WB, Every Writer's Bestest Frenemy (part 1)

Written in response to: Write a story in which someone gets credit for something they didn’t do.... view prompt

28 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

“I’m finally going to write a story after all this time!” you exclaim to yourself.

A mysterious cloaked figure stalks into the room, and they quietly close the door behind them.

“No you aren’t,” they say blandly as they lean against the wall.

“Excuse me? Yes I am. I have my laptop open on docs right now. It’s literally right there,” you say, gesturing to your computer as the cursor bounces up and down. 

They chuckle slightly.

“I wouldn't be so confident if I were you,” they say softly, as if offended by my bubbliness. 

No one speaks for days it seems.

“Who are you…?” you finally ask with peering, squinted eyes. 

They take a breath before answering the question hanging in the air.

“That’s not important right now. You’ll find out when the time is ripe, like a crisp apple just looming above your head.”

You stare at them for a moment. 

“...Okay, strange and creepy metaphors aside, why won’t you just tell me who you are, or at least what I can call you…”

“Feel free to call me anything you like, but I’m commonly known as your worst enemy.”

You gasp.

“You mean that you’re a creepy birthday clown?!?!?!”

They seem to glare at you from under their hood.

“No, that’s not what I meant...just call me WB for now.”

“Okay, WB. Wait...what does that stand for?” you ask innocently.

“Ugh, it stands for ‘Writer’s Block’. Now, how’s that story coming?” they say as they stuff their hands in their coat pockets.

You shove all your questions down inside as you think of a plot line.

“Well, I guess I have some slight ideas for a story…” you mutter. 

“Well then? Don’t keep me waiting. Just do your magic,” they say.

You nod stiffly and turn back to your computer.

You begin to move that dancing cursor with some words. 

‘Fire Elves. Ice Elves. Earthen Elves. Weather Elves. The other clan,’ you type.

The figure silently pushes off the wall and peers over your shoulder.

“You can do better than that! ‘The other clan’? Really? I mean, what kind of clan name is that?” they say.

“Apparently you don’t understand ‘personal bubbles’, do you?” you mutter to them.

“Nope, not at all,” they say. You imagine that they are grinning hard under their hood. 

“Well, perhaps you could, oh, I don’t know, leave while I work on my story, okay, WB?” you suggest.

The room holds its breath as they answer.

“Nah, I’m good, thanks for asking though. Please, do continue. And come up with a better clan name, while you’re at it.”

You exhale sharply.

“That’s rather rude of you,” you hiss.

“Rudeness is a compliment in my society,” they hiss back. 

“Your society isn’t very nice…”

“No, it really isn’t nice. We cheat people, steal ideas from them, and best of all, we make it so that they can’t write a decent story for over a month.” The dim desk light gleams in their dark eyes. “And how do we do this? We block every single speck of inspiration from ever entering their minds. Therefore, my name is Writer's Block because I block you from ever being able to write anything good ever again!” They laugh like they’ve just made the best joke in all of history. 

You silently turn back to your computer. 

You erase the sentence, feeling like it was the worst idea ever, and unfortunately, you fall into WB’s trap. But a sudden idea pulls you out of your dreary moment. 

“What’s your weakness?” you ask.

WB finally stops laughing and stares right at you. 

“What?! I have no weakness!” they exclaim.

You smile.

“Only people who do have weaknesses will say that they don’t. Ha! Now I’ve got ya! Let’s see...how can I get rid of you, oh persistent WB?”

They wince slightly.

“Please don’t say it like that…”

“Oh? What’s that? You don’t like my drama? Is that your weakness, emotional stories?” you ask.

“Uh…”

“Ah! I must write an emotional story to overcome you then!”

You set to work typing a sad story onto the page, where a fox becomes sad after his friend dies. 

‘The day Foxy lost Joey was a sad day indeed,’ you type with haste.

“There, WB, I have conquered you with a sad story! Leave me alone from now on!” you exclaim.

