0 comments

American Adventure Fantasy

  The car ride was much longer than she had initially anticipated. Avery had known it would drag on, seeing as the morose driver didn’t seem like the chatty type. She also knew there was a lengthy distance between the orphanage and her newest foster home, if she could call it that; place of employment seemed more realistic. This family had no claim on her other than her name on the payroll. As she propped her face against her hand, she couldn’t help but wonder what they would be like. 

  Sister Bethany wasn’t all too forthcoming on the details of her relocation, but what she did mention was enough to get her moving. Though she had been at Saint Margaret’s Orphanage for most of her life, she knew from a young age that it wasn’t a permanent home. So when she was called into her office, Avery had been prepared for the worst. Only an emergency would come between the nun and her early morning reading. Especially on a Saturday. 

  Avery recalled the nun’s slight fidgeting and lack of eye-contact as she explained, “Avery, dear, you know we all love you here—” 

  Lies. If she was so ‘loved,’ why did she always end up eating alone? Walking alone? Always alone? 

  “But you’ll be eighteen in but a few weeks; you of all people should understand what that means—” 

  Her only friend, forced to go with an uncaring foster family to get her out of their hair. 

  “Fortunately, we’ve located a… splendid opportunity for you.”  Sister Bethany’s slight pause both worried and intrigued her. 

    She had been silent throughout the sister’s speech, anxiety eating her voice, but Avery decided now was the time to speak up. “How splendid, Sister?”

  At the sound of her voice, the nun’s restlessness seemed to lessen somewhat, most likely mistaking her curiosity for eagerness. “The Lord has blessed you, dear girl. There’s a very wealthy family in dire need of a maid. You would have room and board, a decent salary, and a life of your own. Doesn’t that sound like perfection? I put in a good word to my superiors, sharing your domestic skills, and they have chosen you. Isn’t that wonderful?” Her smile stretched so far across her face it seemed painful. 

  Honestly, it seemed like a dream come true. Almost too good to be true. But Avery was not one to question a blessing when it was presented to her. “It sounds lovely, Sister.” She paused, looking down at the steepled hands clenched in her lap to hide the grin she felt growing on her face. Cooking, cleaning, and reading brought her the solace she craved. Now she would be getting paid for it.“When should I leave?” It was still early morning, and she hoped to be rid of this place today.

  “As soon as you’re able.” The nun squinted at the clock over the fireplace. “Your transport should be here within the hour. The manor is a long way from the hustle and bustle of city life—even one as small as ours—so the trip will be long, but the countryside will be well worth the miles travelled. And be sure to give them this,” she handed her a sealed letter. A recommendation, she assumed. The older woman looked at her, her smile much thinner now as she gestured to the door, letting Avery know that she had no more to say.

  As Avery reached for the knob, she stilled when a sudden, burning question entered her mind. “Sister?”

  The nun didn’t look up. “Yes, dear?”  

  “What is the family’s name?”

  There was only a slight hesitation. “Sakami.” Letting that sink in, she returned to her morning read with a breezy, “Have a safe journey, dear. God bless you.”

  And here she was, staring out the car window, watching the trees zoom past. The sun was low in the sky, and the growing darkness of the clouds—rain clouds, she guessed—made it look later in the day than it was. She loved the rain but hated thunderstorms. Nature was beautiful, but what is beautiful one moment can be terrifying in the next. Silently, she prayed, Lord, please let me get there soon. Her prayer was answered differently than expected as her eyelids grew heavy. The remaining hours of the trip melted away as Avery drifted into the most restful sleep she’d had in a long time.

  She was jostled from her nap by the car coming to a complete stop. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, a gasp flew from her mouth when she saw the house—no, the mansion—outside her window. No wonder they need a maid. I can’t imagine the upkeep this place needs. Laughing quietly to herself, she closed her eyes and leaned back against the leather seats. “This should be interesting,” Avery muttered. Sliding open one eye, she noticed the driver steadily watching her from the rearview. Not knowing what to say, she smiled slightly at him, hoping it would convey what her voice could not.

  “You are the new maid.”

  Avery jolted lightly at the sudden rough sound of the man’s voice. She opened her mouth to reply, but he hadn’t really asked her a question, only stating a fact he must’ve already known. She nodded. “Yes, sir. I’m Avery Kemp.”

  He barely blinked. “My name is Felix, Ms. Avery. I will take you wherever you may need to go. Now that there is another woman in the house, Ms. Yui may want to accompany you.”

  Little did she know how much she was in for at the Sakamaki manor. A family made up of six brothers, all under a supernatural persuasion; rejected by God. They followed a demonic presence. Their sire was not of man, but of vampire; ageless and beautiful. 

