0 comments

Drama Romance

Eluise tapped her fingers to the beat of the faint music playing in the truck. She peeks over at Maria who was asleep with her chair reclined. Maria’s sleeping form is faced towards Eluise with her knees pulled to her chest. Eluise ensured the road was clear before caressing Maria’s cheek with a gentle touch of her hand. Maria looked stunningly peaceful as she slept.

It brought Eluise back to a few weeks before their drive, the day Maria proposed this move. Eluise received a distress call from her good friend, Dimitri to help at his firm. It was in the small town of Brakenview and he was starting to get attention from the neighboring towns. He needed help to handle the business and pleaded for Eluise’s assistance. He knew she was getting sick of the city and used it to his advantage. However, she was in a serious relationship with Maria that was nearing half a year. She was finally getting Maria to open up to her. She felt like if they were to part she would lose the progress.

Then she remembered that Maria never seemed to be fond of the city life. She would verbally say how she wasn’t a city person on many occasions. There were also times that Eluise would visit Dimitri in the town. It was quaint and serene. Eluise always found her stays relaxing and gratifying. She found herself developing a bit of love for the little piece of the world.

Eluise thought Maria would like the idea of moving together. They were talking about moving in together recently, why couldn’t they also get a change of scenery as well?

Though she thought little of the proposition, Maria gave Eluise a puzzling and unexpected reaction. Maria was compassionate towards Dimitri’s position and was opened to moving with Eluise. Then the town of Brakenview was mentioned and Maria scowled.

Maria didn’t tend to show such strong distaste for anything. Then Brakenview is mentioned and numerous emotions grace her features. She seemed angry, then sad, then blank, then furious, then tears began to form at her eyes. Eluise didn’t know how to react. She never witnessed her girlfriend in such a state. She was motionless and speechless. Then Maria shocked Eluise again with her words.

“I want to move in with you. I’m not going to let that town change anything. I know this might be too much to ask but could we not live in town? If we do I am not going near any of the doors and windows or talking to anyone.” Maria expressed with a quiver in her voice.

“Baby, if you don’t want to go then we are not going.” Eluise attempted to console her.

“No, Dimitri needs help and you deserve a different pace. I might despise the place but it’s not going to keep me away from you.” Maria tried to promise with the uncertainty still evident in her tone.

Eluise knew it was futile to get Maria to change her mind. Maria was stubborn and this situation just made her more so.

“Okay, but if you can’t stay there you need to tell me. We’ll go and I’ll call someone else for Dimitri.” Eluise assured her lover as she pulled her into an embrace.

Maria wrapped her arms around Eluise to enjoy the warm arms of her girlfriend. She leaned her head on Eluise’s shoulder. Eluise leaned her cheek on Maria’s head as they stood there holding each other. Eluise knew there was something plaguing Maria’s thoughts, but she knew to let Maria come to her at her own pace.

Weeks had passed and they were a few miles away from their new place of residence. Maria has still yet to tell Eluise the reason for her hatred of the simple town. This just escalated Eluise’s concern. Was it really a matter so severe that she couldn’t even talk about it? There were times when Maria tried, but she would get choked up and apologize. Normally Eluise found this type of behavior tedious, but not in Maria’s case. Eluise felt like she could wait years or life times as long as Maria truly considered herself ready to share.

When she found the dirt path that led to their new house, Eluise brought out her phone to call Dimitri. As the line rang she turned into the path. The car shook on the coarse path. Now she knew why Dimitri strongly advised her to get a truck. Maria groaned as the rough ride woke her from her nap.

“Sorry love, Dimwit didn’t tell me how bad the path was.” Eluise apologized.

“I-I-It’s-s-s o-o-o-k-kay-ay-i-i.” Maria sleepily reassured with her voice bouncing with the truck.

“Hey Lulu. You turn in?” Dimitri asked from the other side of the line.

“Yup. I officially get the truck.” Eluise confirmed.

Dimitri laughed on the other end. “Aren’t you happy you got the truck now?”

“Very.” Eluise answered with a chuckle.

“Well you should see the moving truck and my truck. Moved in most of the furniture with the movers and Phreyphrey started helping after school.” Dimitri relayed.

“Dad, I told you not to call me that around people!” Eluise heard Dimitri’s son Humphrey complain in the background.

“It’s only Aunt Lulu and Riri.” Dimitri informed.

“The movers are still here!” He protested.

“There he goes being 10.” Dimitri chuckled.

Eluise and Maria snickered together as they got closer to the house.

“Okay we are pulling up, see you in a bit.” Eluise told Dimitri.

“Okay, see ya.” Dimitri replied before the call ended.

