The Robbery

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story told entirely through one chase scene.... view prompt

1 comment

General

 A week before there was an accident which happened near the Grover street. It was a terrible accident but nobody was hurt. There lived an old couple for past 40 years, they had a shop called “Sizzling Dim Sums”. It got destroyed inside out. A plate number which was not of this town was found on the road where the incident took place. The police investigated the town and found the security footage. The footage showed that around 2 am there was a car which hit the store and ran. This was all the police got from 2 minutes footage. People were puzzled that why someone would do this. After searching about the plate number, it was a stolen car. It was a black Honda. The police checked every camera footage of traffic signal to know where the vehicle further went. The police contacted the owner of the vehicle to get more information about it. The owner said that he lost his car few weeks back and he hasn’t received any news about it till now. Days went by and no sign of the vehicle or the person behind this. The minds behind it were the group of thieves and a driver. They were not like ordinary thieves but more like masterminds. They needed a distraction so that the police units start to investigate more routes and cameras. The car was still with them and hidden near the Grover street within a blind spot. There plan was to rob a jewellery store where people constantly come and go. To do a heist without threating anyone inside the store, it feels impossible but they will make it look easy. The old couples store was not open for months. But the damage which was done was quite big. To make it more complicate for the police, the driver of the group assembled the car, with the duplicated plate number which was left behind. After 3 days they made a hit at a toy store located near the previous hit. It was the same car, the same plate number and the same time when it took place. The police were not able to help themselves but the group left behind a clue. This time the police found their way to the blind spot but all they found was a note, neither the car nor anyone else. The note said, “Beware”. Now the CIA wanted to take part in this. Believing that the masterminds are making it difficult for themselves. Now the whole town plus the outskirts are covered with police check points. Only emergency vehicles and forces could come without checking. A day went by and the heist was getting closer. The plan to rob the jewellery store was simple but impossible in these situations. The police now had coverage of every signal and of every road. The vulnerable places like Museums, Banks, Churches with antique relics were under tight security. The town had faced these situations in past but Police could never solve them. The town and its people offered what the masterminds needed. The masterminds knew the timings of every police checking point. They did their calculation every day. The main part was the shipment of the store. The jewellery and the diamonds come in a truck which is heavily guarded with arms and guards. These trucks were checked only at entry point of the city but not during exit. Their route and time was constant. The day came as planned It was Friday around 12 noon and was raining cats and dogs. A blue sports car stopped at the kerb. A beautiful lady and a stocky man came out of it. The jeweller saw them approaching his shop. He excitedly started getting ready precious pieces of diamonds to show the new prospects. When the couple entered, the jeweller greeted them with all his gratitude and respect. There were already a couple present in the shop who were taking their time to choose the right piece for their anniversary. After looking at all the pieces, the lady gave a note to the jeweller. The Jeweller glanced at the note and started perspiring. Everything changed from that moment. From dripping ecstasy now, he started living in mental distress. He looks toward the other couple and realised that this all is part of the heist. The thieves had a window of 10 minutes. Till then they had to change their personality and collect as much as they could. They had a small window because the shipment would come. It contained the real treasure and it was the reason behind the heist. Now in the store there are 4 people beside the harassed jeweller. The jeweller was gagged and hand cuffed. He is kept in a store room with his servant who was already there. They have to play a role that it does not seems suspicious to guards when they get there. The clothes were exchanged. The stocky man took on the role of the jeweller whereas the husband became the servant. Both the ladies played their part as customers for rings and pieces. The shipment arrives on time. 2 guards enter with 4 briefcases attracting all the attention towards it. Guards asked for a glass of water, one of the guards shared his view on the sports car parked outside. To make it friendly, the beautiful lady told him about the car and it’s worth. After taking signature on the consignment note and handing possession of the briefcase the guards left the shop. They erased all the security footage of the store. They now had enough time to collect the diamonds and precious jewellery. Once everything was put in the car, they started their journey towards the blind spot. While leaving they left some money at the places where they hit previously. Now they did want the police to know about the empty jeweller store as the timing of the police units to check it was about to come. A day before the heist the driver sold stolen car to a boy, who was in desperately in need of a car and asked him to pay next day at the jewellery store. The police witnessed the plate number and the car. The moment he made his turn toward the store, the police blockade the car and apprehended him. This made them easier to leave the town as the main car was found outside a robbery. The people gathered near the street. The old couples and the manager of the toy store got informed. When they both came out, they saw a stack of money in a bag and with a note which said, “Thank you”

. Another successful robbery.

 Another fail attempt.

THE END.

July 12, 2020 08:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

06:41 Jul 23, 2020

The story is very exciting but a little complicated. Maybe it could be simplified and it would perhaps help if there was more dialogue? Writing dialogue is new to me and I am struggling to "show" rather than "tell".

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.