"Where had those people gone."?

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

Qadir uncle ,a carefree persona, jolly and straight forward, birthed in 1912, in the northern areas of now, Pakistan .when he touched adolescence, met my grandfather in a military Canteen, my grandfather, ,captain in British Indian army, enlisted him in his guest parlor . Whenever somebody asked him about his age or date of birth, he had one answer “The year when Titanic had sunk ".After the departure of my grandfather from this world,we came along with him to Rawal pindi. My father loved and respected him dearly. Symbolized him as a member of family and








 in charge of our Mansion. As mentioned earlier ,My grandfather ,later modelled as a captain in British Indian army, seemed close to the Army officers ,they felt honoured visit my grandfather’s parlor frequently. Qadir uncle tried to absorbed and abserved their life style,  albeit, uncle raised uneducated, but his lifestyle resembled with my grandfather.I still remember, the personality touch of my grandfather had a great impact on his life style ,by recalling him frequently.  Uncle used to drive us to school ,before sitting in the car, He thorrow examined all brothers and sisters ,nails,teeth,school uniform,if the uniform didn’t appear creased, he personally creased it.Thisdr,I think,well conditioning of my grandfather to him which changed the entire family.Later,when we moved to Rawal pindi, My father bought him a house. , got him married, and becomb blessed with four kids., It wanna be right to say he appeared as “Jack of all trades “.He knew every art of every day sciences 1like,driving,plumbing,hairdressing,gardening ,cooking,washing and with a special knack of telling great stories ,especially his narration of the sad events of Partioning of India and Pakistan,1947, was superb.

One day my mother asked him to bring Yogurt from the nearby market.Humidity dancing severely on its highest verge. At four,noon,My mother received a call from Peshawar. It pegged Qadir uncle. “I’m sorry to bring Yogurt, I’m in Peshawar “.”I think yogurt appeared short in Rawal pindi”.Mother remarked sarcastically.” No,no, you know I’m a soft man,while going to Market to getting some Yogurt,It recorded severe hot,a van conductor yelling “Only one passenger needs to Peshawar.”. He continued yelling high in a severe heat,It pitied me and made me sit in the van “He humbly described .My father enjoyed the event greatly and suggestedly remarked”Uncle,while you became pitied, why don’t you gave him the fare only “.”yes,sir I didn’t have that thought “.This depicted his cuteness and simplicity way of life.

Qadir uncle appeared as bold and brave. In those days there came to be band of One hundred and twenty robbers, they spread great panic in the suburb ,Nobody dare to go out after sunset. Mansion bearing out of town in a lonely place, in those days population stood thin and After sun set all the road became deserted.My father always cease out of town for business trips. .Uncle smelled about the possibility of the robbers attack on the Mansion. He called his brother in law, from the village,He served as an Ex Army man, He came along with a dozen Army men, they were fully armed. Chalk out a plan like army sort, made different posts on the upper sides of the Mansion, with great searching lights and erected barbed wire with electric current running in it. One trick that Army man played, He taped the barking of Dogs ,at midnight they would switched on the tape,the grueling sound of the dogs made and turn the scenario more fearful and alert. The dwellers of the Mansion, also didn’t know about the dogs barking. In the Market, they spread out the news of guarding the whole Mansion by the Ex Army men ”but in reality there were only one dozen men, but the plan of the Ex Army man was severely fantastic. All the Mansion dwellers were strictly warned by the Army man stay inside the rooms, irrespective of any circumstances.



 .One night it happened which stabbing feared. The band of one hundred and twenty robbers arrived. Midnight scrolled.They were all riding in large jeeps .The Ex Army man,switched on the Search lights and the tape of the barking dogs ,the scenario becomb wild and horrified. The robbers got scared,

. "Dare not to step towards the Mansion, all would be killed, the whole Mansion got surveillanced by the Ex Army men"

.This announcement blasted more than a bomb.

“The band stood for a while,and than they moved forward. After fifteen days that band of one hundred and twenty robbers , were caught by the efforts of the police. My father learnt all this,He cut short his visit and rewarded the Ex Army man and his comrades.

Time skimmed gentle with great affection.

 One day father asked to organize a grand party on the forthcoming Eid's day.

Qadir uncle, along with other hirelings, make himself  complete occupied. Organized the whole party with attained colossal.At four,noon,while still some guests were there,two cars screeched in the porch.Qadir uncle’s wife stepped out and angrily asked" where is Qadir”? What happened”? Mother asked with great distortion. ”Qadir is a careless creature, today there is a wedlock of our daughter.All the guests are gathered there, Father of the groom became overtly pathetic us by asking about Qadir's absence and he declared if Qadir didn’t make sit in the wedlock occasion , the occasion would be rolled back “.sobbed his wife. Now every body stood up and busied searching Qadir uncle. Father found him in a attic up on the roof top, asleep and snoring.Father awakened him and asked ”You know today is your daughter’s wedlock”. “Yes, I know” he replied sleepy. ”So,why are you here than? you should be present there on the occasion,you know ,father of the groom is a suspicious person, He is denying the wedlock, in your absence". Father precisely briefed him.

“Sahib, You are genuine,but I had to organize the function over here in Mansion,All responsibility patting on my shoulders ,made impossible for me to avoid your function. ”Uncle,if you would have told me, there were other ways out.Now stand-up ,we all Will go with you “.said father enthusiastically. We all ,along with our guests went towards Uncle's house. There were about three hundred participants in western.They all awaiting Uncle. Groom’s father , standing with a severe annoyed gesture., “if you were not willing with this marriage, you should have told before,now you have insulted us in front of so many people, I’m now holding back”. My Father ,when smelled the occasion tensed, He abruptly jumped in and said to Groom’s father “Bro, truth is this, today in the morning, Qadir uncle had a mild heart attack,we took him to the hospital, doctor reluctantly agreed to allowed him to leave,we brought him here just to attend the occasion,for about half an hour, then we would take him back to the hospital “By knowing this groom's father becomb cool and the wedlock took place.

Now we are also came of age and sometimes thought about the Golden period spent with parents and Qadir Uncle,by God,tears wetted the eyes.

The End.

“Where had those people gone".?


May 13, 2021 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.