2 comments

Adventure

This story contains sensitive content

** Story contains some suggestive sexual innuendo **


My fingers lazily trailed down Vanessa’s arm. My dark brown eyes maintained steady eye contact with her bright blue ones as my fingers lazily stroked the inside of her wrist. I heard an involuntarily shudder and moan escape from her parted lips. With increaseing confidence, I moved my fingers to her hip. I let my fingers linger there for a bit, waiting for unspoken permission to delve further downward. “Plesse, Jake… don’t stop,” whispered Vanessa. Her body had told me that I could proceed, but the verbal agreement only added to my cockiness. Pun fully intended.I was ready to take this all the way. I lowered Vanessa to the bed and slowly began unbuttoning….


“ARGH I WAS ALMOST THERE. WHAT KIND OF ROMANCE WRITER IS IN CHARGE OF THIS STORY?"


 Story #2


I buttoned up my crisp whte dress shirt and neatly tucked them into my trousers. Selecting a blue tie, I looked at myself in the mirror. “Looking good, Jake,” I told the reflection. Grabbing my keys from the counter, I gave my cat, Lucy, a loving pat. “No parties today, Lucy. Be good. Daddy loves you.”


Walking into the elevator, I noticed a striking young woman with vibrant blue eyes. Our eyes met briefly, and then I quickly looked away. Words would not form as I took in her beauty. I was beholden. The awkward ride of an elevator commenced, the air thick wiht tension, and would-be words. I had seen this same stunning creation for two weeks now and had yet found the courage to talk to her. “Maybe tomorrow,” I thought to myslef as the elevator came to the first floor. Doors opening, I held the door open for her, eyes downcast as I waited for her mumbled thanks. “Thanks, I’m Vanessa by the….


“ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NOW YOU PAUSE THE STORY? IT WAS JUST GETTING GOOD. NOOO! I'M OBVIOUSLY WORKING WITH NOOBS. THIS STORY HAS CHANGED MORE THAN A STOPLIGHT IN NEW YORK CITY.”



Story #3


“I love who you are,” I whisper to her. We are in her kitchen and she is leaning against the counter, stirring a pot of linguine.  Not “I love you” of course. Way too soon for that. And not “I love every thing about you.”  Too plebian. Too basic. Vanessa slowly smiles at me as her eyes scan my body. My words had their desired effect as she slithers closer. Vanessa lightly kisses my lips, softly biting on my bottom lip. Not enough to hurt, but a promise of a side of her none too demure. I respond in turn, and soon we are deeply kissing. She is breathing heavily, as she pushes me slightly away. 


“Wait,” she throatily whispers. Sauntering over to the stovetop, Vanessa reaches over and turns off the oven. One flame has died and another has ignited as our passions…


“THANK GOD I AM OUT OF THERE (COMMENCE RETCHING NOISES) ‘ONE FLAME HAS DIED AND ANOTHER HAS IGNITED?’ THIS WRITER HAS GOT TO GO. I WANT TO TALK TO MY AGENT. NO, I WANT TO TALK TO THEIR AGENT!!!“


Story #4


I look in the mirror. My warm brown eyes reflect back at me as I run a nervous hand through my wavy brown hair. "I'm Jake. Fancy meeting you here," I say to the reflection. "Come here often?" I try again. I slip on my dress shoes and grab my keys from the counter, getting ready for the daily meeting in the elevator. I have seen the same girl in the elevator for 5 days in a row. I have talked to her… not at all.  I look confident. Boyish good lucks with an easy sense of humor. But put me around a pretty girl and I become as shy as a school boy on the first day of class. But I will talk to this beautiful girl today.  I said that yesterday too. But today I WILL talk to her. I thumbs up my image in the mirror and walk out my apartment door and down the plush carpeted hallway. I take a peek at my watch 7:30 am. Right on time.


I press the button and check myself out in the reflection of the elevator. "Not too bad, Romeo" I tell myself, trying to bolster my courage. The doors slide open. My eyes start at a pari of black stilletos and work their way up to long legs encased in a black skirt. Roaming slowly, my eyes take in a floral shirt, cinched at the waist. Travelling upward, I notice long wavy brown hair. I steel myself to keep going so that I can finally make eye contact with the girl from the elevator who has been haunting my dreams. My breath stutters as her blue eyes meet my brown ones. Her pupils widen. 


We hold our gazes as the elevator doors close. "Say something," I think to myself. "Anything." Mouth dry with anxiety, I croak out a "Hi", my normal voice now overtaken with the high-pitched squeak of an adolescent teen. I can feel embarassment suffusing my body as my cheeks redden. "Hello" she whispers back. I steal a glance at her and notice the twin splotches of pink on her cheeks. She quickly looks down at the ground, and then daringly glances up. "Could this goddess actually be SHY?" “I think. Confidence now soaring, I offer her a reassuing smile. Her smile reveals one adorable dimple in her left cheek. I am smitten. I reach out my hand, “Hi, I”m Ja…


"NO. NO, NO, NO. I STOMP MY IMAGINARY FOOT ON THE PAGE. GO BACK. I WANT TO FINISH THAT STORY. THAT STORY WAS ACTUALLY GOOD. I'M GOING ON A PROGAGONIST'S STRIKE. I SIT DOWn NEXT TO THE “JA” THAT WAS LEFT ABANDONED. . I REFUSE TO BUDGE. SOMEONE HAS TO HELP THIS WRITER SEE THE LIGHT. NO MORE. THIS STOPS TODAY. THIS STOPS NOW."



"There's nothing wrong with your computer or keyboard, Ma'am." the worker at Best Buy tells me as he hands back my laptop.


"The delete key works fine. The letter "K” works fine as well," he continues. His voice is amused yet kind. I find myself blushing at the warmth of his gaze.


Handing me a business card, he tells me to reach out if I have any other issues. I take the business card, too shy to respond, and head back home. I press the elevator button up as I wait to see where this story will go.

September 02, 2024 22:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Monica Raschitor
10:34 Sep 08, 2024

Overall Rating: 3/5 The story offers a creative and humorous take on the writing process, with engaging meta-commentary and a strong character voice. However, it would benefit from a more consistent tone, deeper character development, and a more cohesive resolution.

Reply

Marie Nolan
19:54 Sep 08, 2024

Thank you for the feedback. I struggled with the ending and kept changing it. Ironic, given the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.