Years In Moments

Submitted into Contest #167 in response to: Set your story inside a character’s mind, literally.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

This day has been long anticipated. Nothing is more lovely than watching everyone busy getting ready for today's anomaly—the golden night. Everyone will dress according to their skin tone, cleanse their bodies, and apply the precious perfume that has been stored in each person's home only for tonight, a special night like today. A day that eliminates prejudice and socioeconomic inequalities by gathering everyone. A day when all living things lower their guard and allow themselves to be receptive to a fresh start. Every hate, hurt, suffering, and despair are supposed to be destroyed on this night.

A large golden moon will be visible once every five years. Most couples who have stuck together through thick and thin will marry on this night to carry the unique moon's blessing till the next full golden moon in five years. The two Sinol and Kaliyal lakes will be touched by the moon and will shimmer with the brightest, most apparent, imitating golden light viewable from anywhere on the planet. It appears that the moon and the two lakes have a particular link through which they combine to bless the beings that share this planet's life.

I might not recall who I was, but I am aware of how I am right now and who I have evolved into. Since my arrival, I've been aware that I'm growing, becoming someone even I can tolerate. It feels like I'm finding myself from scratch, like a child learning to walk and falling down every time they try to stand. I was puzzled as to how I got here, who I am, and where I am. I assumed I was alone or if I was dead, since I thought I was one of a kind. But there are a few, such as me, who belong to a clan they were first found by. I can feel it in my bones. Feelings instead of memoirs from my past. I can tell this is the best version of me.

I was lost and on the verge of quitting up. It was then that I discovered my true home. That's when I met her, the woman from Durragas Caln. Distant laughter ignites a flame of hope in me, propelling me towards a life I never imagined.

I realised I was in a strange place, somewhere I didn't belong, and she wasn't expecting me, so she screamed the loudest and purred sweetly as she returned to where she came from and away from me. But I was both delighted and terrified. I was curious about her, so I crept into the tall grass to get a better look at her. I could hear them talking. I couldn't recognise their language because I couldn't recollect mine. It was magnificent, but it was also strange.

I became aware that someone, one of them, was coming back to check on me as I was doing so. I knew because one of them lowered their voice in a warning tone while communicating with the one coming my direction. I noticed the grass moving and that something or someone was steeping on it towards me. For a brief period, we were silent and motionless. It was easy to hear the mirrored breathing, which showed that we were both afraid and apprehensive. There was some grass between us, and even though I couldn't see much, I knew what I was looking at.

I can affirm that the green skin and black silky long hair that I observed before were not a figment of my imagination. I gulped hard and pursed my lips into a harsh line, as if gathering energy for what I was about to do. I hold my breath and move some grass between myself and this entity, and we both fall back and look at one another. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them fleeing, and she was simply remaining with me. She looked inquisitive enough to know about me just as I was curious to be sure about her.

large, upturned hazel brown eyes, no sclera, no nasal bridge, and a lovely heart-shaped lip It felt pleasant and calming to look into her eyes. It felt predestined. Even if I didn't know her, I knew she wouldn't hurt me, and she knew I wouldn't hurt her. I approached her carefully and tried to touch her, but she purred and moved away. She takes a leisurely step closer, runs her long fingers through my curly red hair, and looks at me too closely. She suddenly displayed her white teeth with a longer and sharper canine silver tooth, flashing a smile on her lips. She was and still is something so magnificently odd and yet beautiful.

She made it apparent that she desired to be in control. Even though I was afraid, I was loving the sniffing and her hunt for anything on me. I, too, didn't want to be alone any longer.

Males with blue-luminescent spheres protruding from their tips run to our location. They were taller and more muscular. She stood by my side and spoke to an elder on my behalf. I'm not sure what language they were communicating in, but it was and still is spectacular; numerous roars, kaka, and purring. I'm not sure what they were saying to one another, but what she was saying made their faces gleam with a lovely joy. The ladies and children hiding behind their moms' robes remained gazing at me, initially terrified, but as she spoke, their expressions brightened.

She smiled back, grabbing my right palm and showing me what I had been missing all along. A golden circle was in my palm. The elderly woman nodded to me as she observed the circle in my palm and snarled at everyone, weaving her blue robe in the air, while the rest ululated, purred, and hollered, raising their hands in the air. They greeted me in this fashion. The day I arrived was a very special day, with a golden moon for the night.

