18 comments

Drama Friendship Contemporary

Meeting longtime friends from her college days, Bonnie entered the club head held high. She saw pals, Chelsea, Nicole and Eileen sitting in a booth against the back wall. Bonnie’s emotions soared and dove. Navigating her way toward them, she felt drawn like a balloon in the wake of a cruise ship.

Friends can be brutal. Would they notice the changes? Would they approve? Could they be honest?

‘Do I want the truth?’

She hadn’t seen any of them since before her surgery. This could be an ordeal.

Unless one knew, the work she’d had done was invisible. They knew.

‘At least I don’t have duck lips, like so many…’

She stepped up to their table and smiled. No one noticed her until everyone realized.

Screaming, Chelsea jumped up. “Bonnie! You’re amazing! Hardly recognized you… well, you know what I mean…”

She laughed. “I do…” She did.

They group hugged. Eyes watched. Looking for flaws.

All agreed Bonnie looked great. Better. Wonderful.

Tracking their glances, she knew they meant it. Friends since college, who could believe twenty years had passed?

Listening to them, Bonnie wondered, ‘Are they admiring a stranger at another table? Or addressing a third person within whom I happen to exist?’

Signaling the waitress, they pulled Bonnie into the booth.

They always called themselves ‘the Rummies.’ Had the nick name come from all-night bouts of Gin Rummy? Or from their favorite liquor? Chelsea insisted if cards were the source, their name should be ‘the Ginnies.’

Four mai tais arrived. Chelsea toasted Bonnie while twirling a paper umbrella over her head.

“To our new, old friend!”

They drank and cheered.

“Thanks, guys. I’m getting used to my new face.”

Eileen said, “You look great.”

“She might. But I don’t feel it.”

Confused, Nicole whispered to Chelsea, “She?”

Bonnie clarified. “You know. That stranger who observes from inside the mirror.”

Chelsea guffawed. “You got me! Hilarious. Same old Bonnie.”

They clinked glasses and drank. The conversation shifted, but always returned to ‘the work’ Bonnie had done.  

Chelsea finally said it. “I’m thinking of getting work done too. You know, a little tuck here and there. You inspire me, Bon.”

Bonnie said, “I’ll give you my guy’s number. He’ll love a referral.”

“Sure…”

“Don’t worry. He’s not a Pygmalion – doesn’t fall in love with his work. But he is an artist. Won’t rubber stamp you.”

Nicole said, “I’d never do it.”

Chelsea looked shocked, “Why not?”

“I just wouldn’t.”

“Not that you need it. But… I mean, who doesn’t need an occasional touch up?”

“Isn’t that what make up’s for?”

Chelsea leaned in to Nicole. “What’re you doing, girl?”

Nicole looked confused.

Chelsea pressed. “Why are you here?”

“To celebrate Bonnie.” She raised her glass.

“Then do that. Don’t embarrass her.”

“I’m not. She chose well, for her. All I’m saying is, it’s not for me.”

Chelsea shook her head and gave Bonnie a sympathetic look. Bonnie smiled and said nothing.

Eileen weighed in. “Sooner or later every house needs fresh paint.”

Nicole shook her head. “Look at some of the stars who got work… Sheesh!”

“But…”

“Whatever anyone thinks of my face, I earned every wrinkle.” Nicole made her best vampire face.

Eileen said, “Sure. But these days, nature’s provision isn’t final.”

Chelsea said, “I don’t have to accept the cards I’m dealt. I’ll take three…”

Eileen added, “Right. People dye their hair. Cut it. Style it…”

“…Paint their nails.”

Nicole shrugged. “Cosmetics is one thing. Go for it. Decorate all you want. Call me a wuss, but I’m shy around knives.”

Eileen said, “You’re a wuss.”

Everyone cracked up.

Chelsea said, “Why live with your father’s nose?”

Nicole paused. “That’s all he ever gave me.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Nicole laughed.

