Dame of Flora and Fauna

Submitted into Contest #143 in response to: Write about a character who loves cloud gazing. ... view prompt

0 comments

Speculative Fantasy Science Fiction

Dearest Tome,

   My Composer has gifted you to me to log my lifetime. It said you’re a place I may come to for solidarity, for at times it may be difficult to find. I have found that my favorite thing to do whilst I add more life and history to you is watch the ever changing clouds very far below me. The Sun feels warmer than usual when I meditate this way. Countless pets who walk upon my land tickle me rather than itch and my heart settles for a while.

   But then the sudden pain of a bomb clutches my kidney. The life of an innocent soul stabs me just as deep as it’s own body encountered. My heart begins to tighten again, growing dreary and resentful.

   At times I burst into tears of sorrow for the damaged and helpless, which seems to bring them a bit of joy. You could say my tears are magic. Other times- ...Most times, I would project my loudest screams and hollers down at them. I would tell them this was for their own good. Their punishment for the way they treat me. I would run through their neighborhoods thrashing certain homes, certain businesses, certain corporations and at times even entire stretches of land; certain ones. My fits of wrath always devastated my pets.

   A long way above the clouds I hear loud echoing and booming of my pets at work. Pets usually believed their choice was for the best but later learned it only ever hurt them. I paid close attention to the voices of the ones who worked to preserve me. Often they would yell or cry to which I always responded with whispers of love and encouragement. Even if they couldn’t hear me. Each time pets cleaned my vast handmade pools or change the law of the land, my heart sang with resistance to the mobocracy which the majority often adopted.

   Truly, how awful could they become? I’ve lived for so long, though. At times I wonder how long I will indeed live for. Won’t their bombs eventually reach my heart? Ought their brimstone melt my ice cold veins?

   You may wonder why I have so many pets. That I do not know the answer. Begetter gives me few secrets of It’s Ways. Perhaps you scratch your head, wondering why I discipline them so. Well, this was one rule my Designer entreated to me long, long...Long ago. I must provide, protect and punish. Which in turn allots some of my pets do the same with even smaller pets of mine.

   Unfortunately putting my pets in charge of the smaller, more vulnerable was a mistake made also long, long ago. My Creator and I had made a joint decision to do so. Now we frowned on our choice. Maybe if Father Time wasn’t so old and forgetful we could change things.

But when the puffy whites of sweet liquid pass me by, the weight of my heavy heart seems to disappear. Momentarily.

   These pets of mine are a peculiar and very unique people. So unique that many other folks beyond myself try desperately to mimic, mate with and at times become violent with my pets. Though these beings which I called Aliens, have technology that far surpasses what my pets possess, I do my best to protect them and myself. Sadly many of my pets have betrayed their own kind and begun assisting these Strangers in their (at times obsessive) experiments.

   Father Time and I had many a conversations over deliciously bright Stars. Sometimes I heard the Star giggling as it went down my throat. Time had told me ever since I was brought into existence that the Stars were once Numen who ruled very, very old worlds. Similar to the ones Him and I now oversee. And when we died we would also become a Star who giggled when The New Gods had us for a snack while they mulled over how each other’s planets were coming along.

   Lately Him and I have been discussing the big plan which our Creator has requested of us. I was to create havoc. The Composer actually told Father to relax a while. It needed Time to pass dreadfully slow. I had snickered at the sound of these requests and the thrill to obey only fueled my storm.

These times came back around every 5 billion years, give or take depending on The Composer’s wishes.

   I started off small by setting fires across my skin and did a lot less crying than customary. When I didn’t shed tears the pets would cry up to me themselves, begging me for just a small handful of my enchanted saline. They would become famished and dreadfully thin. But Begetter made it clear not to give into their pleas; It told me this event was to be called The Cleanse. Soon my favored clouds would no longer pass by, for Begetter told The Sun to sink closer to me in order for my storms and droughts to grow catastrophic.

   Ice started to melt. My small, obedient pets were dying off. This made my heart ache and would have made it freeze with sadness but Sun was much too close for anything to even frost. The rippling heat waves so dense one could feel the weight in their breath. Vision distorted by those feverish wrinkles and salty sweat that stung the eye. There was never a hot breeze and definitely nowhere remotely wintry.

To make some matters worse Moon was told to go into hibernation. This was odd even for me. She and I were very close, always being told to quiet down by The Sun who was trying to sleep.

   Perhaps I ought to share why all of this is so but, my hope is you’ve connected the dots for yourself.

   The Composer communicated with me frequently to keep tabs on everyone’s progress. It made sure Sun moved an inch closer after each time He revolved around me. As you may recall, Father Time’s job was probably the simplest, being directed to sit on His fundament until told otherwise. He did not mind this. Being sure time itself never stopped as well as rewinding or fast forwarding said time, it grew exhausting after so many eons.

   Finally my job you must be familiar with by now. I reek bedlam. I am a doom bringer. Though later on my task will be complete, so that I may return to my true form. The Healer. Dame of Flora and Fauna. See, I may grow angry toward my pets and I may be guided to punish them. Though no matter how harshly I repay them, abandonment or extinction of my pets would not come. For if I did, I would also abandon myself.

Sincerely Yours,

Mother Earth.

April 30, 2022 01:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.