centers bordered by diamonds of checkered reds; the whole thing set against a brilliant blue sky. The teardrop-shaped balloons drifted up-- the opposite way tears would stream-- and clumped together in one section of clouds, creating a rainbow of human design. There was glowing sunshine above them, and great flat plains below them. It was more beautiful than Will could’ve anticipated, and he hoped Marie was as awestruck as he was.

“I see why it had to be 5000 feet.” Marie let her right hand go of Will’s and rested it on the balloon basket, daring to get an inch closer to the edge.

“Why is that?” He followed her gaze straight out over the mountains and beyond.

“Because if it was anything lower you’d feel attached. But if it was anything higher you’d become helpless. Right here…” She searched for the words, “...You feel both in and out of control. Like I don’t want to go back to the ground just yet, but I think when we do, it will be easy.” She completed her thought and looked at Will.

“I feel like all my worries are gone up here,” he said. “It’s the same as skydiving because I don’t have to think about anything besides how I’m in the air.” Will met Marie’s gaze. “Don’t get me wrong though, it’s definitely calmer than skydiving. It’s nice.”

“It is.” She took a peek at the ground.

“Whoa, you okay?”

“Yeah.” Marie bit her lip. “I just wanted to see if my perspective had changed… I’m not that scared anymore. It’s crazy how being up really high is better than being on a ladder or something,” she joked.

“Ladders? Really?” Will laughed.

“Yeah, really!” Marie beamed with delight. “It’s seriously not good. I never get to put up Christmas lights.”

“Jeez! Ha ha!” The sun was starting to go down and illuminated the far sides of the balloons with gold. The side facing them lit up with deep pinks and oranges. “Okay, then I have to ask: Why did you agree to go here? If you really don’t know Richard Madden, why did you risk this?”

“Fair enough. I didn’t think I could do it. But I had decided last night to do what it takes to get the money, and then you called. You already had everything planned. I couldn’t say no.”

“You could’ve said no.” Will shrugged.

“Would you have? If you stood to gain a family’s entire fortune and only had one thing standing in the way, wouldn’t you do that thing?” she questioned, gesturing out.

“Well I’m not scared of heights so yeah,” he mocked.

“You know what I mean!” Marie laughed and shoved him, but he pulled her back by her hand so she was looking straight into his eyes.

“Yes. I would do it,” he whispered softly, a gentle wind threatening to carry his words away.

Marie couldn’t help forgetting how high up they were. Instead she got lost in Will’s eyes, as blue as the sky around them. She now knew why he’d come with her, but for fun she found herself asking, “Do you treat all your client’s this way?”

“What? No!” She’d thrown him off with that.

“I’m kidding.” Marie stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. Will smiled and then they both faced the balloons again, the sun having almost disappeared. “Seriously though, are we at 5000 feet yet?”

“I think we’re close enough.” Will nodded. “I will be your ‘credible source’ if you let me take us now.” He looked at the mountains which had the last bits of sunshine fading behind them, and then added sarcastically, “Before we both freeze.”

“Oh yes please.” Marie let go of him so he could tend to the balloon. “Does this mean I can collect on the estate?”

“That it does. If you promise to have dinner with me.”

“Deal.” She blushed and leaned out over the darkened pastures. “But you didn’t need to get us to 5000 feet for me to say that.”

December 19, 2020 02:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

06:12 Dec 30, 2020

This is a lovely story. I have a suggestion. You might want to elude to their attraction to each other when they first meet. They are falling for each other in the balloon but it seems kind of sudden. I liked the visuals you made during the balloon ride. I could imagine what it would be like.

Reply

Bailey Floyd
04:00 Jan 03, 2021

Thanks so much! Great idea! I got a bit carried away with dialogue in the beginning and should've introduced some chemistry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bailey Floyd
04:00 Jan 03, 2021

Thanks so much! Great idea! I got a bit carried away with dialogue in the beginning and should've introduced some chemistry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bailey Floyd
04:00 Jan 03, 2021

Thanks so much! Great idea! I got a bit carried away with dialogue in the beginning and should've introduced some chemistry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.