Just An Average Tower Princess

Submitted into Contest #170 in response to: Fly by the seat of your pants and write a story without a plan.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy


When I was taken to live in a tower—it was expected for a Princess like me to be terrified. To slink into the corner of my (rather an extravagant one mind you) room that I now reside in and wait for some knightly prince to save me as I cower from the dragon. Perhaps even a bit of resistance and attempt escape.


Funny enough, I asked for this. I’m relieved to be away from the place I falsely called home which hosted a place of so-called family who was to forcefully marry me off to some higher-ranking prince.


Yeah, no.


And that dragon who supposedly kidnapped me? His name is—well funny thing about that is he attempted to keep it anonymous to me. Well. He seemed to not have realized how stubborn of a lady I am, so I had called him Anne for days for cropping of such the word anonymous. 


Eventually, he told me of it. Eldran. He didn’t give up his last name and looked rather fearful in thinking of me nicknaming him something else, but I decidedly was merciful to him on that aspect…for now.


As far as I can tell, this tower life is all I need. Books for my leisure and study (sometimes I try to sneak into his room for spells, but he’s quick to shoo me away with a growl), food that arrives from Stars knows where, and the biggest fluffiest bed I could ask for.


And the tower itself is magnificent from where I overview from the window seal that casts its morning sunshine and evening moon goes upon me where I sometimes relax with a book or two on the couch next to it. Disguised as part of nature to have it beautifully embedded of slick stone and mountains, overviewing the sky beyond one’s imagination, overhead crowds of trees the shade of purple.


Oh—but I’m definitely allowed to step out at any point as the weeks went on, and I stated firmly to Eldran that I need not his permission in the first place, even though I do not have the desire to explore the outside world. I suppose I’ve gotten so used to be forced into what I have to do and where I need to, that now I finally have the opportunity of choosing for myself in the palm of my hands, I clasp onto it like a feral beast as I snapped at him.


He simply raised his rather large dark-skinned hands with that blank expression of his shadowed-under-silver hair and eyes.


It’s funny to think such a beautiful man on his human form to be a terrifying creature to which does not want to invoke my own rage—I sometimes question as to why he even lets me in the first place, that among the many other reason as to why he brought me specifically to his humble home, but the let the thought trail off into nothingness before it picks up again and fades away—a tireless cycle if I might admit. 


As the days go on, it’s also a cycle itself, a routine I’ve strangely grown fond of because I simply have the freedom to do what I want, when I want, and how I want.


For Star's sake, I ate my food on my bed for once! It was a fairly thrilling experience. 


I’m not sure why Eldran found my reaction so disturbing—then again, as a dragon, I suspect it’s a normalcy for him to eat raw meat in the woods below like the animal he is.


Though it is nice to shake things up a bit, today was not one I was excited about. Now, I’m not own to mind company, Eldran for whatever peculiar reason seems to enjoy being around me unless of necessity to leave, but with what I gazed down upon from the tower, I realize that I now only enjoy a nonhuman’s company. Especially one of royalty. And one I was required to marry if not five months ago, I believe it was.


The prince. The speck of a dot on the grown far, far, far, far below did not meet one of those obligations. Somehow I knew it to be him, even as I flowed down the stairs and opened a window seal on a lower level in the third library to get a closer look at his elaborate garb consisting of a white button-up shirt and black pants on his lean form and lopsided collar under a refined jawline. 


Dark brown eyes the color of the finest chocolate I rarely was allowed to eat back in my former “home” stared at my form as his chest heaved next to his brown and white steed.


Well isn’t this just straight out of a fairytale?


His mouth starts moving, and all I hear is a distant sort of fading mumble. I lean forward with my hands bracing on the ledge of the window with furrowed brows, “Huh?”


His mouth parted in his own confusion before trying again, but all I heard were words dodging in the wind.


“You’re too quiet!”


His brows furrow and I can see his mouth form the word ‘what?’. Dear Stars, why didn’t I decide to go lower?


I roll my eyes and cup my hands to my mouth, shouting, “You’re too quiet!!” 


He seems to hear my words because I could have sworn his eye twitched in annoyance, though I’m not sure as to exactly why. Most likely wondering why he decided to take the journey here in the first place.


“Princess Derifa, I have come to rescue you!” His voice, though loud, was as I remembered.


