1 comment

Fantasy Suspense Fiction

I've never seen the light of day. I'm not sure what the birds sing about. I don't know what the smell of oak trees are. The feeling of soft moss growing on the tall pine trees. The taste of wild berries. I have never seen the planet known as the Earth. I was born in a spaceship, a whole civilization of people who, too, have never been to or seen the lifeless planet. Since that day...

I'm only 16 years of age. Now, I do have a family, however, the ship segregates each member by age.

Little babies (newborn-2 years)

Children (3 years-12 years)

Teenagers (13-19 years)

Adults (20+)

I've never met my mom, nor dad. If I even have any... I never met anyone that is related to me. It's hard.. I don't know anyone here. I feel, alone.

I've been following the rules for years. Not one time have I been in trouble by the Galactic Guardians. They are scary when it comes to rule following.. If you do anything that is even in the slightest of wrong, you'll get your ass in an escape pod and go back to Earth...

We were never told what exactly happened. They just told us that Earth is a dreadful place. So much dangerous creatures. Horrid water serpents lurking beneath the waters. Their exact words, "the perfect punishment"

I've never seen one person come back to the HQ who was told to be sent there.

That was my life...

One day changed it all... All I did was accidentally push some girl down. I just needed to use the bathroom. Next thing you know, I'm in the dreadful pod... I was tossed in by the guards.. I never thought I'd get here... I wish I could go back in time and just avoided this... So I thought..

That ride to the abandoned planet was only an hour away (by ship) but it felt like I were there for ages. There's no opening to see the glistening stars in the sky. I feel like I'm trapped. What did I do to deserve this?

I feel the pod shaking, at first like a nice little shimmy dance performed by the pod. I got a little nervous. I didn't really start getting extreme panic until I felt the pod going faster and faster approaching the ground as the moment felt like it was in slow motion. I braced for impact. I may not see the ground, all I need to know is that this was it... I'm never going to see the bright stars again...

It went black, it was silent. I opened my eyes ever so slowly. I just froze.. Should I open the doors? Should I stay.... Should I-

TTSSSSSSSSSS

All four of the walls bloom open like a graceful rose. I thought I would die right then and there.. To my surprise, I was surrounded by humans... They surrounded the shuttle, staring at me in awe.

I just stared at them back..

They all looked so.. Happy?

It's so roomy, and lively.. It was beautiful..

"where are we?" I asked

"why, you're on Planet Earth" a survivor says with a smile

I sat there, confused

It was nothing like what the Galactic Guardians explained at all. They said it would be nothing but a monstrosity. No life, No clean air, no plants or food... Nothing but a lifeless planet.

One thing I have noticed at this moment... On this planet, we aren't alone, the people who just told us the harsh fantasy, came to be the beautiful reality. It may not always be that way, but it was a beginning, my beginning of my new life.

I broke down, I cried until I couldn't anymore, I was just so relieved.

This couple pushed through the crowd of people to see the newest member of the family. They seemed to be the leaders.. They looked like me...

They give me a look that I will never forget, hope.

They looked at each other in shock and I could just feel the happiness radiate off of them.

They just ran up to be and hugged me... I didn't know who they were, I was tense. They called me a weird name, I was confused, what are these crazy people talking about?

They shown me pictures of a baby, a woman holding the baby was the lady who walked up to me. Next to her in the picture was a man, that was next to the same lady. They both were in the picture.. I didn't trust them.. until i saw the baby... I was me.. It looked exactly like me...I couldn't believe it it was my family! I never thought I would meet them. They were sent to this Planet because of me. They've never felt more thankful that i came into this universe. They've lived her for 16 years...all because of me.

That day on I never felt better. I wasted my life on a ship that just was fearful to what happened and if it will happen again. I still don't know what happened, but I'm damn sure that this was my life, and I am never going back to that stupid ship.

One thing I'll never forget is that I don't have to live in fear anymore. The little mistakes that happen there, is shipped down to paradise. And if this is a punishment... This is truly the perfect punishment.

I just wish that the citizens that lived in that hell hole knew how wonderful this place really is.

All of my life, I've been living in fear because of the theories on the Planet. I may have lived my life feeling hopeless, but I have found myself here. Now I can say that I've seen the light of day. The bird's beautiful song. I know what the oak trees smell like. The touch of the soft moss growing on the pine tree's bark. And the taste of sweet, sweet wild berries.

January 30, 2021 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Melina Verhoff
21:42 Feb 02, 2021

this was inspired by a Netflix series called "The 100" this one doesn't have any secrets, this one i just wanted to write for fun and share with the public. I may not be super popular or known on here very well, but I strive to be the best writer everyday

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.