0 comments

Adventure

 Orion stumbled out of the club with her friend Darla. They had too many tequila shots. Orion didn't know if she was holding if Darla was holding her up. " We did. We graduated from College!" Darla screamed. "Whoop whoop," Orion screamed joyously. "Thank God our apartment is near because I have to pee." Darla laughed. They started half walking towards their apartment. Darla leaned against a wall of a shop. "I feel sick," Darla said before vomiting. Some of it got into her long blue-black hair. Orion felt strange. She heard footsteps behind them. Darla, I think someone is following us.

Orion glanced into the shop window. She could see a tall, white figure, its body translucent and ethereal. Darla wiped vomit from her mouth. "I think you had too many shots, bestie," Darla said. Orion turned around to see a tall, white figure. It looked at her with its big, black, protruding eyes. "Darla, you don't see that tall, white weird thing," Orion said, pointing at it. "No, maybe your braids are pulling too tight." Orion was entirely sober. She grabbed Darla's hand and started walking fast. The tall, apparent alien followed them. "You're walking too fast," Darla yelled. Darla pulled away from her. The figure was upon them. Orion stretched her hands out in front of her. "No!" She screamed. A beam of light shot out from her palms. Darla's eyes widened as she saw the Tall white creature, its features becoming defined in the light. The beast screamed in pain as it turned into dust. Darla was silent. "I told you it was there," Orion explained. Orion grabbed Darla's hand again and started running. This time, Darla didn't argue. Orion unlocked the door to their brownstone apartment. She pushed Darla in before locking the door. Darla's eyes were wild. "What the F just happened?" Darla screamed.

"A beam of light shot out of your hands; there was some kind of invisible creature." Orion sat on the couch. She pulled on one of her long braids. Orion always pulled on her hair when she was nervous. "You have powers," Darla said. "How long have you had these powers?" Orion looked at her best friend. "It started two months ago," Orion explained. "I don't know how to control it. It happens when I'm scared. It's like a defense mechanism." "What happened two months ago?" Darla asked. Orion: "I was walking home from the library late at night, and a creature similar to that was following me." Orion looked past Darla as she thought about her first encounter with the translucent creature. "My hands felt like they were on fire when the beam shot out of my palms. The creature disintegrated just like tonight. I thought I was crazy, but you saw it." "Yes, I did see it." Darla paced back and forth. "We have to tell someone." She insisted. "Who would believe us?" Orion asked. "What about your Aunt Zoe?" She is a scientist. Darla suggested. Orion's parents died when she was a baby, and her Aunt raised her.

"You don't have any other options." Orion's relationship with her Aunt was shaky. "We are too messed up to drive," Orion told her. "Let's get some rest and leave in the morning." Darla went into her bedroom. Orion had a restless sleep on the couch. She woke up to frantic knocking on the door. Orion jumped up.

"Hello, it's Zoe!" Orion opened the door. "We have to go," Zoe told her. "What's going on?" Darla said as she walked into the living room wearing boxer shorts and a tee shirt, scratching her butt. "Silence," Zoe said as she waved her hand at Darla. Darla froze. Orion was shocked. "How did you do that?"  "I don't have time to explain. " Zoe told her. Orion walked up to Darla and moved her hand across her eyes. She was still. "The Translucent's will be here soon," Zoe told her.