“Oh! That’s what you were trying to say!” I can’t help but burst into a laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and the situation before my face turns lax again and I give him a wide smile.


No.” I state, smile falling before remembering my manners, I still am a rather dignified individual after all, “Thanks! Lovely to meet you again though—hope you find a good bride!”


I beg your pardon—!


I shut the window seal with a slam, not caring to hear the rest of his so called pardon.


I cringe a bit after doing so, whispering aloud, “Well, at least I’m glad for one thing that Eldran isn’t here..” I give a quiet slight chuckle starting my trek back to my room.


I make it to halfway across the library when I hear a sudden thump. I still, and turn around to the window seal just in time to see a pebble hit the window, presumedly, for a second time.


He couldn’t he possibly—at the glass?


Stomping over to the frame, I push the doors open with a rush of anger, “Hey—what do you think your—“


I feel like an idiot the moment a pebble hits me. Right smack dab in the forehead.


I round back with a cry, clutching the area tenderly covering the stinging area and keeping back a round of inappropriate words from escaping my mouth. Only muffled ones of rage from closed lips.


My free hand slams a grip on the ledge as I glare angrily through my tears at the prince, “You hurt me, you imbecile!”


“Well, this wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t close the window on me!” 


I’m shaking at this point, smacking the window and gritting my teeth. Stars, I’m prepared to skewer this douchebag, “You—


A flap of familiar wings immediately has me shut up as a slow smile spreads on my face. I lean over the window and my smile widens as I catch a glimpse of pristine silver scales flash, and satisfaction fills me as I see the look of horror pass through the prince's face.


Finally, freaking home.


——————————————————


I decide not to ask of what happened to the little pest as I heard the familiar steps, or I suppose they’re more of stomps, from outside my door. I simply hum in contentment as I read through some lines on creatures of feathered wings and Corruption as the door swings open.


“Welcome home!” I exclaim, turning a page, and look up to him before blinking in surprise upon seeing his lips pressed tightly together from a seemingly unclenchable jaw, brows low with an…angered spark in his eyes.


I fight the twitch in my lips, but can’t help but comment with a tilt of my head as I study his taut towering stature, “Looks like someone is a tad bit grumpy. Let me guess, bad hunt?”


His pupils sharpen when snapping to me from his gaze out the window, his voice one between a powerful roughness of frustration, “I believe you know exactly what I’m angered of.”


My brows furrow as I cross my legs, blue dress flowing over them with the motion, “The prince, truly?” I can’t help but let out a huff of a laugh when his lip lifts a bit to show one of his deadly canines.


My lips twist into a smirk as I set down my book, “Don’t tell me, are you perhaps—jealous, oh powerful pristine dragon lord?”


“No.” He states gruffly, crossing his arms ridden in muscle. “I just do not appreciate creatures who think to trespass on my territory.”


“Except me of course, huh? Huh?”


He blinks slowly, “You are a part of my territory.” He says it as if it’s a fact, and I have to blink a few times for myself before I can’t help but start gushing.


“Wow! Never knew you considered me so personally, Eldran—my heart is weeping!”


He only pinches the bridge of his nose as I giggle like a gossiping maid before waving him over to sit with me, “Come, come, join me. It’s rather cold in here, especially when I stuck my nose out to that nosey prince, and you’re so warm!”


He gives me a blank look, “I have provided you with mounds of pillows. Plus on that, there is that fireplace in the library you nagged me on getting.”


“Yes, but you are much more comfortable than a mere chair and flame, plus”, I clutch myself dramatically before placing a hand to my forehead and leaning back, “I’m oh so traumatized by that encounter. I need a big string dragon to keep me safe.”


He huffs in amusement, one I’ve seen him do in his animalistic form, but hesitates for a moment, his eyes almost…softening in suspicion and consideration before he narrows their silvers on me, “I’ll get you some nutrients. Perhaps this shock you’re going through your body is in need of food.”


I look away at him with a huff of my own, “Rude, but fine.”


“Independent, yet so needy.” He says back before turning to leave.


Even as he said the words while he walked away out the door he came from, I could have sworn there was to be the smallest upturn of his lips.

October 29, 2022 06:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

K.J Stars
06:51 Oct 29, 2022

I would very much appreciate feedback! Please and ty for reading :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.