0 comments

Adventure Fiction Science Fiction

I wander the streets of the once called New York City, it used to bustle with people, tossing me around left and right as I made my way to school. The crowded streets, the yelling, the sirens, it was all gone, now I walk alone, no yelling at Taxis to stop as I cross the street, no shooing off birds that were picking at the food I ate It was dark, cold, and lonely now. The tallest of the towers had collapsed, the cars were up in flames giving off a light that would have had me in awe  but now is just ominous. I stare at the glow of the fire crackling over a car, there should be sirens racing to help, but instead, silence. I keep walking, a shotgun thrown over my shoulder, and my clothes hanging on by the thread. My family was all gone, I hear a rustle in the debris behind me and spin around, shooting in the direction. It was just the wind.  I was hoping it was a rabbit, maybe even a squirrel but no, the wind can be deceiving sometimes, especially when your desperate for human interaction...

"MOM! Kyle hit me!" my little brother shrieks as he runs down the hall, tripping over every little thing, I cant help but laugh, my mom rolls her eyes "Kyle be nice to your brother, and Sam, go clean your room" My brothers mouth drops open and he crosses his arms in a pout, it was quite funny, his coiled lip, and his fuming blue eyes, I grin and he stomps off, sticking his tongue out at me as he walks back. I throw myself on the couch and flick on the TV, the news was on, I hated the news but recently its all ive been wanting to watch. The sirens and screams from the TV fill the room, I watch, my eyes wide in fear but awe, there were rabid people running about, almost zombie like, but not, everyone in this world was going crazy, the global warming was giving off toxins that made people go mad, the sane people would only last so long. The icebergs had almost melted, the scientists weren't making things better either, they were working on flying cars, only 30 years ago was that a fantasy only seen in movies, now I watch prototypes fly through the sky, then they crash. My mother said when she was a kid, around my age, that the world was just starting to go insane, not from global warming but from politics, riots, pandemics, she thought things would go back to normal but they got worse, now I live in the starts of a great future, a bad one to be exact. I wake up three months later, it was 11pm, the noise was horrid, but sounded fake, like something you hear in movies or video games, it was this loud siren and flying overhead were helicopters, announcing a lock down, I knew things were bad, but a lock down made things seem worse. I jump out of bed and race to the window, my brothers crying his head off, my moms freaking out and rushing around, and my dads no where to be seen. I see military troops marching the street, shoving people back in there homes and threatening them if they leave. I get shaky when they knock on our door, my mom, her pretty blonde hair tied up in a neat bun, and sparkling blue eyes answered the door, they talked in hush whispers which made me even more worried...

I keep walking the streets, I think of my mom, and even my annoying little brother, my dad, not so much, the last time I saw him was exactly a year ago today, he left for a deployment, its not like I was sad to see him leave, I hated him, he hated me.

"Moooom can we go home" My brother whined as he flailed his arms and marched next to us, all pouty. "No sweetie, were looking for food to eat for dinner" My brother huffs "Well im not hungry" He stops and smashes his foot to the ground, right where a sewer drain was, the clank of the metal caused a ringing through the silent night, I look around, I hope no one heard. My mother, furious with my brother, picks him up and we start creeping along the streets again, we only get a mile down the road before a gang of people, who must be rabid from the toxins come up to us "Give us your food and anything else you have and your free to go" They threat, their guns pointed at my mother. "We dont have anything, please..." my mom begs, my brother stays silent for once, we all look at each other then before we can speak BANG I scream as I watch my brother and mom fall to the ground, blood oozing out of them, my brother let out a cry then was silent, I stare at the murders, they were pointing their guns at me now, I sprint for it, my star track record coming in handy, I dont cry, it will just slow me down. The gun fire whistles behind me, I make a sharp turn and loose them. I find an abandoned building and hide, I hide all night and silently cry myself to sleep...

I see a squirrel in the distance, I duck behind a building and grab my gun, aiming at the squirrel, i had terrible aim but I was getting better, I hit the squirrel in the back and it falls, injured, I shoot again, and its dead. I look around then sprint for my dinner, making sure no hidden loners stole it and ran. I quickly grabbed the squirrel then sprinted back to my hideout, just a few blocks out. I was gasping for breath, the air was terrible, my runner body had started to crumple, it was like I was living in the alps, thin air, and smokey. I feel weak and shaky, I save my kill for later and start the long process of making the sewer water, clean.

He stood tall, his smile gleaming, but I knew what was hiding underneath, it was a monster, a vicious killer who will do whatever it takes... I sit in my room, clutching my brother as we cry, hearing the screams echo in our ears... I snap back to reality, him leaving, I look down my arms and legs, bruises, scars, scabs, everything. My family had them too, my mothers down her beautiful, olive pale face, one slashing across her eye and lip, my brothers down his back and legs... I watch the car drive off, we hug each other and silently cry, not of sadness, but of joy.

I step out of my hidden camp and walk the streets, theres a rustle behind me and I spin around, three big guys, around my age step out, there armed but so am I... we pull our guns and stare, we see the pain in eachothers eyes and all drop our guns, wait... John? Mark? Sam?

(Part 2??)

April 23, 2021 13:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.