  The car come to a complete stop in front of the most beautiful mansion Avery had ever seen. The door itself took up a quarter of the front of the manor. So ornate, she thought to herself. 

  “Here you are, Ms. Avery,” Felix said quietly. As she turned to open the door, he grabbed her arm with a steady, strong hand. “Be careful, Ma’am. Not everything is what it seems. Be mindful, be wise, and don’t trust anyone. Especially the boys. They will tell you everything you want to hear. Don’t forget what I’ve told you. Good luck, Ma’am. God be with you.” 

  Avery just looked at his dark eyes in the rear view. She could tell he meant exactly what he said. “Thank you, Felix. You’ve been very kind to me. Thank you for the wise words. God bless you.” And with a nod of his head, she exited the long, black vehicle and walked her and her small, blue suitcase up to the large door. 

  Before she could knock, the doors opened slow and wide, welcoming here with an inviting warmth of the chandelier that lightened the large carpeted staircase and long entryway. She took a deep breath and waltzed inside, her suitcase rolling behind her.

  “Hello? … is anyone home?” She whisper-yelled into the echo chamber of a house. Her voice bounced off the marble walls. 

  She looked around, taking note of couches and chairs and tables strewn across the floor. Candles lined the walls, the marble columns sat tall and large before her. “This feels more like a mausoleum than a home,” Avery whispered.

  “You wouldn’t be wrong, you know.” 

  Avery gasped, turning around to find a large man with blonde hair, blue eyes trained solely on her. He was laying across a couch that she had initially thought was empty.

  “You must be the new maid. We’ve been expecting you. Took your time getting here, though. As expected of Felix. Probably warned you about my brothers. He sees us as ‘inhuman.’ What a bunch of bullshit. He doesn’t know a thing about us.” He sat up, his long arms draped over his long legs. “You’ll meet Yui and the rest of my brothers soon. I’m just the welcoming committee. Name’s Katsuki Sakami. I’m the eldest brother. I’d get up and shake your hand, but frankly, I don’t think you’ll last long enough for me to learn your name. I give you three days; a week at most.” 

  His deep blue eyes looked her up and down. His piercing stare made her feel naked. As an almost-adult, she felt like her entire being was under a microscope. He was gorgeous, just like Felix said he would be. I wonder if they’re all as beautiful as Katsuki, she thought to herself.

  She didn’t see the small smirk that grew on Katsuki’s lips, almost as if he could read her mind. Which, in actuality, he could. As a child of an undead sire, he had special abilities. Mind reading was a drop in the bucket. He could manipulate anyone to feel anyway he wanted. But for some reason, he didn’t feel the need to manipulate this one. She had an old scent, like she was a fallen Angel, someone not human, like himself. She gave off a light that was almost blinding. But she was so beautiful to him. He wanted her the moment he saw her. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. 

  Her long red hair and grey-blue eyes drew him in. “Who are you?” He asked quietly, not expecting her to hear him.

  She smiled. “My name is Avery. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Sakami.”

  His smirk only grew at her response. “The pleasure is all mine I’m sure, Ms. Avery.”

  She shook her head and held up a hand. “Please, just call me Avery. I’m your maid, not nobility.” She laughed lightly with closed eyes and a small smile. 

  Beautiful was the only word that came to Katsuki’s mind. They can’t have this one, he thought to himself. This one is all mine. She’s too bright to fall for their bullshit. She’s smart, this one. And she has to be mine; her light offsets my darkness. Her soul is so strong. God is with this one. She is protected. 

  She stopped smiling for a moment and saw him eyeing her in a different way than before. Before it was assessing, now it was like he was checking her out. It felt odd. Avery had never been “checked out” before. She lived in a nunnery; male attention was very foreign. But she didn’t dislike it.

  “Well, now that we’re on a first name basis, where should I put my things?” Avery asked lightly, hoping to cut the palpable tension in the air. 

  He blinked and smiled lightly, different from his usual smirk. “Oh, the staff will take of that.” As he said those words, a skeletal butler emerged from the shadows and took her bag from her hand. 

  Avery gasped lightly and watched him disappear into a darkened hallway, going to wherever her room may be. “Oh! Wow… I’ve never seen someone like… that. He didn’t even look… I don’t know… alive?” She shrunk into herself as she spoke her thoughts aloud. 

  Her mental illness prevented her from having an inner monologue. Every thought she had came out of her mouth. Unfortunately, no filter existed between her brain and her mouth. It made forming bonds and relationships that much more difficult. But Katsuki was different. He seemed interested in her, whether platonic or romantic. 

  “I’m really in for it, aren’t I?” She mumbled to herself. 

  “Oh, darling… you have no idea.” 

March 25, 2022 17:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.