WB, known as Writer’s Block, fades from your room. With a content sigh, you finish the story in peace. 





Yes, this was written during my own phase of Writer’s Block so it’s not that good (especially the ending, rip). Reading and writing emotional stories sometimes can lift writer’s block, but there are other cures known to man. Most inspiration comes from what you read, just sayin’. I do hope to find more time to write more stories in the future, but this lil one is all for now :)

-Wolfie out

November 21, 2021 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Danny -
05:04 Nov 21, 2021

WOAHHHH the humor in this story was really well-written, Writer's Block in the flesh is not something you see everyday, that's with a capital letter W and B :') I just looooooved the interaction between the writer and grim reaper-inspired WB, I'm sure it's something everybody here on reedsy has been through Lil side comment also, the ending was great!!! Very typical way to get rid of writer's block Greaaaat job, wolfie ;0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Billbug -
14:13 Dec 17, 2021

ooh, i really liked this story. it was so lighthearted and carefree (in a good way of course). I liked how you personified writer's block and made them into a really cool character. Also, how you made them nervous and found your own 'weakness' withing WB so that you could continue writing. I quite liked the ending even if you didn't as much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Creed .
22:01 Dec 06, 2021

🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cookie Carla🍪
15:02 Dec 02, 2021

🐻 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
14:44 Dec 02, 2021

What is FINAL WEEK?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cookie Carla🍪
14:57 Nov 30, 2021

🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 ...what's up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Victor .
17:10 Nov 29, 2021

Hello, my name is Nightmare Phantom, but you can call me Night or Mare or any other name you see fit. I am reaching out on reedsy to find more friends and meet more amazing people. If you are interested in getting to know me more, feel free to respond, if not, that's completely fine. I may seem stiff and emotionless at first but I'm a great person once you get to know me, at least I'd hope I am. ~Nightmare Phantom

Reply

Show 0 replies
.. .
16:35 Nov 29, 2021

oh my gosh! what a creative idea! i loved it. asdfghjkkkkdfslj why didnt i follow you yet....i gotta go follow you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
03:23 Nov 29, 2021

🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 I KISSED SO MANY FROGS....WHERE IS MY PRINCE?🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:57 Nov 28, 2021

🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Esther :)
22:21 Nov 27, 2021

Here’s Forg 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 And his buddy🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

Reply

Unknown User
01:17 Dec 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:37 Nov 27, 2021

Hey, do you know who that Jack dude is? With the weird cursive font? he's following me and my friends but doesn't comment on anything. Just sort of reads and stalks. A silent critiquer? a bully-to-be? Or just a weird dude not sure how to start a conversation?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
16:15 Nov 27, 2021

Lol! The Wolf in your PFP is so chill and coolio! I mean, its like it is sitting with full swag on!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:26 Nov 27, 2021

🐸 Heh- spammed this lil guy so much I almost broke my phone- not gonna try that again-

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey Wolf, just wanted to let you know that I have a new story! Story number #3! WHOO! Three is a Jesus number...just more proof that these stories aren't mine, they're God's!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
07:59 Nov 26, 2021

LMAOOOOOOOOO LOVE IT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Writer's Block, hate you so much ✨✨ 😂😂😂😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:43 Nov 26, 2021

🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 🐻 Just completed at 5:42 pm >:DDD DO MORE SHADOWWW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
04:08 Nov 25, 2021

🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:54 Nov 23, 2021

Nice...great one! I know what you're saying here, BUT, you have stated a wrong fact: WRITER'S BLOCK CAN LAST MORE THAN A MONTH, IT CAN LAST FOR 3 MONTHS (or so I think) I do have a StRaNgE inspiration and I am talking sTrAnGeR tHaN aNyThInG iN tHe WoRlD strange...it's gonna come up on my blog tomorrow....see you there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Moon Lion
02:06 Nov 22, 2021

"no you aren't" HA! You tell 'em writer's block. Well written and catchy, so I'm glad to see you escaped writer's block's clutches.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.