Chelsea and Eileen riffed.

“Who picks flowers but doesn’t arrange them?”

“Rivers get bridges...”

“Teeth get capped.”

“…Tattoos…”

Nicole tapped the table. “Again, adornment. Knock yourselves out.”

With an uncomfortable pause, they turned to Bonnie, who shrugged.

Nicole added. “Remember, it’s not like upgrading the kitchen. Once and done. No redos.”

Bonnie’s boyfriend, Blake, approached. Bonnie smiled up at him. The others nodded.

He said, “Hey, beautiful… You ready? No rush…”

Bonnie slurped the last of her drink and grabbed her purse. The others gave her farewell hugs.

Chelsea said, “Sorry about all the debate…”

“Forget it. Comes with the territory. What we do.”

Nicole touched her arm. “So glad to see you, Bon. You look great. Promise me, though, don’t make it a habit.”

Bonnie smiled and nodded.

She waved good-bye, took Blake’s arm and left.

He kissed her and opened the car door. She slid into the front seat.

He got in and turned to Bonnie. “You know you’re the love of my life?” She nodded and pointed at him. “How was the reunion?”

Bonnie didn’t hesitate. “About as expected. Think they approved my new look.”

“How could they not? You look fantastic.”

“You serious?”

“Bonnie… You’re beautiful. You’ve always been beautiful.”

She looked down. “I don’t know. Am I trading one obsession for another?”

“You’re perfect.”

“You think?”

“Everyone agrees.”

“Now? Or before?”

“Both. Your beauty isn’t superficial.”

“Why can’t I see it?”

He started the car and pulled into traffic.

Bonnie said, “Feel like I’m wearing a mask.”

“Then it’s a gorgeous one.”

“But it’s not me.”

“You think you’re alone? That’s everyone’s secret fear. But if you must wear a mask, let it be pretty.”

“I don’t recognize me. Am I hiding from myself?”

Blake grinned. “C’mon, Bon… You were perfect before. Except for the tiniest bit of vanity… oh, wait… you still have it.”

He laughed.

Bonnie frowned. “I get it. Vanity’s my essence. Of course…”

He sighed at his failure to lighten her mood.

“Blake, I’m not talking about a suit of clothes or a lost earring… I’m talking about me. Bonnie. I know me. But where am I? Wish I had GPS…”

He pulled over, killed the engine and turned to her. “I’m all ears.”

“I admit I was never crazy about my face. Hated it. It depressed me for years… But now… I miss it.”

He held her hand to be there for her.

She continued. “When I see ‘myself’ in the mirror, it’s not me. A caricature is mugging back.”

He looked into her eyes and saw the woman he loved.

She said, “I want to see the smile I know. Not a counterfeit.”     

“So, smile.”

She smiled. It felt like trying on a hat that didn’t quite fit.

“You’re great. It’s beautiful. You’re beautiful. What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know it. It’s ragged. Not mine.” She stifled a tear. “I’ll never see it again.”

“Well, you’re still beautiful.”  

He hugged and kissed her. She began to sob. He held her until she calmed.

She dabbed her eyes. Resisting the urge to cover her mouth, she smiled.

Bonnie feared he would tire of her anxiety.

He said, “You know, Bon, it could be worse… Long day. Let’s go home.” He started the car and pulled into the street. They rode in silence.

Preparing for bed, Bonnie peered into the mirror, searching for someone no longer there. ‘I’ll never see her again.’

Even when a child, she hated her looks. But she always recognized herself. No more.

‘Everyone says I look better.’ She couldn’t see it. ‘Now that she’s gone…’

She thought, ‘the real Bonnie’s a ghost, lingering… just out of sight.’

She thought of loved ones gone forever. ‘Life does that. People lose touch. They move on or pass away…’

Bonnie examined her reflection. ‘This ‘Bonnie’ is present. She knows my every thought. Why can’t I see her?’

She knew why.