They found the house with a moving truck and a beat up Toyota truck. Eluise parked in the open garage space where Dimitri was waving her in. Eluise pulled the truck in and parked. She gave Dimitri a thumbs up before he returned the gesture and went back in the house.

“Okay, we are finally here. It’s never going to be too late to leave.” Eluise told Maria.

“You don’t need to keep telling me that, but thanks.” Maria thanked with a small smile.

“It’s because I don’t know much about the situation, but I want you to remember that you can talk to me.” Eluise tells her while taking Maria’s hand in hers.

“I’m sorry.” Maria apologized. “I know I should tell you, but-” She couldn’t finish.

“Hey, it’s fine.” Eluise cooed at Maria turned her face away. “You can take all the time you need.” Eluise ensured as she brought Maria’s hand to her lips.

“It’s not fair to you though.” Maria sullenly argues.

“If I can handle three and a half years stuck in the friend zone I can handle anything.” Eluise joked.

Maria’s lips curled before a giggle escaped her lips. A smile formed on Eluise’s face as she took in the sight and sound. She pulled Maria’s face towards her own. When Maria’s eyes met hers, Eluise let her smile widen. Maria followed suit as they stared at each other lovingly. They brought their lips together and shared a gentle yet passionate kiss. Both of them trying to pull the other as close as possible. Fighting to convey their feelings for the other. When they pulled away their smiles brightened. Neither of them able to get rid of the smiles as they locked eyes again.

Then they heard laughter from outside the car. When they turned they couldn’t resist laughter of their own. Dimitri was in front of the car with Humphrey. Dimitri was pretending to gag and vomit as Humphrey held a bucket up laughing. Eluise rolled her eyes at her friend’s antics. Then she opened the window.

“You’re just jealous!” She teased Dimitri who feigned hurt.

“If you know then stop rubbing it in my face!” He proclaimed as he brought a hand to his chest.

“Then you should have said yes to Ms. Mervy.” Humphrey commented.

Dimitri covered his son’s mouth. Eluise smirked with a raised eyebrow at her friend who was running away with his son.

“I’ll get him to talk!” Maria perkily volunteered before quickly jumping out of the truck to chase Dimitri.

Eluise shook her head at her beautiful Maria. She took her time with the truck since she knew that Maria would succeed in catching their elusive friend.

It’s been a few days since Eluise and Maria moved in. Life was going as smooth as it could. Eluise has started to work at Dimitri’s firm and is handling 2 simple cases. Compared to her workload in the city, she had more down time than she knew what to do with. She discussed the case with her client and still had time to spare before she promised Maria she would return. She decided to take a walk through town.

It was slow and quiet compared to busy bustling cities she was used to. Eluise always felt at ease when she walked around town. She just wished Maria could feel the same way. Maria mentioned that her feelings for the town were influenced by her family, but nothing else. Eluise was grateful for the minor detail, it meant Maria trusted her. She still wanted to see Maria smile more.

When the scent of freshly baked bread permeated the air, she got a great idea to cheer her sweet Maria up. She entered the bakery with the dinging of a bell on the door.

“Welcome to Brioche and Rye. You came just in time, boss is pulling out fresh loaves.” A worker at the counter greeted. “I can grab the bread you are looking for from the back.” He offered.

“Smells great like all the other times I pass this place, just never quite got the time to come by since moving in.” Eluise complimented.

“Really? Did you move into town?” The teenage boy inquired.

Before Eluise could answer the door bursted open. A panting young man came running in. He went straight to the counter to catch his breath.

“Where’s…hot…cross…buns?” He asked between breaths.

“Fresh batch.” The teenager answered.

He jumped on the counter to take a seat.

“I just cleaned that counter.” The teenager grumbled as he grabbed a water bottle and handed it to the older individual. Eluise went to peruse the shelves on her own. The bakery was small so she could hear their conversation whether she wanted to or not.

“Thought you were going for a run?” The teenager asked.

“Yeah, but then I think I saw a ghost.” He said.

“You on the verge of heat stroke?” The boy deadpanned.

“I swear! Don’t laugh at me kid!” The man whined.

“Okay what did you see?” The boy gave in.

Eluise made her way to the front of the shop.

“I think I saw his sister.” The man muttered to the teenager.

The teenager was taken aback at the man’s words. Eluise excused herself for interrupting their conversation. The teen flashed a boyish smile.

“I’m sorry about that.” He apologized.

Eluise saw that his name tag read ‘Martin.’

“No worries, Martin. You think I could get some brioche and rye?” She asked.

“Of course! I’ll be right back with those.” Martin complied. “Oh quick question, cinnamon raisin or pumpkin spice and seed bread?” He inquired.

Eluise tilted her head at the question.

“Call it a late housewarming gift for moving into town. They’re my boss’s signature loaves.” Martin smiled.

