0 comments

Thriller Suspense

I don’t remember anything. I don’t remember anyone or anything. I don’t know who I am. I don’t want too. All I remember are the woods. My friends. I need to get back to them. I need to find the spirts. I must wake up. Now.  

I sit up in the bed I’m in. Why am I here? What is this place? I stand up and walk to the window. Its morning and the sun is seeping into the room. My horse is outside. I must get to the spirts. I’m wearing my traveling cloths. Good, I’ll need them. I walk over to the door and open it. Light blasts into my eyes and I nearly fall. I despise the humans and much light they need to see. Well, I should start my journey. 

As I walk down the hall, I remember something. My bow and sword. I remember that my bow is very special. My sword can be replaced, but my bow can’t. Why is it so important to me? I need to find it. I continue walking down the hall. I hear heavy footsteps. Someone in running. I turn and realize I’m the one who is running. Why do I need my bow? I need it, but I don’t know why. Yet, something is telling me I don’t want to know why.  

I finally make it out of the hall, only to find a staircase. Was this built to keep me in? Is this a maze? Never mind, I need to focus. I start walking down the stairs and I hear voices. I’m certain it is not me this time. I stop and crouch down, hoping to see who is speaking. I see a woman with holding something under her cloak. Human, no doubt. “We have to burn it! I’m telling you it’s cursed!” She said in a panicked voice. She handed a man with black hair a bow. My bow. 

“It is not!” I shouted, sprinting down the rest of the stairs. When she opened her mouth to talk, I didn’t hear her. I heard another. 

*** 

The feathers of white 

Give her flight 

Watch the owl fly 

In the midnight sky 

She flies to her nest 

To join the rest

*** 

What was that song? That voice, I know that voice. But I just want to forget it. I don’t know why. “And how do you know, elf?” The woman snarled. “I... It’s mine.” I said, stumbling over my words. “Are you scared now that you don’t have your barbarians to protect you?” She said, smirking. I clenched my fist. “They are not barbarians! They are my friends!” I roared. I forgot how much I hate humans. 

“So, elf, when did you wake?” The man asked. Pretending to be clam. “I’ve been up for days.” I lied. “Are you responsible for the bow floating?” He asked. Fool. “Yes, I am responsible. made by the spirts.” I lied again. I think I did. I don’t know who made it. He gestured me forward. I walked up to the counter, ignoring the woman's step away. Fear not disgust. Humans fear elves. I will always remember that. 

“Take it and leave.” He said grimly. I took my bow back in my hands. It’s made completely out of black steel, except for the string. The string is made of white horsehair. How do I know this? I walk out to find my horse. Not as much trouble as I thought. I mount my horse and realize it’s pure white. And it’s not a horse. It’s a Pegasus. I will travel faster now.  

“Swift as the wind.” I said. The pegasus started to gallop. Its mighty wings started to flap. We were up in the air. Flying. I realize I’ve flown before. I must put the past in the past. Or so I want to. “To the spirts.” I whispered. The pegasus flew to the mountains. To the spirts. To my friends. 

I feel the wind on my face. Only a little longer till I land. Just a little longer. I can see the forest. My home. “Land.” I say. The pegasus lands in a clearing. Right in front of the woods. The Valenwoods. My home. I remember my home. I remember something other than the woods, the spirts, and my bow. I enter the woods. The time has come to let the spirts know. 

“Hello? Hello?” I call out. Nothing. Wait what was that. I hear a noise. Rustling in the bushes. I draw my bow. “Who's there?” I asked, aiming at the bushes. I hear growling. Damn, it’s a wolf. Wait it’s a wolf. I lower my bow. “I know you, I just can’t remember your name.” I said. I hear more rustling and then a silver wolf emerged from the terrain. 

The wolf started to growl. As if it were talking to me. It continued to growl. Then it stopped and turned it’s head to an angle. I think it wants me to respond. “Um... Can you lead me to the spirts? Sir?” I asked. It came closer to me. It started to sniff my chest and face. Then it looked in directly in my eyes. It was like it was searching. Searching for a sign. A sign of familiarity? 

