2 comments

Holiday

It was 9 p.m. on December 31, 2019 and Ash was relaxing on his favourite armchair. In fact, he had been on that chair for at least three hours with no intention to move. He loved the occasional attention that Michael and Emmy were giving him and the festive ambiance animating the house lately. 


Ash’s family had been home the past week or so and he felt lucky that they were spending more time with him. They had placed a large tree in the corner of the living room. It smelled good and had pretty things hanging off its branches. Alas, Michael and Emmy had made it clear that he was not to touch them. It was hard for him to resist touching the shiny balls. Oh well! Ash thought. Every feline has their own challenges.


As time went by, Ash felt a certain febrility building up in Michael and Emmy. They moved somewhat erraticly — more than usual, anyhow. They had spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing food and it was now warmer in the house. So comfortable, thought Ash. 


Michael and Emmy were now placing the food on plates and taking even more food out of the oven, putting it all on the counter top. It smells so good. Different...I wonder if I’ll get some this time.  While he was hoping for a taste of Emmy’s cooking, Ash looked around, moving his tail left and right. He felt the need to review his escape routes. All this fussing about was uncommon for Michael and Emmy. Something was going on.


Shortly after, a horrid sound came from the foyer. Bang! Bang! Bang! Ash’s entire body tensed up. Voices. Feet shuffling. Oh dear! He remained firmly on the chair, but was ready to flee in case of emergency.


“Happy New Year!” Said one of the intruders when Emmy opened the door.

“Happy New Year! Come on in!” Replied Michael hugging one of them.


The invadors made their way into Ash’s home. He couldn’t count well, but there were enough of them to cram the foyer. A female spotted him on the armchair and showed her teeth.


“Hi sweetheart! How are you? I see that you have put on some weight.”


Ash was mortified to be addressed in such a way. Emmy came to his defense. 


“Oh! You know...at this time of the year, we’re all a little less active.”


The noisy intruders walked through the living room towards the dining area. Thanks to the open space, Ash was able to keep an eye on them from a distance and maintain his position.


Michael and Emmy talked animatedly to the guests. Ash could feel that they were happy and the strangers seemed to enjoy themselves as well. The good-smelling food, the drinks and the plates were put on the table. Some people sat down, others stood. Emmy turned on the music but no one really listened. People clinked bottles, talked at the same time and laughed at the same time. It was cacophonic. 


Ash observed and tried to adjust to the noise. He heard about the New Year coming up really soon. It seemed like a big deal. People were talking about what they had done this year and what they would do in the New Year.


“I really didn’t read as much as I would have liked.” Said one of them. “In 2020, I will participate to the Goodreads Reading Challenge and set my reading goal to ninety books.”


“Ninety books!” Said another person. “That is crazy. I can barely read five books per year with the kids! Nah! My resolution is to fit in some exercise in my schedule. At least twenty minutes of hard cardio four times per week. I need to lose the mummy tummy.”


“Health goals are always a good idea, I suppose. I’m not sure what I’ll do myself. Maybe I should think about drinking less.” Said a tall male smiling as he slammed his empty bottle on the table. 


Ash, getting accustomed to the noise and feeling safer in being unnoticed, was reflecting on his life so far. He thought fondly of his loving family who he loved abundantly in return. He recalled the time he spent observing nature and the change of seasons. He reminisced about his excellent hunting skills and the time he had saved Emmy’s niece in the bathroom. She had been terrified of a spider and by the sound of her screams, would have no doubt been eaten alive.


His musings were interrupted by Michael’s voice. “Ash! Come on, lazy bum! Time to eat!”


Ash froze out of embarrasment. Lazy bum? And being called as such by his own family infont of those strangers? 


“C’mon Ash!” Said Michael again.


Ash didn’t want to attract any more attention, so he got off his armchair and walked to the kitchen, staying close to the walls and away from the people. He sat before his dish and smelled the food. It wasn’t the new food. Ash felt a little left out but didn’t complain. Now was not the time to make a scene. He ate, slowly, feeling a little heavy inside. Lazy bum….put on weight...he hadn’t thought of himself that way before. In his 12 years on this earth, he had felt nothing but love and a great sense of belonging to this family. Now, things seemed to have changed. 


The feline finished his meal and looked at his reflection in the oven door glass. He couldn’t see anything wrong. Sure, his belly was hanging a little low, but nothing that prevented him from chasing a fly or a spider if he felt like it.


Ash walked back towards the living room, lost in his thoughts. When was the last time he had chased a fly or a spider? Had there been any around? Had he looked for them? 


In the dining room, it was Emmy’s turn to talk.


“2020 is going to be the best year for us, I just know it! I have this feeling, you know? I am committed and will take care of myself...eat well, exercise and put all the chances on my side. We want a baby so much...I’m sure that 2020 is the year.”


A baby? Ash’s eyes opened wide. The air was feeling thin. He knew what a baby was. Those small humans were entirely depended on the parents. Nothing like a kitten. Sometimes, they smelled bad near their unmentionables and they were very noisy. Babies grew up into dangerous little things that could pull one’s tail and ears. True nightmares. He didn’t understand why they needed one of those. Had he not been enough? Ash rolled into a ball. He wanted to disappear. 


He dwelled in this uncomfortable feeling until he had an idea. He, too, would make a resolution! Michael and Emmy had given him those crinkling toys a few days ago. He could play with those and be more active. He preferred the balls they sometimes made for him with silver paper or Emmy’s hairbands, but he could try to play with the things they gave him. That would make them happy. Maybe he would lose some of that belly as well. That would be his resolution for the New Year! Be more active and lose some weight. No more lazy bums and no need for a smelly baby! He concluded.


“Oh! Look how cute he is, all rolled up into a ball. How sweet!”


Ash heard a ‘click!’ and saw a brief flash of light through his eyelids. He opened one eye.


Two males and a female were standing by the chair, looking at him. They were showing their teeth and making odd soft noises and talking all at the same time. They didn’t seem scary now. It was pleasant, in a way.


“I just love him.” Said the female, gently stroking his fur. “Can I put this on Instagram?”

“Sure.” Said Michael.

“He is so sweet! You have such a great cat.” Said one of the males.

“I know.” Replied Michael. “He’s our baby.”

“We adore him!” Added Emmy. “He is absolutely perfect. He’ll always be our baby.”


At that moment, Ash’s worries vanished. His New Year’s resolution seemed unnecessary. He understood that things might change in the New Year, but it would be just fine. I might try one of these crinkling toys anyway, he thought, purring and content. Michael and Emmy are, after all, well worth the effort, he decided, shutting that eye.


“Ok guys, this is it!” Michael said cheerfully, turning down the music. “C’mon, all together!”


“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...Happy New Year!”



January 03, 2020 12:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ebun Soneye
22:14 Jan 08, 2020

😁i wasn't expecting the point of view to be from a cat, dope!

Reply

Nancy Laflamme
00:22 Jan 09, 2020

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.