0 comments

Fiction Mystery

         In the small town of Kenusea, in western Canada, is a variety store located in the center of Main Street. No one really knows how long the store has been there, but rumor has it that it’s been there since time immemorial. The store has always been owned by someone of the Seers family. It’s not just the locals who shop there. Kenusea is a holiday resort which offers camping, fishing, hiking, horseback riding and a variety of water sports. During the busy season the owners of the variety store will see a huge jump in sales. And, in the non-busy season the store still keeps up a brisk trade. The locals know that the displays in the window are changed weekly, so there is always someone peering in the window.

      There was a rumor that some people have had unexpected experiences when looking in the window. One such story was when the resident hobo/drinker looked in and then just sat on the sidewalk crying. No one was able to console him, so the owner called the police, who, of course, took him to the police station so he could sober up; but he wasn’t drunk at the time. The police officer sat him in a cell (unlocked) and called the priest. After a long talk with the hobo, the priest told the officer that the hobo definitely was not drunk, but was adamant that when he looked in the window of the variety shop that he saw the tragedy that occurred to his family two years ago. It scared him, and of course, upset him. The priest got the impression that the hobo still blames himself for the tragedy, even though he wasn’t home at the time and then he was not a drinker. The priest suggested that he be let go and he would take him for a meal. The officer agreed.

      Then there was the incident concerning the waitress from the local café, she had tripped and lost her watch. Many people came out to help her look, but it was never found. A few days later, on her way to work the waitress looked in the window and saw herself falling, and also saw her watch, quite clearly. She looked in the area where she saw it in the window and sure enough, there was her watch. It was still weeks later that her customers were talking about it.

      And then there was that time when during spring break, some college students from the nearby city came for some skiing. Two of the girls were strolling down Main Street when one of them stopped to look into the window. She gave a gasp, and then turned around in time to grab her friend’s jacket. Her friend was about to fall onto the road at the time a pick-up truck had lost control and would have run her over. The student later told her friend that it was when she looked in the window that she saw the truck coming and that she was grabbing her friend’s jacket. 

      At another time there was a brother and sister window shopping with their parents when their parents stopped to chat with friends. The brother and sister were looking in the shop window when they both saw their mother holding a baby. The sister tugged at her mother’s coat excitedly saying, “Mommy, mommy you’re going to have a baby.” Her husband and the friends they were talking with stopped and looked at the mother and daughter with a look of surprise. “Where did you see mommy with a baby?” the father asked. Both the brother and sister pointed to the shop window. Everyone looked in but only saw the window display of toys. “I don’t see your mommy with a baby,” says the daddy. “Are you sure it was your mother?” “It really was,” announces the brother. “She was standing really close to the window. We could tell it was her by her unusual glasses.” “Well, honey, what do you think?” the father says to his wife. “It was going to be a surprise,” replies his wife. “But it seems like I have some news to share. I am pregnant. I wanted tell you first then we would tell the kids together.” “That’s wonderful news, don’t you think, kids?” asks their father. “You are going to have a brother or sister.” “It will be a girl,” says the daughter. “The baby was wrapped in a pink blanket.” “Wow, I can’t believe you both saw this in that window. It must be a magic window,” states their mother. “How about we go home and discuss a name for your sister”  I like Lisa calls the daughter as they walk ahead of their parents. “You can’t name her that, it’s your name,” announced her brother. “But I like it,” pouts Lisa. “Mom!” “Like mom said, let’s wait until we get home,” mentions their father.

      The next day their mother goes into the store to talk to the owner. “Mr. Seer, nice to meet you,” states the mother. “Yesterday my husband and children and I were passing your store when my kids looked in the window and saw me holding a baby girl. I hadn’t told anyone, even my husband that I was pregnant. This may sound weird, but is your window magical?”

      “I can’t say that it’s magical,” replies Mr. Seer. “But I have had people over the years come in and tell me of unusual experiences they have had, and they asked me the same question. All I can say is, not that I know of. I do know there is a history of this window but only my parents know the full story. Sadly, my father has passed away but my mother who is 97 years old would know. She has Alzheimer’s and is currently living in a care home.” “Would you be able to ask her?” asks the mother. “Actually, I will be visiting her this Sunday, and if I feel she is lucid, then I will ask her,” answers Mr. Seer. “I really do appreciate this, but don’t go to any trouble,” states the mother. “Can I stop by the shop on Monday?” “Yes, you can,” replies Mr. Seer. “See you then.”

      As the mother exited the shop, she turned back and looked in the window. She could not believe what she saw. She smiled and went home.

June 10, 2021 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.