Love, Loss and Letters

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story in the form of a series of thank you cards.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

Mom,

Thanks for all the help in the operating room today. I know my husband can be a bit of a lightweight when it comes to blood and other assorted bodily fluids. Thank you for keeping me calm in the utmost vulnerability, and not taking advantage of or  using that time against me. Today was a day I won’t ever forget and I'm sure I won’t let my husband forget or live this situation down either. He’s sad he missed the birth, but I'm sure he’s somewhat secretly glad at the same time. Either way, both of us are ecstatic to welcome our daughterMichaela to the world. 

Thanks again mom,

Your daughter, Rosa Stonecross

Mom,

Thank you so much for helping plan Michaela’s second birthday party. Things have gotten hard since Stan left us but you have been a shining light within the darkness for us. Money’s been tight too and your creativity has helped us stretch it a long way. If you ever need a favor, we owe you one for sure. Thank you so much for your support

Your Daughter, Rosa

Grandma thanks for letting me stay the night tonight

-Michaela

Sweetie, thank you for coming over. All the other grandkids think they’re too old to hang out with your grandma these days. I hope you never change in that way but I won't hold my breath.

-Grandma

Grandma thanks for coming to my band recital tonight - Michaela

Michaela Stonecross thank you for being such a big part of the fifth grade band this year. I got to have the pleasure of watching you develop from a complete beginner to a student who is well on her way to perform on our symphonic bands in a higher level someday. You possess a lot of raw, natural talent, young lady and I am itching to see where that talent takes you. Keep practicing over the summer.

Steven Dromless

Band Director, MPA Public Schools

Thanks for being a great friend Michaela, HAGS! ;) -Janet

Hey Michaela, this is Jordan from band class. Janet gave me your number. Thanks for helping me out in band class this past week. Would you wanna hang out sometime?

Dear Aunt Theresa,

Thank you again for coming to my graduation party this year, it really meant a lot for you to drive out of state to see me. Especially with my grandma passing away recently it’s nice to have a supportive familial face there. 

-Michaela

Michaela,

Sweet girl it was truly my pleasure to drive, no distance is ever too far to see my favorite niece <3. Once again congratulations, high school completion is no joke especially where we come from. I know you don’t want to make a big deal out of it, but this is a major life milestone for you, and I wanted to make that day unforgettable. Good luck at college in the fall, I'll be rooting for you from afar. Hopefully I can come to visit for Christmas this year.

-Your favorite auntie

Hey mom, going out tonight. Thanks for being the greatest.

-Ur fav daughter

Hey mom, sorry things got out of hand last night but I'm glad you’re always there for me -Michaela

Mrs. Stonecross

Thank you for reaching out to us with your resume. I had myself and our HR department look over it, and we are looking to bring you onto the team. I’d like a short interview if you are interested, but you are almost guaranteed the position so no need to stress about it. 

Zachary Case

Business Manager Techcorp

Zachary

Thanks for getting back to me! What time works best for you guys on that interview?

Michaela Stonecross

Janet,

Thanks for talking to your friend that works at Techorp. I think I've got the job on lock.

-Michaela

Michaela thx 4 holding my hair back 2nite bby -Ur bestie Janet

Dearest Michaela, 

Thanks for the greatest night ever, here’s some flowers I picked up for you on my way to work. They made me think of what you said last night. Enjoy!

-Sean

Sean,

Thanks for the flowers but I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. I think we would be better off as friends.

-Michaela

Michaela,

Thanks for coming out to the wedding this past weekend girl, having you as my Maid of Honor was the best decision I could have ever made. Just remember that nobody finds out anything about what happened at my Bachelorette Party. That information stays between me, you, the girls and that man in the firefighting costume who’s pole I wanted to ride ;). Anyways maybe i’ll have the chance to repay the favor one day? No rush, you’ve always been an independent gal at heart, and I respect that. 

Love you lots, Janet Tashion-Filter

Michaela Stonecross,

Thank you for your unwavering intelligence, dedication and strength this past year. You have led the pack in sales for the past four years but you continue to outdo yourself each time. 

Zachary Case

Business Manager Techcorp

Dr. Case,

Thank you for the opportunity but I would like to politely decline. I enjoy what I do enough, and the time dedication with this new position wouldn’t let me do the things that I love to do. This year I am going to be a teaching assistant with an old friend starting in the fall, and that is something I am not willing to give up. Apologies for keeping it brief, but I hope you can understand my concern and my situation.

Michaela Stonecross

Sales Representative Techcorp

Mrs. Stonecross 

I never thought I would be writing this, but I suppose I should be thanking my lucky stars. Thank you for a very successful year teaching with me this past season. Twenty years ago when I first had you in class I would have never 

Truth be told, I am getting very old, older every day. There isn’t much steam left in the tank for me, and this year with all the craziness has shown me I'm slowing down to a point where it’s hard for me to hang with the younger kids now. You have shown me that you are more than capable to take the throne next, and whenever you are ready I would be happy to retire and let you take over as soon as possible.

Steven Dromless

Band Director, MPA Public Schools

Dr. Case

Unfortunately I have to put in my resignation notice for the end of the summer, the last week I will be able to work is August 12. Thank you for these past five years at the company. I have grown as an individual, and without this job I don’t know where I would be. However this job is not my true passion, and I have the opportunity of a lifetime to grab control of my life again and do what I enjoy.

Michaela Stonecross

Sales Representative Techcorp

Mrs. Stonecross,

Thank you for the notice, I'll get that down to HR as soon as possible. Thanks for being a part of the company and I wish you nothing but the best for the future.

Mr. Dromless,

I’d happily accept your invitation to take on the band program. Thank you for the offer. I am very excited to begin work.

-Michaela

Connor,

Thanks for last night, I was celebrating and you made it really special

-Michaela

Janet,

Thanks for helping me with my mom’s funeral. I know we haven’t talked much in a while, but having you there reminded me of old times. If you want to go get drinks sometime let me know. 

-Michaela

Michaela

I don’t know where to start. I’m so sorry it had to end this way. It’s been years since your death but I still feel guilty for letting you leave the bar like that. I should have known you weren’t good enough to drive in your condition. Seeing you in an emotional wreck broke me a little bit, and I didn’t want to intervene but not a day goes by where I don’t think about what happened to you. I know we weren’t the closest in your final years but having you as a best friend changed my life.

REST IN PEACE MICHAELA

-janet

July 29, 2024 10:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.