***

I am named after the moon, Navec. That night, as the child of the Durrgas clan, I received the lake’s blessing, despite the fact that I was nothing like them. The mark on my palm gives me unrestricted access to any clan: Thalin, known for their white skin and unrivalled aquatic abilities; Buluk, known for their connection with the gods and their black skin, golden eyes, and nails that can see beyond reality and touch and transform anything into something valuable; and the Radkih, known for their incredible fighting skills and remarkable knowledge in creating advanced technology.

My tribe, the Durrgas, is famed for its green skin, which keeps balance, and the ears on their heads, which are shaped like trumpet vine blooms and let them hear miles away. I've been learning a lot, and I'm the busy of all. Every clan wanted to share their wisdom with me, teach me all I needed to know to survive the planet, ever since my presence was revealed during the lake blessing.

Having me with them is regarded as a blessing, and I, in turn, want to learn as much as possible. To be honest, the only thing that excites me is spending time with Nulia, the first creature that ever embraced me. I enjoy watching her interact with green life and animals. She is the most in tune with nature and enjoys solitude. Mono, a Thalin clan buddy, believes I should not allow her power over me. After all, the male is the dominating figure in their clan, and seeing a guy subdued by a woman is deemed ludicrous. He dislikes having her around, but he concedes the attraction between us. He says Ilrrrsork, which indicates suffocation, but also mauna orkilk, which means something worth dying for. I would agree with him. I'd die for her, for the connection she denies exists between us.

It took three years for me to persuade her that we belonged together. I wanted it to be something exceptional, so I enlisted Dinal's gracious assistance. Dinal is another Buluk pal. She is stunning and unlike any Buluk I have ever met. She has two tiny golden lines beneath her cheekbones that gleam anytime she is supposed to touch something with her golden claws to change it into whatever she wishes. Despite the fact that she is meant to be a royal princess, my Nulia despises what I have with her. Dinal will be unmarried for a long time, owing to the obligations that await her. I understand Nulia's concern; for I am Navec I can get whever I need. That's why she had to assist me in confessing my feelings to her.

We decided I should do it on Likurul morning. A morning celebration for the Durrgas clan in the Buluk tribe to worship the deity of balance. Buluk's women and young girls assemble to sing a tune that stays with you for days. Getting her that one special perfume for the Navec night would be my proposal in collaboration with Dinal's help.

I had no choice but to do it, despite the opposition of many of my friends. It wasn't easy. Getting the perfume isn't one man's job. I had to be in the black jungle and risk my life to get it. The perfume can only be obtained from a monster called Satharah, which shapeshifts into anything it kills. It took me the entire night to obtain it from its tail, resisting the fight against it. I remember walking out of the jungle with some wounds from the fight but victorious and she was weeping. There was no way she wouldn't accept my proposal.

Now here we are. The moon is brighter tonight, and my Nulia is more lovely than ever. Her hair is decorated with ornaments that magnify her beauty even more. She is one of a kind and everything about her is magical. Ever since we were engaged, I couldn't wait for this day. We decided to use my special place in the clans to bend the rules. We started living together, and I was her true man and she mine. I have learned a lot about life in this world and have become one of the clans where my heart matured. I loved and lived life to the fullest. This is who I am and this is all happening to me thanks to the Nevec who brought me here.

Everyone from every clan has gathered here. The night starts with the music; voices of laughter everywhere; women; voices of lively melody emnating from every corner; women, children, and couples are dancing; the celebration has begun, making it impossible for any stresful situation to exist. The night is even more pleasant than the first gold moon. There's nothing I wouldn't do to reassure her, to see her smile this way and keep it lasting. Just as we joined the crowd, we jumped in to share the celebratory feeling with everyone. 

"It had been so long that we had to witness that some couldn't wait any longer," Dinal's mother says, and everyone laughs. "Tonight, my daughter officially becomes the high priestess, blessing the holy bonding between our Navec and Nulia," she declares, and following Dinal, me and my pregnant Nulia wade into the calm golden lake to reach the stone a few feet in the lake. We three stand on top of the flat surface, with Dinal in the middle.

