0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

The cliffs right next to Santorini have always had an eerie feel to them that allures you more and more as the tide rises and falls. I tilt my head over to look at the water that rages almost just as much as I’ve been ever since I lost Castor, right over this cliff. The sound of his voice was almost as slick as the water that has been taking bits and bits off these cliffs for centuries; why did he have to go when these rocks are still here? Why did he promise forever without the warning that forever is only a couple of years? I pick up a rock that lies next to me and it suddenly becomes the most interesting thing until I throw it as far as I can into the wicked grim-like ocean.

“You did this to me!” I screamed at the unknowingness of the sea.

Did the ocean love him so much that it took him away from me? The air was a thick fog that laid heavy in my lungs as I stood there, water splashed all over my white dress without care. My eyes felt as if there were hooks attached to them with three-hundred-pound weights. I rub my face and start to go to another cliff that is farther down and is only about three feet from the water. The rocks are tricky and slippery but I manage to keep myself from falling until a sharp rock slices my right hand causing me to fall back onto the cliff I was trying to get to.

For a moment I lay there in pain with the water caressing my face like tears. I get up from the stones that press hard against my skin to stand towards the edge of the cliff where the water is so close you can taste it. While taking a deep breath, I sit down with my knees bent under me and look straight ahead at the foggy waves from a distance. The sound of the waves slapping the surface of the rock gets my attention so I start to observe the pitch blue ocean and Mother Nature's fine work. The water begins to bubble so I tilt my head over the small cliff. A hand slipped elegantly out of the water causing me to jump backward and onto my back. The hand waves for me to go over to it but it takes me a few seconds to process what stands before me. I grab the mysterious hand with my bloody one; the red blood that was dripping from my right hand is now dripping with a thick golden substance. Before I can pull away, I am whisked into the water by the hand. 

My eyes are closed and my dress is floating all around me, a bright light is seen through my eyelids so I decide to open them. That’s when I saw him, Castor. His bright hair was dancing around his face and his eyes looked at me with that glaze he puts on so well. I cover my mouth and want to gasp but I know better than to do that underwater. Castor takes my hands off my mouth.

“Breathe.” He says while looking into my eyes.

I scrunch my face, looking at him hesitantly, and then inhale. The water immediately replaces the air that is left in my lungs which makes me cover my mouth again in shock. Castor stares at me lovingly with a small smile on the side of his lips and grabs my hands once again. He leads me deeper down into the water to a place with rocks that almost look like towers that form a circle. Castor turns to see the curiosity and wonder plastered on my face and he smiles even brighter. He leads me to the middle of the circle where the rocks tower over us, enclosing us in our own underwater ballroom. The same hand that pulled me into the water, extends my way for me to dance; I look at my own and notice how the cut is gone. I give him my hand and he pulls me in securely. As we are standing there hands locked and bodies swaying, his hums radiate off of the rocks in a way that sounds like other people are singing along with him. It feels as majestic as my dress looks while flowing behind me with every movement. 

I suddenly put my hands on his shoulder and push myself away from him. 

“This doesn’t make any sense,” I say to him while looking around at my surroundings.

His face becomes sorrowful as he watches me. My eyes find their way to the floor because looking at him becomes almost painful with that expression on his face. Castor takes my hand in his and squeezes them tight while pulling me into his embrace.

“I’m sorry, Evangeline.” he whispers against my cheek.

 I bury myself closer to him forgivingly. We close our eyes to have the illusion of us for eternity. Our forever was once again interrupted but this time it was by something bellowing behind the rocks. Castor immediately stands in front of me but we soon realize that that won’t be enough when we see shadow-like specimens with angry glowing eyes. I look around to see a specific shadow holding a crown while making its way towards us. Castor’s rugged eyes turn to me with desperation and despair. I part my lips but before I can speak, he holds my waist and bends over to kiss me; I close my eyes with this form of affection. 

When I open my eyes I am back on the small cliff once again. My eyebrows scrunch and the realization of where I am, once again, makes my heart plummet into my stomach. I jumped up to curse at the ocean once again but all I got in return was the sound of pulsing waves and ships in the distance.  I remember my hand and what Castor did to it so I hold it up to see that the cut is gone.

August 27, 2021 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.