“Oh. You don’t need to.” Eluise tried.

“Come on, you can’t live here without trying one of Blake’s signature loaves. I guarantee that you will get addicted from just the smell. If you can’t get enough I could always use a running buddy.” He smirked.

Eluise looked at the grinning men just giving her their insistent gazes. Then she gave in.

“Fine, the cinnamon raisin, please.” Eluise picked.

Martin triumphantly trotted to the back for the bread as the other man jumped down from the counter.

“Great choice. I’m Kaleb, I’m married to Blake.” The man beamed as he stretched his hand out.

“Eluise. I’m here with my girlfriend to help a friend out with his law firm.” She elaborated as she shook his hand.

“You’re a friend of Dimitri? I’m Humphrey’s teacher.” Kaleb explained.

“Small town.” Eluise chortled.

“Extremely.” Kaleb agreed. “ So where are you staying?” He asked.

“Outside of town, the two story with the rusting metal fence.” She described.

“That’s where I saw the ghost!” Kaleb exclaimed.

“Can you shut up? You know he doesn’t like talking about her.” Martin hissed.

“Well my girlfriend stays home all the time and she hasn’t said anything about a ghost.” Eluise shrugged.

“Maybe that’s who you saw.” Martin pointed out.

“Wait, why is she staying home?” Kaleb prodded.

“She’s an author and not much of a people person.” Eluise answered.

“Really what’s her name?” Kaleb inquired.

“Maria Blakes.” Eluise replied.

“Isn’t that Blake’s favorite author?” Martin looked at Kaleb.

“No kidding! We have to do dinner.” Kaleb pressed as he leaned closer to Eluise.

Eluise leaned back. “Um, that.”

“Kaleb, she’s uncomfortable.” A new voice said.

Eluise found the source of the voice. She couldn’t help but freeze as she studied the man in front of her. He had a similar facial structure to Maria’s as well as the same eyes and nose. He also had the same thick straight brown hair. He even cocked his eyebrow and pursed his lips the same way she would.

“I’m sorry about him, he can be nosy.” The younger man apologized.

Eluise shook her head before extending her hand. “No worries, Eluise Hewit.”

The man smiled and took her hand to shake.

“Blake Vantril-Chamber. Nice to meet you and thanks for your patronage.” He expressed.

“Anytime. I better get going my girlfriend is waiting for me.” She lied.

She nodded her head as she left the bakery. Then she raced for her truck.

When Eluise got back Maria was in the shower. As she thought of a way to bring up Blake she toasted some of the cinnamon raisin bread. It’s Maria’s favorite.

“What smells so good?” Maria moaned from the doorway of the kitchen.

“Fresh bread from a bakery in town. They had your favorite.” Eluise answered while fishing the hot toast out of the toaster.

“You are the best.” Maria praised as her mouth watered.

Eluise grabbed a cool piece and held it to Maria’s mouth. Maria didn’t hesitate to partake in the offered food. After the first bite she was motionless. She brought her hand to her mouth as she chewed.

“Who was the baker?” Maria whispered.

“Blake Vantril-Chamber.” Eluise responded.

Maria swallowed hard at the name.

“So he’s back here too.” She spoke to herself.

“Care to share?” Eluise put out.

Eluise got quiet as her expression sunk. She took a few deep breaths before speaking.

“He’s my baby brother.” She admitted.

Maria fiddled with her fingers as she searched for the courage to finally tell Eluise everything. She saw the rest of the cinnamon raisin loaf on the island.

“We’re gonna need more toast.” Maria told her girlfriend.

It happened when Maria was 17, when she went by Brianna Vantril. Her twin sister Mariah was the more charismatic one as well as their parents’ favorite. She brought home all the achievements while Brianna was only good in English and spent most of her time in the kitchen baking bread with 8 year old Blake. One night, Mariah dragged Brianna to watch a movie with her friends in the next town. On the way home they got into an accident.

Mariah died protecting Brianna from most of the impact. When she told her parents they blamed her. They resented her and told the rest of the town that it was her fault. They painted her as a crazy underage drinker and drug user. They said she drove that night when she really didn’t.

Brianna was bullied and ridiculed by the entire town. Everybody called her a murderer and the kids at school took turns beating her up and using her. She only had Blake. Blake was the only one who listened to her side. He was the one who treated her wounds and made sure she ate through her depression. He was the one who told her to leave. She didn’t even wait to graduate she just left.

Eluise held her through it all. Every detail that made Maria whimper and shiver. She listened to every awful memory. She did notice, however, that Maria would smile when she talked about Blake and Mariah. By the time they finished their limbs were tangled and Maria refused to take her head out from Eluise’s neck.

September 17, 2020 08:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.