0 comments

Fiction Sad Romance

      How someone’s hand could be so warm was still a mystery to August. Elias’ hand in hers was ever the most comforting thing she’d ever felt, and the sunrise in front of them could barely compare to it’s warmth. She hid her smile behind the sleeve of her hoodie—well, his hoodie. For someone so unkind, he sure treated her like she was the only woman on Earth.

           “Elias?” August murmured, finally speaking up and interrupting the peaceful silence that had engulfed them.

           Elias’ eyes drifted to hers. She could stare into his two differently colored pools of heaven for the rest of her life, she was certain. They were two wildly different colors, one a vibrant golden-hazel and the other a deep brown, almost black. Still, they held the same emotion when he looked at her, and that was all she could ask for.

           “What? Everythin’ alright?” He brought his hand up to hold her cheek, cradling her like glass.

           The widest grin spread across her face. She could ignore the bruises and cuts on his skin, and the calloused fingers that brushed her soft flesh. They were such opposites. It would likely give her mother whiplash if she told her of her relationship with the troublemaker from high school.

           “Thank you for bringing me here.” she hummed, raising her own hand to cover his that still rested on her cheekbone.

           Elias wasn’t a smiler. He didn’t smile much, and when he did it was usually from that twisted pit in his soul that he couldn’t ever seem to escape. The pit that dragged him further and further into darkness and he let it. Still, he managed to fall in love with this girl in front of him and she was the breath of fresh air he’d always needed.

           So, he smiled then.

           Elias was her breath of fresh air, albeit a little thick and sometimes his air made her cough from the smoke-filled darkness that made him up. He was nothing if not toxic, but she always went back to him just like he did to her. Elias never failed to be the most loyal to her existence, her shadow that protected her from the dangers lurking in the streets of Boston.

           “Anytime.”

           The air became cold as a dark cloud found it’s way over the rising sun. It darkened the hill that the two sat on. Elias stood up from his spot in the grass.

           “’Course the weather would ruin somethin’ so good,” he huffed in annoyance, “c’mon. Let’s go get hot chocolate from yer gran.”

           The sunrise had been short-lived, but she appreciated it nonetheless. August stood up from her spot, wiping of her butt, before taking Elias’ outstretched hand while simultaneously giggling at his stubbornly annoyed expression. He wasn’t really upset, she knew that, but this tough guy exterior had to return before they headed back into reality.

           August’s grandmother wasn’t sure what to make up of Elias. He was always weirdly polite to her, like he was trying to be something he wasn’t. Still, she’d gotten used to her bringing him over and it seemed far too late to complain now. Elias’s pierced ears, brow, and nose were a nuisance on occasion, however. Call her old, but she did still believe in her old ways.

           Alas, she never brought it up after the initial meeting where she’d prudishly inquired where August had gotten this boy from. He only responded with an annoyed huff and a roll of his eyes.

           August knew it was still a stiff relationship between him and her grandmother. Oddly enough, though, Elias seemed to like her. It was always his suggestion to go to her grandmother’s ranch (though, she’ll admit that it was likely for her homecooked hot chocolate and pie).

           His hand was firm in August’s as the two approached the house. It was almost like her grandmother had been expecting them on this early morning, because she’d already propped open the front door with her sandal.

           “Look’s like she’s gettin’ the gist of things,” Elias chuckled while his outstretched arm pushed open the door.

           August shook your head with a chuckle, before stepping into the warmth of the place. The soft clanging of dishes in the kitchen could be heard, and the sound added to the homey effect. Elias sucked in a deep breath beside her. She took mental note of the smirk that twitched at the corners of his lips.

           “Smells like breakfast,” he hummed.

           “Take off your shoes before coming inside! I just cleaned!” Gran called from the kitchen as if she sensed the young man about to openly stroll into her house with his muddy boots.

           Elias groaned. He knelt down, untying his laces whilst stubbornly mumbling curses under his breath. August chuckled and kicked off her own shoes. One nearly hit him in the head (which may or may not have been intentional), but he was quick to dodge the incoming sneaker. His ghoulish eyes snapped up to his girlfriend’s smug but pretty grin. His thick brow twitched.

           “What’cha think yer doing there, Gus?” he taunted, standing slowly so he was towering over her.

           August took a cautious step back, humming.

           “What ever could you mean?” she taunted back, though no where near as dangerously as Elias.

           He stepped forward, eyes narrowing into slits. The corners of his lips twitched however, giving away his tough guy exterior that only she could see through. She took off, dashing up the stairs with a laugh as his heavy footsteps followed.

           “No running in the—”

           “Oi! Get back here, Gussy! You’ll regret it!” he hollered, efficiently cutting off her grandmother’s protest.

           August’s socks slipped on the wooden floorboards, but she somehow made it to her grandmother’s spare bedroom with nothing more than a stubbed toe. She dove onto the bed, ducking beneath the duvet while laughing.

           Elias’ weight dropped onto the bed moments after her. She could hear his own obnoxious and ridiculous laugh, and was reminded of the thought that it seemed like no one ever taught him how to laugh. He grabbed her sides and began furiously tickling her. August thrashed, but Elias used his weight to sit on her legs before she hurt him or herself.

           “This is whatcha get for teasing me!” he laughed.

           “Elias, stop!” August howled with laughter, squirming beneath him in hopes of escape.

           Her boyfriend was powerful, she knew she’d never escape unless he let her. Thankfully, he was feeling gracious. He stopped his attack and yanked down the duvet to reveal August’s bright red face. Tears brimmed her eyes, and she panted from laughing too hard, all with a grin on her face.

           Elias chuckled. He moved his hand to thumb away her tears. Young and in love was never how he pictured himself, but here he was sitting on a stranger’s bed and torturing her with laughter. He wished he wasn’t such a succubus, taking and never giving. August would protest if she could hear his thoughts, but he knew he was right.

           Elias was always right.

           “I love you, idiot,” he mumbled the words like it was the last time he’d ever say them.

           August huffed out a giggle. She reached up, playfully tangling her fingers in his dark hair and brushing out the knots. The day Elias woke up and brushed his hair would be a true miracle, but she’d never tell him.

           “I love you too, Elias,” August murmured.

           August chose that memory to remember of Elias when she thought of the dark-haired child she’d been so in love with. It was her best memory of him, the day she saw him smile the most and laugh with her.

           He must’ve known. Elias always knew those things. He had to of known that would be his last day, so he spent the entirety of it with his soulmate; from the sunrise to the sunset. The only thing she couldn’t recall doing with him that night, even though it had only been one day, was watching the moon with him.

           August hiccupped, clutching onto the large hoodie like her life depended on it. It was a cold night, colder than it should’ve been. She stared out into the lake. It’s depths were dark like the shadow that accompanied her once. Elias’ shadow was always darker than most, and the water reflected it like it knew. 

           Even with the moon shining on it’s surface, there was nothing but a shadow over the waters. She regretted falling so deeply for someone who’s words always fell onto deaf ears, and who’s presence was nothing more than the shadow of a man enduring too much no matter how strong he felt. Elias was dangerous, but the environment around him had been more dangerous and his stupid ways were the cause of his death earlier that morning.

           August pulled her knees to her chest, allowing for some more warmth to spread through her body. Elias’ hoodie still smelled like the smoke and honey-sandalwood of him. As she buried her face into the collar of it, all she could think about was the way his presence had changed her life.

           That, and the moonlight which reflected the love she’d once held in her hand during a sunrise.

November 15, 2020 03:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.