Vim of Verisimilitude

Submitted into Contest #252 in response to: Write about a character who struggles to do the right thing. ... view prompt

30 comments

Suspense Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

If Marcus Boddy knew it was going to be his last day on earth, he wouldn’t have drank so much.

The dark room spun with alcohol-induced vertigo as he lay in the pillowy soft bed, enveloped in the plaid-patterned quilt. He shook his head back and forth, but the stitched, frilled edges still rubbed against his face.  He grimaced, soft beds always wrecked his back.

Everything was wrong, off track. He had to make a decision, but he couldn’t think straight.

He fought through the fog in his head; something important happened earlier, he had a lingering feeling of fear, but couldn’t remember why.

A noise outside, a scraping at the door to the patio, sparked his attention. A movement past the dark glass caught his breath. He stared, not breathing, until his stomach twisted, he gritted his teeth against his need to throw up.

In the large, ground floor room at the hotel in Downtown Santa Barbara,  Marcus breathed out a toxic miasma of alcohol and chicken tacos.  He lifted his head up off the bed to look down at himself.  His faded polo shirt rode up on his distended belly, somehow he tore his jeans, and he still wore his New Balance shoes.  Too many tequila shots. He is too old for tequila shots.

He wanted to remember this reunion, planned for months. A visit with Jon, his college roommate from 30 years ago, and Jon’s new wife Katie.  Telling stories and laughing just like they were 20 again,  the world filled with possibility and theirs for the taking.  Back when life was easy, and he hadn’t made all the wrong choices.

Marcus liked Katie, she seemed to understand the life of a writer, asking about market share of the mystery genre, common poisons, even about how he came up with his ideas. He lied about that of course.

Few people ever wanted to talk about writing, so he rambled on and on, her bright blues eyes open to his every word. It helped that she looked like she stepped straight out of a Vogue magazine, her simple dress hugging every curve, impossibly beautiful.

Marcus couldn't believe Jon would even meet up with him and then he seemed to have a good time. Jon the tech titan, rich beyond imagination and had a ‘thought leader’ for the AI transition. 

Jon always had thoughts Marcus remembered, back in college they spent long nights when Jon poured out ideas as generously as the cheap wine, each one more ridiculous than the next.  Most were dumb, some illegal and a few, just one or two, awesome.  One idea, a revolution at the time, changed how businesses could sell products online, igniting the company that rocketed him to financial and personal success.  The other idea, well Marcus wished he didn’t know that one, a secret life on the underside of polite society.  But, secrets had become his stock in trade.

“Are you still into the furries, cosplay?” Marcus asked, as an aside. “I still remember that one party, years ago, on your yacht. That was a wild night." He shook his head with a smile. "That pink Sexy Fox, she haunts my dreams.”

He stood in Jon’s hotel room, the poolside suite had several huge bouquets of flowers perfuming the air, vibrant colors reflecting off the many mirrors.

Jon’s eyes bored holes into Marcus, his lips a solid line, demarcating ‘Do Not Cross’.

“What the hell? No, we don’t talk about-” Jon’s eyes flashed to the door, just as Katie burst in, her hands full of glasses, and a large glass bottle.

“Champagne! “ Katie shouted, twisting. The cork popped with a crack. “You’re new book is almost ready! We need to celebrate!”

With just enthusiasm, confidence, and intrepid naivety, Marcus set off to write the Great American Novel at 22. And then proceeded to fail over, and over again. He spent years wandering at the bottom of beer bottles, among needles and through dark alleys, finding work selling cars, then in a factory, even trying to write porn scripts, failing at that too. He couldn’t come up with enough synonyms for ‘moist’.

Desperation, hunger and hard won wisdom at 32 made him turn to write what he could sell.  Now he’s stuck, turning out junk, pulp fictions full of artificial sweeteners and empty calories to fill the shelves of airport newsstands next to the candy bars and  potato chips.  How important is another mystery in the world?

The next novel will sell well, his publishing house has promised that. But if the price he has to pay is too high, is it even worth it?  