Orion stared at Zoe. "You know about them." Zoe shook her head. "Obviously. You have to leave Darla here. She will slow us down and get us killed." Zoe told her. "No, I won't leave her." Orion insisted. "I can only freeze time for fifteen minutes. We have five minutes left." "She is coming with us." Orion insisted. "Okay, we don't have time to argue." Zoe unfroze Darla. " She knows about the white creatures; we have to go," Orion told her. "Let me pack some clothes and food," Darla said. " I have a sweet new pair of jeans and sneakers."  Zoe pulled a gun out of her pocket. "They are here." She said. The door blasted open. " Zoe shot at two tall white creatures as they walked through the door. Darla dived behind the couch. The bullets passed through the translucent skin of one of the white beings without injuring it. The other white creature looked at them. It emitted a high-pitched frequency. "Pain." It said telepathically. Zoe, Darla, Zoe, and Orion screamed in agony. Orion could feel blood trickling out of her ears. The white creatures moved towards them. Orion held her hands up and shot them with beams of light. They turned into dust. "There are more on the way." Orion wiped the blood from her ears. Darla quickly put on jeans and sandals. Zoe opened the front door. She looked around before cautiously walking out. The sun was rising. Zoe took out a fob from her pocket and pushed it. Orion and Darla heard a vehicle unlocking sound. "What the hell?" Darla said. "You can never be too careful in this janky area," Zoe replied. A circular object appeared. "This is my ride," Zoe said, smiling. "Come on." Zoe led the way to the ship. She touched a keypad, and a door opened. "Welcome back, Zoe Anteries." Zoe walked into the spaceship. "Hurry." She told the two shocked women. Orion and Darla walked into the ship. "Cloaking on," Zoe told the ship. The ship turned invisible. "We can't have people seeing us." She commented. "Sit down and strap in. Zoe instructed. Orion and Darla sat on soft seats and locked themselves into shoulder harnesses. The ship hovered up and then shot off fast over the city. "When did you get your ability," Zoe asked Orion as she steered the ship above the clouds. "Two months ago," Orion replied." Orion didn't want to tell Zoe that a bee had attacked her and that she had turned it to dust."You may have more than one ability," Zoe said, glancing back at her. Orion couldn't control one ability. How could she control more? Orion thought. "Those white creatures are not from this world."We called them the Translucent's." Orion shifted in her seat nervously. "Who are we?" Orion asked. "The we that I speak of are the resistance, and they are our people." Darla was smacking on a granola bar. "Really? "You are eating? " Orion said in an irritated voice. I'm hungry." Darla replied. "You want a piece?" Orion took a piece of her granola bar. "It does taste good." Orion crunched. Zoe landed the ship in a clearing in the woods outside the city. Zoe opened the door of the ship and walked out. "I think your Aunt might be a baddy," Darla said. They unbuckled themselves and followed her out. Orion walked up to her Aunt and a group of people. "We barely escaped, "Zoe said. The people looked at Orion and Darla. A petite, beautiful, older Asian woman wearing a flowing red robe approached them. " This is my niece Orion." Zoe said." The woman bowed. " I am Sachiko." She told Orian. "I have been awaiting your arrival, daughter of Zander." "You knew my mother?" The woman smiled. "Yes, I was your mothers and Zoe's royal tutor." Orion was not sure she heard correctly. "Did you say royal?" Darla asked. "Yes, Orion is of royal birth." 

"I didn't see that one coming," Darla said in a shocked voice. Orion's hands were sweating, and she felt dizzy. We will go to our shelter, and I will tell you about our history." Zoe told Orion. Zoe nodded.

 Sachiko raised her hands and waved them side to side. Three tall white buildings appeared, surrounded by purple trees and a turquoise lake. Orion was at a loss for words to describe what she was seeing. "Excellent," Darla said, smiling like the Cheshier cat from Alice in Wonderland. Zoe led the way through a field of strange-looking plants. Orion saw a group of children and a handsome adult male. The children were practicing how to control their powers. "He is a yummy," Darla said with a big grin. "Is that all you saw?" Orion asked. "Didn't you see the kids using powers?" Darla laughed. "Yes, but you have to admit he is nice!"

The adults who had greeted them departed and went in different directions. "Sachiko, please join us." Zoe insisted. Sachiko nodded in agreement. "This was my house with your mother before she left and met your father." Zoe paused for a second before she opened the door.

 "There is no need to lock doors here. We all trust each other." Sachiko, Orion, and Darla followed Zoe into her home. It is spacious with hues of purple. Zoe sat on one of the four-floor cushions. " "It is time for you to learn who you are," Zoe told Orion as she motioned for them to sit. "Sachiko, if you please." Sachiko waved her hands. It seemed like they were moving as they were sitting still. Orion could feel her face distort. She looked at Darla. Darla's face is stretching in different directions. Then all was still. "This how our world, Planet Terra nova, looked," Sachiko explained. Orion looked at the turquoise water surrounding her. Purple flowered trees blew in a soft, gentle breeze. "Sweet," Patty said. "You said looked," Orion noted. "Our planet is five hundred years into Earth's future." Sachiko continued. "My parents were the rulers. Our planet was peaceful. Your mother was next in line to take the throne. Zandra was good with technology. She invented what you would call time travel. Zandra also could use vibration to shoot beams out of her hands, and she had super speed." Zoe told her. "We all have abilities or powers, as you call it." Orion felt overwhelmed. Zoe paused. She could see Orion's the deer caught in the headlight's expression. "Some on our planet wanted to use their powers to conquer other worlds." Zoe continued. We call them the translucents." Orion was perplexed. "You are talking about those white creatures?" She asked. "Our ancestors and the translucent's arrived on planet Aksum simultaneously. Our ancestors came from Earth; we don't know where they came from, but our ancestors wanted a peaceful society after surviving World War Three on Earth. Our ancestors developed abilities over time on this new non-hostile planet, as did translucents. Children were being born with abilities. Your powers were dormant because your father was from Earth," Zoe explained.

" Brax is the leader of the translucent, and he craves power. Brax killed many of our people, including my parents. Your mother, myself, and all these people were able to escape the massacre. We boarded a ship that had been underwater since our ancestors arrived. Zandra had been repairing it for years because she suspected Brax would one day turn against Father."

"How did you get to Earth?" Orion asked. "Zandra opened up a wormhole with her time machine device. She thought we would be able to thrive in a period before World War three but also in a time when technology was advancing. Zandra chose 1999, but her calculations were slightly off, so we landed here in 1997." Zoe nodded at Sachiko. Sachiko waved her hands, and they were back in where they began. Orion stood up, wobbling, trying to make it to the door. Zoe got up to assist her. "Mind time travel can be difficult the first time." Orion walked into the sunlight. 