The wolf shook its head. I think it wants me to follow it. So, I do. It begins to lead me to a path in the woods. The path is made of stone and has moss growing on it. It continued to follow the path. So, I continue to follow the wolf. It leads me out to a ring. A ring made of stone surrounding me. Then the wolf sits down and growls. Then it barks. Nothing. Nothing till the ground starts shaking. 

“Hello, Emerson.” A voice whispered. “Welcome back, Emerson.” A thunderous voice shook the earth. “Yes, Emerson, how have you been?” A sly voice asked. “No, no, Emerson, where have you been?” An eerie voice whispered. “Who is Emerson?” I asked, confused. A chuckle made the earth beneath me shake. “Oh good, he’s being a child again!” An annoyed voice scowled. “Hush! All of you! Why are you here, child?” The voice sounded soft and... scary. “I’m looking for the spirts. I don’t remember where they are though.” I said, feeling embarrassed. “Looking? You are talking to the spirts.” A voice whispered. 

“What? But... I don’t remember.” I sighed. “You don’t?” A voice questioned. “No, I don’t. I can’t. And I won’t.” I said. “You need your memories back, Emerson!” An angry voice shook the earth. “But I don’t want them back!” I yelled back. “So, sorry about this. But we need the old you.” A voice whispered. It seemed sorry. About what? Then, everything went black. 

I see a woman. She has red hair that went to her waist and dark gray eyes. Her eyes looked just like... mine. “How are you doing Emerson?” She said, joyfully. “We are going to meet your father in the garden. Oh. You have his white hair.” Then she vanished. She was replaced with ash and flames. A village was being burned. She came from a corner on a black horse. “I love you I always have. And I always will.” She said, her voice breaking. “Remember me Emerson.” “But mother I don’t want you to go.” A boy said. I can’t see him. Wait... I am him. “I know but your father will be here for you. Take this.” She handed me a bow. My bow. The one I have now. “Take this and remember me. What was that? No!” She screamed as an arrow flew toward me. “Goodbye Emerson.” She said her backing turning from me. The arrow hit her instead. Then everything vanished again. It was replaced by a man. He has long white hair that falls to his shoulders. Part of it was pulled back into a braid that went down the middle of his hair. “Emerson, go to the sprits.” He said. “But, father how do I know you will be fine?” I asked. Am older here. Maybe sixteen? “I will be safe, we will win.” He said, putting on armor. “Father, how do I know you will be safe?” I said, growing angry. Growing worried. “Mother died the same way. In war.” I said. Then we vanished and we were replaced by me riding a horse. “I just want to forget it all!” I said, jumping off. Then I remembered I had fairy dust on me. Wishing dust. Then, I woke up in that small room. 

I gasped for breath. Now I know why I didn’t want to remember. The pain. The sorrow. The memory. So, hard to keep remembering. But that woman is much more than pain. Then sorrow. Then a memory. She is my mother. I look up. “So... what is my name?” One of the voices asked. “Ash the fire spirt.” I said. He was the sly voice. “Good, and mine?” Asked another. “Flo the water spirt.” I replied. She was the soft sweet voice. “What about mine?” This voice was loud and booming. “Terran the earth spirt.” I said. He... well, shook the earth. “Ooo, what’s mine?” The voice whispered in my ear. “Twirl the wind spirt.” I said, trying not to laugh. “Okay, Wisp.” We all laughed. I remember the names I gave the spirts.  

“Where is my father? Did he survive? Was he killed? Did the war end? Is it still going?” I suddenly remembered my father. “Calm down. He’s back in Raygewood.” Flo said. “Then I have to go.” I got on my feet. “Come, I’ll lead you to him.” A deep voice behind me said. I turned around to see the wolf. I forgot, I can speak with animals. “Ok... Fangner?” I asked. He nodded and beckoned me north. “We’ll be there in two day's time.” Fangner said. I’ll be glad as along as we get there. 

As I walked, I recalled my mother. She isn’t just a memory. She is a part of who I am. So, no matter how much pain there is. No matter how much I want to forget her death. I don’t want to forget her. I will bear this burden with sadness, but with peace. Never again will I choose to forget, never. 





January 08, 2021 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.