Marcus wished he didn’t have to do it, that he could write a story from his own creativity.   But mining the depths of his family and friends’ most intimate secrets added a secret sauce, flavoring his stories with the ‘vim of verisimilitude’ as his editor said. 

Which was why no one would talk to him, except for Jon, a friend from so long ago. What this latest novel exposes though, Jon’s proclivities, will ruin his reputation and his marriage; and worse explode this friendship

What will be exposed in the new book will destroy him.  Marcus editor’s rationalization, ‘Jon made a choice, and knew the consequences’  rolled through his head, a coin spinning down a drain pipe.

Marcus clenched his fists, hugged his stomach.

What was so important that happened today?  The room moved in a dizzy spiral. Marcus’ eyes popped open in the dark, remembering.  That word Jon had used, did that mean he knew, his terrible secret will be exposed? 

 Marcus jerked at a noise, a latch clicked open. He sat up, fighting against the soft bed, to lean on his elbow. He squinted into the dark room, looking for something, anything to prove the noise had been real. He squinted into the dim light, the door stood closed.  Locked too, as Marcus had checked it twice. For a storyteller who exposes secrets, he could never be too secure, paranoia was a valuable and needed friend. 

The death threats had flooded his emails and social media accounts for years, though none had ever turned real.   But the one last week, directed to his private number, worried him, someone new too much. Could it be Jon?

A creak in the floorboards from the other side of the room, near the glass door overlooking the patio.  Marcus blinked into the dark room, looking for something, anything. He felt a breeze on his face, it blew against the shadows, whirling them. The fresh air felt good against his hot, flushed skin.  Too much to drink, his eyes couldn’t focus to pierce the darkness.  “Someone there?”

Silence the only response, Marcus fell back, embraced in the pillowy bed. Only his muddled brain confused was playing tricks on him.

Marcus himself has made bad choices, cheated on each of his wives, stole money to get his next drug fix, he was no better than anyone else. But his readers loved it when successful men were taken down a notch, their base desires made public. And once the connection was made, the thinly veiled character, Jon’s secret will be exposed.

Could he pull the book?

Marcus would have to return the advance, already spent on the convertible Porsche parked outside.

Was their friendship worth it? Marcus felt the room whirl again, a dull pain throbbing in his skull. He had no other friends, no one else who would even answer the phone.

 The correct decision manifested itself, he knew what he had to do. He’d call Eddie, his editor in the morning.  He’ll pull the book to save his friend. Marcus smiled, comforted in the right decision. He sent a quick text to Jon. ‘You’re good.”

He’ll put his life back on track, stop drinking, straighten things out.

Suddenly he felt the bed move, someone stood near him. 

“Hello?” Marcus stared up into the dim room, hard, cold blue eyes looked back at him.  He tried to sit up but his arms caught in the soft bedding, trapping him. “We’re all straight- I’m not going to do it. I texted Jon-”

“What do you think happens to me if it gets out?”  A glint of light reflected off a thin needle in her hand.

He scuffled, his arms twisted in bed clothes, had no purchase, the soft bed gave him no leverage.

“Your publisher will be happy. Popular author relapses back into his addiction, your back catalogue will sell out.” Katie said as her hand held his arm in a vice grip, the needle in his skin only a prick.

“What’s that in your hand? I don’t understand…” 

Marcus, a writer to the end, wished he had a better last line too, before the darkness closed in and the room finally stopped spinning. 

May 30, 2024 19:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

22:26 Jun 05, 2024

Ouch! Your opening sentence needs help. " If Marcus Boddy had known...* Now the reader is set up to expect a murder, a suicide, an accident, or even a sudden illness or heart attack. You produce it from a totally unexpected source. Well done! I don't understand how including secrets in fiction could ruin someone's life, unless the person is identified. The best part for me is the description of how following the money can ruin a writer's character and relationships. This story can serve as a cautionary tale.