Dinal holds my left hand and Nulia's right hand. She prays to the gods, taking a few moments. "I pray to the gods to hear your prayers, for your wishes to be true and for the fruits you bear to be blessed." She smiles as she looks up at the attentively listening crowd. "You are not a wonderer in this life, for we have been waiting for your arrival ever since the prophacy was found written on the walls of the god's cave." She spreads her arms, displaying each clan that has gathered to celebrate the night. "Every clan in this life is grateful to have you as brother and child, and for her, as her soulmate. Navec, my brother, Son of Navec, I am honoured to be the chosen one in my clan to bewed you to this beautiful Duragas woman, your soulmate Nulia, one you chose for love."

"I son of Navec, child of Durugas, am honoured to love and be loved by my Nulia, to be accepted as a child of Thalin, Buluk, and Radkih." I kissed Nulia on her head and smiled as I listened to the tabbing on the floor from every man as the female ululates. 

"I daughter of Sama and Jilk, child of Durugas, am honoured to love and be loved by the chosen one. I am honoured to bear our blessing soon." In addition to the ullulating and floor tapping, we started to hear a drum tapping now and then. We then kissed as Dinal stood pressing her lips with her hands as she shed tears of joy for us. 

"Let the blessing begin," she whispers, smiling as she encourages us to seek the lake's blessing. We stroll into the lake together, and she follows us both. Standing before her, facing each other as she begins singing the Raffart, or blessing of the night song. Her voice rattles as she hums and the others hum, claiming the blessing.

"I love you," Nulia says as she hugs me. Maybe it’s the pregnancy, but she seems a little disturbed about stepping into the lake if it's not the warning from Dinal's uncle, who she has been telling us is getting to her.

I whisper, "I love you," as I hold her in my embrace. We plunge under the water as I try to help her feel safe with me in my embrace, but her arms get stronger around me and as I get up with her still in my arms, I realise that many others are shouting. I turn to see Dinal, who is frozen all golden and smiling, and I glance down to discover my wife is also frozen.

"Get out of the lake, brother!" Mono is attempting to leap into the water to reach me, but I sense it is too late. My wife and Dinal have both been transformed into golden statues. I smiled at Mono and kissed my wife's head, clutching her closer, and everything paused right there as we hugged. Just sounds. I can only hear voices.

"The gods have accepted," adds Dinal's uncle, who has never left the cave and is finally here. I can't see anything, but I can hear everything. He states, "They have joined the Gods, as the prophecy predicted. Behold the chosen ones. Nevec, Son of Nevec has taken what is rightfully his the chosen pristess and the family he needs. My place is here from now on, to clean and protect their statues to help us remember that the Gods were really here. The true gifts will now begin." I can hear some people sobbing, those closer to us, and most are celebrating.

***

Martin has succumbed to bed, and Clare has been struggling to let him go. It’s been hard for her to accept that after all the things he's done, the accident they got into is killing him.

"What do you think is happening in his mind?" Clare asks her shrink, who has been treating her ever since the accident.

"I’d say nothing. You did more than you could. You waited for him for two years." She shakes her head, recalling the car accident in which they were involved. The truck that hit them came out of nowhere, and even though the accident was terrible, she survived it, and he went into a deep sleep that he couldn’t wake up from.

"Survivor guilt is not the answer," Doctor Kevin speaks, and she wipes some tears off her cheeks as she clears her throat.

"I know." She nods to the doctors waiting for her, and they start taking him off life support. "it’s hard," she says, turning her face to the table he used to work on, sketching or panting something.

"You're honouring his memory with the foundation. It will help a lot and he will rest in peace."

"I pray so," she says, and walks over to some of his paintings and chooses one. She has lost her puppeteer over her tears. He takes the painting out of her hands and looks at it, amazed at the detailed touches. "These are remarkable details," he comments.

She nods. "He used to see things. It is all about what he used to see. His paintings are all about the places his brain took him." She sniffles as she shakes her head with her eyes closed.

He clears his mind of the painting as he looks up at Clare. "I’ll go see your father." He says and walks out of the room, handing back the painting to her. She takes some minutes and embraces it closer; she simply keeps it close because all she remembers is the lively passion in her brother's eyes as he used to tell her about the world she comes from, but she didn’t notice the writing at the back.

Love is power and weakness at the same time. On the day we are bonded, we shall live and die.

October 09, 2022 06:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.