Why did Zoe keep everything a secret from her? "Your mother didn't want you to know about your history," Zoe told her. She knew Orion had questions. "Zandra wanted you to have a regular Earth life. Your mother made me promise never to tell you who you were." Orion tugged on one of her braids nervously. Darla stood up, holding her head. Zoe and Orion had left her alone with Sachiko. "Let them be," Sachiko told Darla. "Zoe needs time alone with Orion." Sachiko went into the kitchen and made tea and refreshments. "Darla, Orion has much to learn about her role as our new ruler." She implied that Darla would not be Orion's priority. Darla frowned at Sachiko before she walked out the door. She saw Zoe and Orion standing by the lake in deep conversation. Darla walked past the fields and the children playing. Orion was meek, yet she had power. Darla remembered when they had class together, Orion said very little, but when she did talk, the other students listened and wanted to be with her. Orion was friendly and considered pretty. Her bright-colored hazel eyes and smile mesmerized people. Darla pressed her lips together. All this was going to be Orion's. She saw a wooded area. Darla cautiously looked around before entering.

" You will be our leader. It is your birthright," Zoe told Orion. Orion swallowed hard. What if I don't want it?" she asked Zoe. Zoe smiled softly at her niece, who was like her mother in many ways. I will be here to help along with Sachiko. You are not alone. You will be a great leader because you don't crave power." Zoe walked away, leaving Orion alone with her thoughts. Darla sat on the ground and closed her eyes. Her mind traveled and connected to Brax as it did the night before. "Human, show me where you are." He commanded. Darla resisted. Years of meditation have taught her how to empty her mind. "No, I want powers. You told me you could give me powers if I helped you." Brax tried to delve into her mind. How was she able to resist him? "You are a worthy opponent, human." Brax relented. "I want to fly and throw fire."  "It is done, human." Brax put his tentacle fingers together in a triangle. Darla could feel power entering into her body. She knew her body had changed. "Now, show me." Darla let Brax enter her mind. Zoe was walking past the fields when she saw Darla entering the woods. What was she doing? Zoe wondered. Zoe was going to find out. When Darla exited her trance, she saw Zoe running up to her. 

"You were communicating with the Translucent," Zoe screamed. Zoe jumped on Darla, knocking her to the ground. Zoe punched Darla in the face. "You traitor." Darla could feel blood trickling out of her mouth. Darla blocked other punches. She pushed Darla off of her and stood up. Darla jumped up and was getting ready to attack again. Darla threw a fireball at Zoe. Zoe jumped out of the way. "You have abilities." Darla laughed. "Yes, why should Orion, who doesn't deserve or want power, have powers." Zoe had to warn the others. She started running back to the others. Darla flew up and threw a fireball at Zoe, striking Zoe in the back. Zoe was on fire. She screamed in pain. "You won't be warning anyone." Darla laughed. Zoe rolled around, putting out the fire. She reached out her hand and froze Darla up in the air before blacking out. It was close to sunset, and Orion had not seen her Zoe or Darla. Orion decided to search for them. She asked adults and children if they had seen either one of them. No one had. Orion came to a wooded area. She felt uneasy.

Orion knew that Zoe and Darla were in the woods and that something was terribly wrong. Orion could hear her heart beating in her ears. She walked into the woods. "Zoe, Darla," Orion screamed. There was no answer. The sun was starting to set. Orion walked deeper into the woods. "Oh my God," Orion gasped. She saw Darla frozen in the air with a menacing look on her face. How was this possible? She thought. "Orion." A faint voice called to her. Orion walked towards the voice. It was Zoe. She ran to Zoe and knelt next to her. Zoe was severely burnt. "Zoe, who did this to you?" Orion asked for the answer but did not want to accept it. "Darla, betrayer," Zoe whispered. Orion looked at Darla. She felt sadness and anger all at once. Orion tried to pick up Zoe. "I will take you back to the others and get you help," Orion told her. "No time." Zoe coughed. "You must tell everyone. You are the leader now." Zoe touched Orion's face. She smiled at her. " I believe in you." Zoe gasped and took her last breath. "No, Zoe, come back." Orion felt tears running down her face as the sky turned dark. Orion heard Darla land behind her. She turned around. "You killed her!" She screamed. "You never liked her." Darla snarled. "She was the only family I had. Now I have no one." Zoe felt her hands starting to glow. " You have me. I made a deal with the Aliens." Orion didn't want to hear it. Her Aunt was dead. She shot beams of light at Darla. Darla flew away from it. She threw a fireball at Orion.

Orion ran fast. It seemed as if the fireball was going in slow motion. She saw it leaving Darla's hand. I have super speed, like Mom. Orion thought. Orion ran fast back to the homes. She had to warn them. It was too late. Orion saw alien ships coming down through the dark sky.

July 23, 2024 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.