0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

Adam Wilson flagged down a taxi and climbed into the back seat.

"Take me to the 500 Race Track, please. Adam glanced at the card with the driver's name, "Joe."

"This must be your first time to visit the Speedway."

"How did you know?"

"Because the track is closed. There won't be a race for a couple more months."

"I didn't know that, but it's fine; I'm not here to see the race."

"You came for the museum then. It's fantastic; you can't imagine all the vintage cars there. I've been several times and never get tired of going."

"The museum sounds nice, but I'm here for a friend," Adam said.

"So, you're meeting someone?"

"My friend always wanted to see the 500-mile race, but he passed last week before he had a chance, so I promised I would come for him."

"That's great you're doing this for a friend, but this isn't the race."

"I think Bill Will understand."

"There's nothing like watching thirty-three cars race around the two-and-a-half-mile oval for two hundred laps."

Joe pulls the cab over, "Here it is: the Indy 500. Go through that gate, and the museum is inside the track between the first and second turns."

Adam followed the cab driver's directions and paid his fifteen-dollar entrance fee. The entire inside of the white building was filled with race cars from several eras as well as memorabilia of the era. As he stood awestruck at the spectacle before him, a familiar figure on the other side of the room caught his eye.

The figure moved through the crowded room, so Adam could not get a good look. Finally, Adam cut through the A. J, Foyt exhibit, and they met.

Adam gasped, "Bill!"

"Hey, buddy! Isn't this the coolest place?"

"What---how---?"

"I was hoping to see the race, but this is extraordinary. Don't you think?"

"I don't understand. I was at your funeral."

"It was great, wasn't it? I didn't know I had so many friends, especially from the office. I expected Jack and Slim to come because we always ate lunch together, but everyone showed up. I was touched."

"How can you be here when we buried you?"

"Come over here; I want you to see this." Bill dances over to a display of several old race cars. "This, my friend, is a nineteen twenty-two Duesenberg, and beside it is 1938 Maserati. OH!"

Bill practically skipped to the car at the end.

"Look at this baby! Do you know what it is?"

Adam shrugged his shoulders.

"This is the first car to win the Indianapolis 500; a six-cylinder 1911 Marmon Wasp."

Seeing Bill moon over the car reminded Adam of his six-year-old son on his birthday. He had never seen his friend so happy. Adam wandered to the Borg-Warner Trophy, a one-hundred-ten pound prize given to each winner of the 500 with his likeness sculpted in silver.

A hand lands on Adam's shoulder, "Adam!"

The startled man jumps back as he turns around.

"Ester!"

The dark-haired woman smiles at the look on her friend's face. "I didn't know you went in for race cars. You never mentioned it."

"I don't really, but I must admit these are fascinating."

"What are you doing at a race car museum then?"

"My friend, Bill, always wanted to come to the race but never got the chance, so I made a promise to come for him."

"That's right, someone said you wouldn't be in the office for a few days because your friend died. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Don't be sorry because Bill's fine; he's here with me."

"So, you didn't go to a funeral?"

"Yes. I did go to Bill's funeral, but he's not dead."

Ester raises her eyebrows and stares at Adam.

"It's difficult to explain. You see, I went to his funeral, and I thought he was dead. So, I promised him I would come to the Indy 500 race for him. I only found out the race was in May. The cab driver, Joe, told me about this museum, and when I came in, I saw Bill here. Needless to say, I was surprised."

"OK," Ester said. She continues to stare at Adam. "How did he explain about the funeral?"

"He, uh, didn't."

"You didn't ask him, did you?"

"Yes, of course I did. But he didn't answer."

"I think that was a dirty trick to play on your best friend."

"I don't think it was a trick. Bill isn't like that."

"If it wasn't a trick," Ester said. "Then what do you think it was?"

"I--I don't know."

"If he's here, why don't we ask him?"

"Alright, come on, he's over by those cars."

Adam and Ester returned to the Wasp, but Bill was nowhere in sight.

Adam said, "He was excited to see these cars. He went on and on about them. He must be here somewhere."

The two comrades searched for the missing Bill but ate an hour and had no luck; Ester said, "I'm sorry, Adam. Your friend was probably embarrassed about getting caught in a lie and left. When you see him again, you should kick his butt."

Ester rejoins her group, and they wander off, leaving Adam standing in the center of the room. Slowly, Adam heads for the exit. As he passes a nineteen forty-eight Watson, he spots Bill sitting in the driver's seat.

"What are you doing? I'm sure they don't allow anyone to sit in their cars."

"I need to tell you something," Bill said.

"Yeah, I need to tell you something too, but get out of there first."

Bill climbs out of the car. "I want to explain everything to you."

Adam asked, "How could you do this to me? I thought you were dead. That's the only reason I'm here; I came for you. As much as your death hurt me, finding out it was only a lie hurt more. No friend would play a trick like this."

Bill took a step closer to Adam. "It's not a trick."

"You're saying that you're dead?"

"When I asked you to come here, I didn't know I could come for myself. I can go anywhere I want just by thinking about it. I don't know how long it will last, but I intend to take advantage of it."

"Do you expect me to believe that crap?"

"Come on, we've been friends a long time. You know I wouldn't play such a dirty trick on you."

"I thought I did; now, I don't know."

Bill looks at his friend. "I guess I don't have as much time as I thought. Do you see the light behind me?"

"What light?"

"Adam, you're the best friend anyone could have. Don't ever change."

Bill turns around and fades out of sight.

THE END

October 20, 2023 04:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.