4 comments

General

Your palms get sweaty as you stand in front of what you think of as your temporary enemy. You waited all this time, and you knew there was no going back now. "Just say it," you repeated the words to yourself, becoming angry with the words. They are sitting in front of you, waiting for what you had to say next.


They sit in their chair impatiently for another moment as you struggle to force the words out of your mouth until they're out of their seat, headed for the door. "This isn't worth my time right now," they say to you as they walk away, leaving you alone with that wretched feeling in your stomach. "Great, now I'll never get the chance. You blew it just like you always do." You didn't know what to do. You couldn't chase after them knowing they would most likely ignore you and focus on whatever it was that was more important than what you had to say.


"Did you tell them?" You knew that voice well enough to know who it was. "They had to go do something more important," it sounds like lies even though it’s the truth. You know that your friend isn't going to believe that. "Didn't that happen last time you tried to tell them?" You roll your eyes at their words, "yes, but this time, it’s actually true."


They sigh, making it obvious that they are disappointed in your struggle to tell them. “If you take any longer, it might be too late. So, if you don’t tell them soon, then I’m telling them. You laugh in response, “I would love to see you try to tell anyone a thing.” They look at you with a dead serious look. “This isn’t a joke! I will tell them if it comes down to it, and god so help me if I have-“


“Okay, okay. I get it, okay? No need to explain. I’ll tell them, I promise.” They look at you and then huff, “fine. I’ll trust that you’ll tell them this time.” The problem is, you don’t know if you can keep that promise. Who knows how they’ll react to what you have to say. Maybe you’ve worked so hard to build up your relationship with them. Maybe this would risk whatever relationship you had with them. Maybe it's the relationship that you don’t want to ruin. Whatever the reason you have for not wanting to tell them, you haven’t. You know you need to tell them. You want to tell them, but maybe you don’t know-how. Why is this so hard? You want them to find out through you, but you can’t explain it to them. You must tell them before its too late. But not at this moment. There was no way you were going to tell them now. Not a single chance. They wouldn’t listen to you even if you told them.


“In the meantime, why don’t we go somewhere while just the two of us. I mean, we both know that once they are busy with one thing, more things somehow pop up on their radar.” You nod, knowing their right. You heard your stomach growl loud enough for both of you to hear, making you both laugh. “I think we should maybe try to go eat somewhere before anything else,” they say to you as you hop out of the chair you must have been sitting in for way too long. “Yeah, no kidding,” you both head out of the room, and towards the front door, grabbing your keys on the way out of the door.


“Where should we go then?” You lock the door behind you as you leave, making sure the spare key was in its right place. “I’ve been feeling some Five Guys lately,” they look at you as if to beg with their eyes instead of with their mouth. You're about to suggest a different place until you suddenly give in, “fine, but you're paying this time. And I already know you didn’t forget your wallet, so don’t try that this time.” They grinned, “you know me too well. It's kind of scary.” You give them an eye-roll as you both get into the car, closing the car doors behind you. “I know, it’s not like I’ve known you for most of my life,” you say sarcastically, cranking up your car with the keys and changing the gear, pulling out of the driveway.


You drive the speed limit, wanting to get to Five Guys as fast as you possibly could, your stomach was louder than ever. You hear the words stop being repeated over and over again, getting louder each time you hear the word. You're about to question why they wanted you to stop until you notice a white car flying towards you at full speed, seeming unaware of your vehicle ahead of them.


Out of instinct, you turn to get out of the car’s way. The road borders became larger as you drove off of the road and into a ditch, the car tumbling all the way down, flipping over and over repeatedly until you blackout from the impact, making the world seem to stop with a high ringing in your ear.


A white room surrounds you as you open your eyes. It burns so much to open them, but you fight through the pain to get a good look at where in the world you could be. A memory of the car accident came crashing in. How long ago was the accident? Hours? Days? Weeks? As if to answer your silent questions, a voice speaks up. “Oh my god! You're awake! After three days, you're finally awake!”


“Three days?” You manage to croak the words as you make an attempt to sit up. The pain hits you like never before, causing you to slump back down onto the bed. “Where am I?” Your voice seemed so weak, and it hurt to speak to the point that doing so seemed to set your throat on fire. The voice spoke up once again as you realized who was with you. “You’re in the hospital. You had this huge car accident and were driven-“


“I remember it, you don’t need to explain.” You pause for a second and hear them take a breath as if they are about to say something else, but you stop them dead in their tracks. “You might want to take a seat if you're not already sitting. There is something I’ve been meaning to tell you.”

June 24, 2020 05:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Tvisha Yerra
15:54 Jun 24, 2020

Love the story, and the bio! Just a quick suggestion, you probably shouldn't mention your age, this is the internet after all! ;) And one more thing, whenever a new character speaks, make a new paragraph. Good luck!

Reply

Carly Clarissa
19:57 Jun 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and for the feedback. I am very grateful for the tips and I don't have a clue why I put my age on there in the first place. I will be sure to work on all of those things.

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
20:46 Jun 24, 2020

Looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carly Clarissa
05:37 Jun 24, 2020

Any feedback, questions, or comments are appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.