Reply

Marty B
23:15 Jun 05, 2024

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
10:19 Jun 04, 2024

Wow, what an ending. The thing about the boost in back catalogue sales is so mercilessly true. Is it morbid? I was guilty of that after David Bowie died, doing a deep dive in his music because I was so sad he wouldn’t make any more, the same with Amy Winehouse and I wish it was easier to get more work by Iain M Banks or Douglas Adams. Being screwed over when your MC was making the right choice was a real gut punch. Very impactful.

Reply

Marty B
17:55 Jun 04, 2024

I agree, I bought my share of Amy Winehouse's music, even merch! Hopefully when you the big time, become a famous writer, you'll be around to enjoy the accolades ;)

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:27 Jun 04, 2024

Yeah I’m getting too old to die young but I think writers last longer than most musicians. Hopefully we both make it and we can do book signings at nearby booths.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Denney Owen
22:59 Jun 03, 2024

What a moral rollercoaster! It’s like, no matter how much we think we’ve got things figured out, life throws a curveball. Cheers to keeping us on our toes, Marty!

Reply

Marty B
17:52 Jun 04, 2024

Thanks for the great comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danielle LeBlanc
15:12 Jun 03, 2024

Powerful story! Love a good moral test, and I am a sucker for a melancholic ending. Excellent work, Marty!

Reply

Marty B
18:13 Jun 03, 2024

I agree, some how melancholic endings make me feel better. - At least I'm better than that poor schmuck ;) !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Devon Cano
21:33 Jun 02, 2024

Absolutely love that last line. Such a compelling read!

Reply

Marty B
00:14 Jun 03, 2024

I hope when I go out, I'll have a an inspirational last line! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
16:53 Jun 02, 2024

Were Furries even a thing years ago...? Ha, learn something new every day. The writer from life's dilemma neatly described. Got to have a tough skin or learn to ask permission, eh? Killer last line in more ways than one.

Reply

Marty B
00:15 Jun 03, 2024

Furry culture is long and deep, not to mention Bronies! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
11:33 Jun 02, 2024

The opening line drew me in and I liked the way you introduced the reader to Marcus’s character skilfully giving us a preview into his not particularly great life - in spite of outward trappings. Tragic that he wasn’t able to make that change and pull the book. But in the cold light of day, would he have done it? It seemed unlikely. Great final paragraph. “A writer to the end…”

Reply

Marty B
00:17 Jun 03, 2024

I agree, it was the alcohol talking. Marcus would sell his soul to get more books sold. That's why nothing I write sells, my ethics ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:19 Jun 02, 2024

Just when he thought better of it, he got his comeuppance. What on earth had he written that was so bad? Some secrets from the past? Katie took exception. Had to keep reading until the bitter end.

Reply

Marty B
00:17 Jun 03, 2024

Bitter end is right! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:22 Jun 01, 2024

I guess, I'll have a drink now. Well, maybe wait till my head stops spinning. Great story, Marti. Loved the opening line (and the rest too).

Reply

Marty B
00:19 Jun 03, 2024

What is it about drinking and writing? There are so many examples of great writers and bad drinkers. Just not too many!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:34 Jun 03, 2024

Writing is solitary, drinking alone can/ will lead to overindulgence (?)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
01:04 Jun 01, 2024

Wasn't expecting that culprit! Nice twist. I loved the way the last line took from the beginning. "paranoia was a valuable and needed friend." I'll remember that! I was just telling my friend about my paranoia 😂

Reply

Marty B
00:21 Jun 03, 2024

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:31 May 31, 2024

Chilling one here. Great use of descriptions. It felt very much alive because of it. Wonderful work !

Reply

Marty B
19:47 May 31, 2024

Thanks for the good words! Made my day ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:42 May 31, 2024

Nice one. It's dangerous to be writer sometimes.

Reply

Marty B
15:27 May 31, 2024

It's tough being a writer ;) Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:07 May 31, 2024

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Reply

Marty B
15:26 May 31, 2024

Exactly! Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
10:38 Jun 04, 2024

Your story captivates with its complex character and moral dilemmas, making for a compelling read. Great work!

Reply

Marty B
17:53 Jun 04, 2024

I appreciate your good words! 'Compelling read' is my goal, glad it worked. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.