Princess Nala

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

2 comments

Black People of Color Sad

In ten days, she will become queen. In ten days, she will take her life. Over the ten days, they will find out why.

“Princess Nala, what do you think about this one?” She looked away from the clock ticking away and adverted her gaze to the reflection of herself in the mirror.

There she stood with the green and orange dress well fitted on her petite body.

She could care less what dress she wore. After all, it was not as if they were going to see her walk down the aisle with the dress on.

With one small smile, she nodded. “I love it, you truly outdid yourself.”

The dressmaker face burned red with the compliment. “Thank you so much, Princess Nala.” She smiled as she squeezed the Princess’ shoulders.

The first day was filled with making the necessary adjustments of the crown, shoes, and all she had to wear for the coronation.

~.~

The next seven days went by quick. In three days, she would be Queen. The future heir to the throne was to take position as the leader of the country a month after their 22nd birthday. The day she had always dreaded was soon approaching.

“Nala! Are you listening to me?” Her fork moved around the various food placed on her plate.

“Nala!” He was furious now. If he were of a lighter tone, his face would no doubt have turned the colour of a tomato.

“Yes, my king.” She looked up to her father, who sat across her. Across the huge dining table, that was only filled with him and her.

She watched the empty seats which wear accompanied with empty golden plates and utensils.

Her life was like the dinner table. Rich and golden but empty during most the hours of the day and only used whenever needed.

They would never understand how depressed she could be. How could the future queen, ever be depressed? She after all had everything everyone dreamt off. They could never understand.

Being the princess did not fill the void of emptiness she felt every single moment of her life.

No one to call a friend. No one to call a sister. No one to call a brother. No one to call a mother. Just one ruthless king to call a father.

“I asked if you have spoken to your future husband?” Princess Nala chuckled at what he had asked.

“I am not going to marry him.” She simply stated. He could call him her husband all he wanted but she knew that if he were to marry her, he would be marrying her lifeless body.

“The wedding will be one day after you are crowned Queen of Inkululeko.” He was good at it. Good at ignoring anything and everything she said.

After all, he was okay with the thought of marrying her only daughter to a man who was known for being cruel and beating up women.

The king who sat before her. The man she called her father, did not love her. If he truly did, he would do everything in his power to make sure she never married a man who would leave her bruised every night.

“He will be here tomorrow, to take you on a walk around the garden.” He continued as he drank his cold beverage.

~.~

“Prince Ekon has arrived, he is awaiting your presence in the garden.” One of the maids informed Princess Nala. She left her bedroom and ascended down the stairs to see him.

There he stood.

He was a handsome man. He had dark skin and the most beautiful curls to ever be placed on such a horrible man.

“You took your time.” He said once she bowed to him.

“My apologies, Prince Ekon.”

He waved his hand in a dismissive manner. “No need to apologize, it will not bring the time that was wasted.”

She gritted her teeth. She truly hated him, more than her father. Her father never raised a hand on her, raised his voice sure but never a hand.

While the man she was meant to marry found an amusing habit to raise a hand to her face and at time choke her to serve as warning – that she was only alive because he willed it.

“How do you feel about me being your future husband.” He asked as they began to walk through the garden.

He knew how she felt about the whole arrangement. He just found joy in reminding her that she had no choice in the matter.

Before she could stop the words from escaping her lips, she said, “I hate it and I hate you.”

It did not take too long before the powerful blow was felt on the left side of her cheek. A small gasp escaped one of the workers who worked nearby.

“What did you say to me?!” He yelled.

She swallowed the blood that filled her mouth and said, “I am excited to be your wife.”

A small smile peaked on his face. He knew the power he had over her.

Her eyes began to cloud with unreleased tears as they both made their way around the garden. No sooner did the walk around the garden come to an end.

There stood her father, waiting for them.

Her father looked at her face. He noticed the slight bruise that had formed on her face. “You should go get that covered, you look hideous.”

One small tear escaped her left eye. One lone tear. One last tear.

She was not weak; she was tired and all she needed was one peaceful sleep. She wanted to sleep for all eternity, was that so bad? When her whole life was filled with nothing but agony.

~.~

Today was the 10th day.

Ever since she was young, she knew she was living a life that was written way before she could ever speak her first word. A life planned out like a story. A story that could not be changed. A story that had to follow a particular structure. A story fit for a miserable future Queen.

She looked at the dress that was placed on the mannequin. It truly was a dress made for a future queen. The future dead queen. It would be symbolic to put it on…there she had decided that she would be found dead wearing it.

She took of her silky pyjamas, neatly folded it, and placed it on the bed. There she stood naked as the day she was born. She walked closer to the dress, took it off the mannequin and placed the dress on her.

A smile appeared on her face. The first true smile that was ever placed on her face. It was time. It was time where she could finally just relax and no longer think about what the next chapter of her book beheld.

There was no more chapter, this was the last and final chapter.

She took the pill that she had bought when they once went to the market. It was truly a miracle that she was never caught buying this. It was almost as if God was making it easier for her to finally rest in peace.

She said a slight prayer and swallowed the pill. It would not be long now. It was almost time.

There she laid in peace. Finally. Her eyes slowly falling shut, her body falling limp and with one shallow intake of breath.

She was dead.

Short lived the queen. Indeed, her story has finally come to an end.

December 30, 2020 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

06:24 Jan 07, 2021

Good Story. I think you could improve your punctuation but then I am one to talk!!

Reply

Morufa Raji
11:06 Jan 07, 2021

Thanks for the honest criticism! Will work on it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.