‘Will this masquerade be my life? I miss my smile.’

She climbed into bed beside Blake. Already asleep, he murmured at her kiss. She scanned the room. It hadn’t changed.

The true Bonnie hadn’t changed.

‘I can still smile inside.’

May 30, 2024 19:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

04:34 Jun 06, 2024

Hi John Read your story because of critique circle. Your story fitted the prompt. The only superficial thing I ever did was get my teeth straightened. I paid for it myself. My mother reckoned I was beautiful enough without worrying about my teeth. She always questioned why I had it done. Then the baby of the family needed braces and got them. My father said, "Her teeth are just like yours were." It hurt alot. My mouth felt much more comfortable after treatment. I had been teased at school due to an overbite. I have never regretted having ...

Reply

John K Adams
18:10 Jun 06, 2024

Kaitlyn, Thank you for your personal and in-depth comments on my story. I too went through the braces saga. I know of what you speak. The search for a 'perfect look' can become an obsession with a multitude of negative outcomes. After all, what is 'perfect'? Especially when the perceived 'imperfection' resides in the mind, and not on the face. Thanks for pointing out the cumbersome sentence. I'll fix that. I am not aware of Pygmalion's taste in women. I had the MC use it in the vernacular regarding his professionalism. This bears further ...

Reply

John K Adams
21:56 Jun 06, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn. doubled comments are not how I prefer to add emphasis.

Reply

00:37 Jun 17, 2024

??? No doubleups at my end. If there is at your end its a Reedsy glitch. No offence intended or deciphered. I came back in to check what I had commented to you the last time before reading your latest story. Now, I'm puzzled. LOL

Reply

John K Adams
02:07 Jun 17, 2024

Sorry, I think I sent a doubled comment. No problem on your end. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
00:33 Jun 02, 2024

How much do we miss ourselves as we were at certain ages. As one grows older there are times when you wonder where the twenty year old you went, you see your image in a mirror and wonder who that old lady is. Obsession with looks or a denial of aging, then a realization that society rules our perceptions and ratings of ourselves. Wonderfully paced story with such insights in who we really are.

Reply

John K Adams
03:12 Jun 02, 2024

Thank you, Beverly, for your insightful comments on my story. Considering your expertise, I'm glad it resonated with you. I look forward to reading your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:44 Jun 01, 2024

There’s so much to this story, I could read it over again and find more. Is it an obsession with looks or is the MC just trying to improve herself? In the process it feels like MC she’s lost something of herself - she actually misses her old looks. Of course society is obsessed with looks, there’s so much pressure and she’s just responded to it. But the true Bonnie was there all the time. Good choice for a name.

Reply

John K Adams
22:34 Jun 01, 2024

Helen, Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on my story. I'm glad so much came through for you. The prompt was inspiring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:24 Jun 01, 2024

EEEK ! Hahahahaha ! But as Trudy said, it could be worse. LOL ! Lovely work !

Reply

John K Adams
14:47 Jun 01, 2024

Glad you liked it, Alexis. I always look forward to your posts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
14:51 May 31, 2024

It could be worse; it could be her mother looking back from the mirror (and it will at some point). :-)

Reply

John K Adams
15:23 May 31, 2024

Trudy, that may be the funniest comment I've ever received. Hilarious. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:32 May 31, 2024

But so true, sigh. 🤫

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:16 May 31, 2024

The ghost within.👻

Reply

John K Adams
01:54 May 31, 2024

You always have an interesting and enigmatic comment. Thanks, Mary. John

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:53 Jun 05, 2024

I enjoyed this story. This story felt so real and genuine. After all, a lot of people have had image issues (including me). In the end, it seems most of the time we find ourselves.

Reply

John K Adams
23:56 Jun 05, 2024

Thank you for reading and responding. I aim to find the truth of a character. I think most anyone who ever looked in a mirror has image issues. What is seen vs. perceived keeps writers in ink.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.